Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 03:29 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times

Advertisements

I have a sliding glass door in the master bedroom with a southern exposure. The door leads out to a deck, but I rarely use that door. The light is blinding in the morning and I want to replace the current crappy drapes that came with the house with blackout drapes and sheers.

I'm thinking a curtain rod for grommet style drapes, but what for the sheers?

Today is the last day of 50% off of window treatments at penney's.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 03:33 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
You can get a double cafe rod bracket, that would work in the pocket on the sheers and for the grommets of black out curtains.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:22 PM

5 posts, read 8,753 times
By using drapes, you'll lower heat gain dramatically.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:30 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Something like this would probably look nice:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Old 01-12-2016, 06:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I'm glad you asked this. I was thinking about the same thing for our family room. Looking forward to replies.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:36 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
elnina, that first pic is beautiful. I ended up buying some navy blue blackout drapes with grey sheers. My walls are painted November Rain. The rug is navy with flowers.

Now I have an issue with the kitchen. The southern exposure is blinding in the morning. I bought a mini blind, but the hardware won't stay put to mount it. I'm thinking a tension rod and curtains. The kitchen window looks out on the deck and the forest beyond.

Any suggestions? I would leave the window undressed if not for the sun problem.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:50 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
elnina, that first pic is beautiful. I ended up buying some navy blue blackout drapes with grey sheers. My walls are painted November Rain. The rug is navy with flowers.

Now I have an issue with the kitchen. The southern exposure is blinding in the morning. I bought a mini blind, but the hardware won't stay put to mount it. I'm thinking a tension rod and curtains. The kitchen window looks out on the deck and the forest beyond.

Any suggestions? I would leave the window undressed if not for the sun problem.
You could do that - a tension rod with sheers, then a rod over that for curtains. Too bad the mini-blinds brackets or whatever are causing an issue, since it can be a nice option to filter light.

I have installed the Bali accordian shades. They cost a bit more, but I think are worth it. The thing is, there are brackets with those too, placed in the outer corners inside the window frame or outside, if over the window frame. The shade raises and lowers with a light touch and have not had a problem with them. They are available in light-filtering or a blackout (light beige) color, in different widths.

There was an earlier version of this style by Redi-shade, which could stick on to the surface OR by screwing in brackets. I have one in a bathroom window (in front of mini-blinds in the frame) and has held up fine for a few years. It raises and lowers by pressing a button in the bar (but they unfortunately stopped making this style). Then, I have a light curtain in front. This gives the options to keep out heat and light or opening everything to whatever degree I want, to allow for light and fresh air.

However, Redi-Shade makes other products, so you might check for newer options. It seems there was one that fit into the frame via a tension mechanism. They had another version I purchased prior, which also raises and lowers by touch, but is cheaper, having a lightweight, plastic bar and the mechanism doesn't always allow for raising after being pulled downward, seeing that others had problems with them, too. (I just gather the folds of the shade, to help it up manually). I just like this and that light can be blocked out if sleeping in, having sheers and draperies over them.

Sounds like you have a lovely view from that window - Good luck.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 01-18-2016 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating