U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 12:16 AM

11,678 posts, read 7,013,089 times

Advertisements

I recently gutted my kitchen and planned on using shaker style doors, but now I'm thinking about slab doors (flat white). I like the utilitarian/simple look of slabs (and the ease of cleaning), but I don't want a style that comes across as modern in a very basic brick ranch house. I'm wondering if using more traditional touches like crown molding, butcherblock, traditional pulls, farm sink, etc would prevent the slab cabinets from coming across as modern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 12:30 AM

4,376 posts, read 5,884,889 times
Wouldn't a brick ranch in the 60's be considered a mid-century modern? All the things you mention don't match the style of the era. My last house was a 1960 rancher and the original cabinet doors were flat and metal, I think they were brown. When I redid the kitchen, I tried to mimic the look by installing flat white high-gloss cabinets with brushed-nickel modern pulls. I think the slab doors would be more in keeping with the style of the home.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:29 AM

914 posts, read 769,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Wouldn't a brick ranch in the 60's be considered a mid-century modern? All the things you mention don't match the style of the era. My last house was a 1960 rancher and the original cabinet doors were flat and metal, I think they were brown. When I redid the kitchen, I tried to mimic the look by installing flat white high-gloss cabinets with brushed-nickel modern pulls. I think the slab doors would be more in keeping with the style of the home.
Not all homes built in that era are mid century modern, even ranches. It depends on the house.

That being said, I don't think a 1960's ranch would lend itself to any specific design. It's not like a Victorian or a prairie style home. The OP would be fine with slab cabinets in there.

I probably woudn't put traditional crown molding on the slabs, but a more simplistic one, and modern or transitional door pulls. You might get away with a transitional look, but you won't be able to probably make it look traditional.

Here's the type of crown molding I'm talking about.

I like slab cabinets for the reasons you mention as well, but I don't think they do well with traditional style elements, and thus would probably look best with modern hardware, and other more modern finishes. I am going to go with shaker as I like a more transitional look. My taste would be more modern, but the home I bought has a mansard roof and is very traditional looking from the outside. Unless your ranch has very traditional elements on the outside, I would go for a more transitional or better yet, modern look. JMO. If your ranch truly is a mid century modern style, then go modern.

Last edited by twodoor2; 12-15-2015 at 05:42 AM..

Old 12-15-2015, 08:10 AM
Status: "Don't believe everything you think." (set 4 days ago)

30,065 posts, read 2,530,189 times
Good responses so far. I guess I'd go with the slab cabinets that you like since you described your house as "a very basic brick ranch". I love those kind of houses and those kind of cabinets. I also like the picture provided by twodoor2 in the post above.

Have fun, Eddie!

Old 12-15-2015, 09:10 AM

11,678 posts, read 7,013,089 times
Thanks for all the advice so far!

Definitely not mid cen modern.

The exterior is basically this:
Attached Thumbnails
Slab cabinet doors in 60s ranch - do slab doors always look modern?-image.jpeg  

Old 12-15-2015, 10:52 AM

21,017 posts, read 11,648,200 times
I think that slab doors will not look that great with the more traditional style you are talking about. They would work for a transitional style kitchen like twodoor posted, but not with a traditional one. This is aside from the style of the house itself, but with the other touches you are talking about like butcherblock, traditional pulls, etc.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:16 PM

21,603 posts, read 14,211,633 times
If your house has flat slab doors in the halls and rooms, then I don't know why slab doors in the kitchen would look bad. If the interior doors are traditional, then I think I'd go with traditional doors in the kitchen.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:35 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,503,971 times
It's not "modern" but it certainly looks "mid-century." It looks like it was built in the late 1960s, so I don't see why slab doors would be inappropriate. In fact, I'd say that crown molding would not be in keeping with the era of the house. I've had several relatives with homes that look somewhat like yours and the doors in the homes were never paneled and the kitchen cabinets were somewhat plain. Not as modern as the look pictured above (for instance, knobs instead of vertical pulls), and Formica countertops with drop-in sinks.

Here are some photos of 1960s-era kitchens from the website Retro Renovation:
1960's kitchens, bathrooms & more - Retro Renovation

Old 12-15-2015, 03:56 PM

28,430 posts, read 70,801,315 times
Ugh there is quite a mix from the link Jukesrrl shared-- you would not find ANYONE that wants this kind of look --

But a "streamlined" look could be appropriate in a nicely updated ranch that would include "slab" doors --

Old 12-15-2015, 04:00 PM

21,017 posts, read 11,648,200 times
I agree that is streamlined look with slab doors *could* look fine in the kitchen in a ranch house. However since the OP seems to be looking for more of a farmhouse, traditional style I don't think that the slab cabinets go with that.

I also don't think that you have to match when the house was built if you prefer to renovate in a different style. This is an update, not a period piece restoration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating