Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 09:22 PM

563 posts, read 1,787,456 times

Advertisements

Either the OP is leaving out a lot of info, or the contractor doesn't want to do the job for whatever reason and gave an absurd quote that would make it worth his/her time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 10:02 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We pretty much gutted ours (See the blog for pictures) and it was part of a full kitchen and both baths project. I believe the master bath portion was around $12k.

The master bath pictures start on page 2 of the blog.

Las Vegas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I keep seeing what I think are really nutty quotes for what THIS PARTICULAR POSTER wants to do:

Tek_Freek, I've rep'd you already on your remodel -- loved your thread and especially the blog! But you really did do a complete gut (not just of the master bath).
Sorry for the misunderstanding. My point was that we had our (fairly large) bath pretty much gutted and that cost around $12k. It was meant to show how ridiculous the quotes were for the relatively small amount of work the OP wanted done.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,632 times
We have in vested 9k in labor and 6k on materials on our total bathroom remodeling. I have researched proper tile installation, because on day one we found small hairline cracks in the grout. When I mentioned this to our contractor, he got all defensive and said we were being nit picky. I was furious. Nonsanded grout was used on the tile around tub on grout lines as big as 1/2 inch. The grout is flaky at places and the color isn't consistent. He agreed to fix it but he wants us to pay for the time it takes to fix it. I said not only am I not paying for your mistakes, I'm withholding the last payment until it's fixed properly. How do I know if this is being done properly. I'm afraid down the road we will see problems with water damage. Also the shower pan he installed and tiled over flexes when you stand on it. His suggestion for that is "if" it causes problema he can spray the foam stuff underneath to support it?? What? Only grout has been used and no caulk even in the corners and the changes of plane. I'm stressed beyond belief. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I just did a major bath renovation for over $30,000, so don't feel bad.
Right - we just got a bid on remodeling our master bath and it was $23k.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:55 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
Depends upon the size. I have a small (roughly 6' x 8') bathroom that I was considering redoing this year before another reno project became more of a priority.

I'm thinking that it might be cheaper to get one thing done at a time in the bathroom... get the toilet done, then later the bath, then the sink. Cheaper, but not faster. That's the catch.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:51 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I have no idea what sort of shopping you've done, but a very, very, very, basic vanity set-up for dual sinks is NOT "just a few hundred dollars" -- Kohler K-99537-LGSD-1WA Poplin 60-Inch Vanity with Furniture Legs, 2 Doors and 3 Drawers, Split Top Drawer Linen White*-*eFaucets.com

Add a countertop, sinks, faucets, drains and I would not be the least bit surprised if that is a $2500++ investment. It will likely hold up to humidity and daily wear& tear of a real master bath for 20+ years. The cheap stuff? Maybe a year or two before they literally crumble...

On a per sq ft basis trying to update an older bath, and doing it properly, with good quality materials is the most costly space to renovate. The folks that do not understand the problems that result from hiring some amateur should do some googling -- when tile is not properly installed the grout cracks and tile break. Water gets under the shower pan. The hidden parts of the tub leak into the wall. Failing to understand the damaging effects of moisture will result in mold, rot, and eventual structural failure...
I am sorry but you are completely wrong. Low priced off the shelf vanities can last decades. You have confused aspirational bathrooms with function. Don't feel bad we are bombarded with imagery intended to make us that cabinets need 1000 stone surfaces from across the globe. Just a few decades ago we were ripping out that nasty old marble , today we are putting it right back and calling it new...

Old 04-19-2016, 11:35 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Nope, get your facts straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I am sorry but you are completely wrong. Low priced off the shelf vanities can last decades. You have confused aspirational bathrooms with function. Don't feel bad we are bombarded with imagery intended to make us that cabinets need 1000 stone surfaces from across the globe. Just a few decades ago we were ripping out that nasty old marble , today we are putting it right back and calling it new...
Right now the "bombardment" is from cheaply offshore made junk. If you bought such garbage you'll soon feel bad when it starts coming apart. The folks that decide to stock this at the local big box stores don't really care if the next owner of the house ends having to replace it becuase the majority of low information consumers will be motivated only by low cost and not quality.

At a minimum folks should look for vanities that have passed KCMA Certification -- KCMA : Performance Testing & Certification Program

Old 04-19-2016, 01:57 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Have to agree. The 60s home I bought had one of the cheapo vanities from Lowes ($100-200) that was probably put in mid-90s. It was like wood looking paper glued to particle board. It wasn't in perfect shape, but functionally it was fine. The cheapo seashell shaped top was in nearly perfect condition. Most working class people I know put in similar/slightly nicer stuff and use it 20+ years. It would be very rare to find $2k+ vanities in <$125k homes in the rural south.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:08 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
We had ours gutted and plumbing moved; even toilet went to differnt area. $35K.
Attached Thumbnails
10 thousand for a bathroom remodel ?-image.jpeg  

Last edited by WorldKlas; 04-19-2016 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: Add photod

Old 04-19-2016, 02:10 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
More photos.
Attached Thumbnails
10 thousand for a bathroom remodel ?-image.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating