Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 06:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I am in love with SW sea salt. I tend to decorate with lots of white and sand shades with pops of light green/blue. I had painted my bedroom in SW sea salt. Then my kitchen. Now I'm so in love with it, I'm thinking about using the shade in my great room.

Originally, I had planned to use sea salt, comfort gray, and another related color. But whenever I do samples on my wall, I keep coming back to seasalt.

Has anyone else just picked one shade? If it helps, the reason why I love this shade so much is because it looks different colors in different lights: in my bedroom, it looks very blue, in the kitchen, it almost looks like a green/gray.

Also, I am planning to sell within a year and a half so re-sale is important to me.
If it looks good in all your rooms, why not? It is a very pretty color, and much more interesting than white or beige.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 07:12 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Yes. Our is. A modern duplex. We treat the walls as an art gallery.
Kwal Accu-Pro, Interior Flat Latex, white base 0910, CL 3211W “wash basin”
I agree, the walls in our home are the "back drop" not the decoration. We chose a very light warm grey and each room has its own character defined by the furnishings and accessories. It creates a harmoneous feel to the home and makes it a lot easier to change the ambience of a room by just changing the accessories!

Old 01-31-2016, 07:14 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Yes, we prefer one color with other color brought in with curtains, throws, rugs, pillows, etc.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:38 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Yes. Our is. A modern duplex. We treat the walls as an art gallery.
Kwal Accu-Pro, Interior Flat Latex, white base 0910, CL 3211W “wash basin”
Wow, is that really your house? It's definitely not what people would think of when they see the word "duplex". I think the modern term is "twin home".

Old 02-01-2016, 04:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No, I wouldn't want to have my entire house painted the same color. I like variety, and like to set moods in each room with wall color.
Exactly my thoughts! I wouldn't want everything in one one colour. No room for inspiration then!

Old 02-01-2016, 05:01 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
It's your house, you can do whatever you want. I would consider that Sea Salt a neutral color. It's not bold or flashy by any means and you can put just about every color with it and it will match.

Personally, I like the variety of colors in rooms. Our main living areas are all the same color because they are open to each other, but our bedrooms are all different colors, our bathrooms are all different colors and out kitchen is a different color.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:41 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
My house is a semi-open floorplan, so we have just one color on the walls with the exception of the kids' rooms. Neighbors with similar homes have sometimes chosen to paint accent walls, but I think it's a dated look in these houses, although I've seen it used to great effect elsewhere.

BTW, I love the OP's color choice.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:59 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
My house is all one color (SW Colonnade Gray) because that was what the builder offered, I couldn't select different colors for different rooms. I was a little aprehensive at first because I liked having different colors in prior homes. But I've ended up really liking the single color - my first floor is totally open floor plan so of course it works there, but even upstairs, with the individual bedrooms, I like the single neutral color. I used different accent colors throughout so each room has individuality but there is continuity and flow between them. I'm not sure what I will do when the time comes to repaint - it would certainly be easier to paint individual rooms one at a time, and perhaps go back to separate colors, but at least for now, I would still lean towards keeping the single color throughout.

I love the Sea Salt, it's a great color, but I would definitely paint large posterboard swatches and move them from room to room at different times of day to make sure it works in every room. I would consider it neutral, but you never know what paint is going to look like in the actual conditions of your home.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:22 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
The sea salt is most definitely a neutral color.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:50 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I've done this in all my rooms except one. I used a historic homes color by Valspar; I think it's called Jekyll Island Veranda Ivory, or something similar. It's a warm cream that looks good with the heart pine floors and my antique furniture as well. It even goes with the vintage blue tile and fixtures in my bathroom. I find the color soothing and a good background for artwork. Of course, then you get to my kitchen, which is red with white trim to coordinate with my vintage restored stove - it's quite a contrast to the rest of the house. Everyone who has seen it loves the colors though.
"They" used to say carry a single color throughout...since you love your red kitchen pick one accessories per room..i.e. pillows, fabrics, drapes, art, vase...if you wanted to add pops of reds in the other rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating