U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 07:28 PM

572 posts, read 423,847 times

Advertisements

I'm renovating my family room soon and I want to remove the ancient carpet in there and put down wood-look tile. I had no idea there were so many brands! Does anyone have a favorite for a couple in their mid-30's with two active children? We want something durable, easy to clean, and pretty. Also... any ideas what the price per square foot should be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 11:05 PM

11,876 posts, read 45,676,236 times
If this is what you're dead set on-

Go with the cheapest crap you can find! It is sooooo trendy right now:

tren-dy (adj); here today, gone tomorrow.

Meaning- you'll be so over it in a couple of years you'll want to rip that out and do something more "timeless" like real hardwood flooring.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:07 AM

562 posts, read 467,518 times
We went thru Home Depot they had Montagna Gunstock , its a hand-scraped wood look porcelain tile, and it actually looks like wood when installed with a narrow grout line. I don't think its trendy at all. It will last along time. Its 2.39 a square foot. Its easy to care for and it looks beautiful. Every person that comes in our house thinks its wood flooring and compliments us. For children and pets its a perfect flooring.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:00 AM

379 posts, read 291,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

Meaning- you'll be so over it in a couple of years you'll want to rip that out and do something more "timeless" like real hardwood flooring.

What a rude remark... the OP was NOT looking for opinions on what you think about wood tile.

We put in porcelain wood tile that we purchased from Lowes. It turned out really nice looking for us. We have had a ton of compliments on it. Here is the link to the ones we purchased...

Shop Style Selections Brazilian Pecan Natural Glazed Porcelain Indoor/Outdoor Floor Tile (Common: 6-in x 36-in; Actual: 5.75-in x 35.75-in) at Lowes.com

We just walked into Lowes and took them home ourselves. For any of the chipped or screwy looking tiles, we set them aside and just took them back. It was no big deal.
Good luck with your choice...there are so many to choose from!

Old 02-10-2016, 08:50 AM

914 posts, read 700,159 times
Not sure of brands, but I would go with a flat finish. I've seen the fake wood tile in a glossy finish, and it's probably hard to keep clean looking, as well as it screams fake looking to me. I would also go with grout lines as small and narrow as possible.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:36 PM

6,810 posts, read 14,586,342 times
Check the tile for crown and cup (aka "lippage") - a lot of the wood-look tiles are long and narrow and can be pretty bad. Lay several of the tiles on the floor and see if you can rock them. Flip the tile over and try it again. The worse the rock, the less the tile can be overlapped to get a running pattern.

We put a grey barnwood tile in the laundry room and I love it, but it was hard to put in because of lippage. I had to use a fairly thick thinset bed and be very careful with the placement of tile and the overlap.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:54 PM

563 posts, read 1,280,579 times
We put the stuff from home depot in our rental unit, it is quite nice. Just keep the grout lines small and the same color as the tile, it will be beautiful.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

The room is on a slab, so I don't think hardwood is in my future. But thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
We put in porcelain wood tile that we purchased from Lowes. It turned out really nice looking for us. We have had a ton of compliments on it. Here is the link to the ones we purchased...

Shop Style Selections Brazilian Pecan Natural Glazed Porcelain Indoor/Outdoor Floor Tile (Common: 6-in x 36-in; Actual: 5.75-in x 35.75-in) at Lowes.com

We just walked into Lowes and took them home ourselves. For any of the chipped or screwy looking tiles, we set them aside and just took them back. It was no big deal.
Good luck with your choice...there are so many to choose from!
I just sent that link to my husband! Great color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
We went thru Home Depot they had Montagna Gunstock , its a hand-scraped wood look porcelain tile, and it actually looks like wood when installed with a narrow grout line. I don't think its trendy at all. It will last along time. Its 2.39 a square foot. Its easy to care for and it looks beautiful. Every person that comes in our house thinks its wood flooring and compliments us. For children and pets its a perfect flooring.
I like this too. Thank you for the tips!

Old 02-12-2016, 07:50 PM

1,283 posts, read 825,667 times
I was at a flooring and design place today and looked at some of these myself. I am thinking of maybe putting it in my upstairs bathroom someday -- not this year, too many other projects going on right now.

I have used a porcelain tile that looks like slate in my entrance way and half-bath and am putting it in my kitchen and front hallway next. I love it, it looks like slate, but is maintenance free. It is really amazing what they can do with porcelain tile these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating