Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 07:18 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times

Advertisements

I would second taking down that lone cabinet. Go find a big metal sculpture for the space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:09 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
You can probably do the cabinet over the sink like you wanted but add a shelf like this.

http://img.8-ball.work/2015/09/28/ab...eede776352.jpg

But in all honesty, the two pictures you posted. Those are hideous designs (especially seeing the whole picture).
I would go with something like this or a glass front cabinet with interior lighting, and use it to display some pretty things.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:37 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,152 times
I'm kind of favoring the cabinet over the sink idea, but we heard back from our builder and they'd want just over $1000 to put a cabinet in with (I think) two 2' flourescent bulbs underneath. Screw that. One option might be to just have a cabinet put in without a light (about $400 I think) and find our own under-cabinet solution. The other option is to simply leave it alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The more I look at your kitchen, the more I realize that the sink area looks unfinished because that is not the right light for the space. I think if you chose a different and more appealing light fixture it might solve your problem. Of course the only ones I can think of would be equivalent to something you'd find in a bathroom over the sink. You'd need to choose carefully but it could be fun.
I think you are on to something. I found a photo of a very similar house where they changed the light fixture over the sink:

I suppose we'd have to look under the "Vanity Lighting" section of home improvement stores. I'd like to find a modern-looking fixture that wouldn't look like it fundamentally belongs in a bathroom.

(1.) How hard would it be to swap out a light fixture like that on our own? I wonder if our builder would do it for us if we purchased the light. Would probably get reamed for the cost of installation.

(2.) Generally, is any additional wiring needed if you're going from one bulb to three bulbs? (We would be using low wattage CFLs / LEDs, so maybe that's not an issue.)

Here are some I was looking at online, just to get some ideas:

(A)

(B) I wonder if this one could be rotated 180 degrees.

(C)

(D)

(E)

(F)

(G)

(H)

(I)

(J) Another one that would need to be rotated 180 degrees.

(K) Another one that needs rotating

(L)

(M)

(N) another 180 flip

(O)

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 02-13-2016 at 04:54 AM..

Old 02-13-2016, 04:24 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,117,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
That has a window so that's why it's ok to have a huge gap over the sink.
There isn't a huge gap, there is a trim piece the connects the cabinets so the lone cabinet won't looked lost in space.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:10 AM

I really like the looks of these Toltec Lighting Capri models:

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 02-13-2016 at 05:27 AM..

Old 02-13-2016, 06:51 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I think it looks odd with nothing there. I think what I dislike the most is the light fixture plopped in the middle of it. The good news is that you have the means to hardwire the lighting you choose instead.

I have a stepped up cupboard over my sink. The bottom of the doors is nose level. There is a LED strip light under it, which gives plenty of light, and I still have enough room for a decent sized piece of artwork under the cupboard. I like having something to look at, besides a blank wall. Alternatively, if you are putting in a backsplash, you could have a design over the sink as a focal point, instead of art.

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-24-2020 at 07:07 AM..

Old 02-13-2016, 08:05 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Thanks for supporting my idea about the vanity lights. You might want to splurge and get something very modern to go with the feel of the cabinets, since it is a highlight of the kitchen area.

Another idea for your kitchen in the future would be to put glass front doors and glass shelves on the lone cabinet to the left of the sink and treat it as a display case, for example for attractive pottery. Ideally there would be lighting in that cabinet. That would provide a lovely transition from the living area to the kitchen. Alternatively you could replace it with heavy wood shelving of the same finish as the cabinets.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:36 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
Replacing light fixtures is a pretty easy job. A perfect one for first time homebuyers to jump into the Wonderful World of Home Improvement. Check YouTube for how-to videos. Turn the power off before you start

Enjoy your new home!

Old 02-13-2016, 10:00 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Thanks for supporting my idea about the vanity lights.
I supported it all the way back in post #28. In bold!!

OP, the builder says adding a cabinet will be $1k because you will also have to add trim pieces etc to make it look as nice as the one in gentlearts' kitchen. A bit of extra labor.

Changing out a light is a good first-time project, especially since it's not overhead. As has been said, you can watch tutorials and do it yourself.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Changing out a light is a good first-time project, especially since it's not overhead. As has been said, you can watch tutorials and do it yourself.
What I worry about is how the light fixture would be supported on the wall? What if the support that's there now won't support a heavier fixture? I suppose I'd just have the builder install it if they would do it for a reasonable price.

Is it basically as simple as removing the old fixture, wiring up the new one, then using a drill to drill the support screws for the new fixture into the wall? I guess I could do that.

Quote:
Turn the power off before you start
The entire power for the house, or just the particular light switch that controls that light? <Edit> Duh, just the circuit breaker for the Kitchen.

I think I'm smitten with those Toltec lights; they just look so great. I'd like to find more that look like that. If space/support allows, perhaps a 4 light version would be better. (Planning to fill with CFLs / LED bulbs, so cost of running three or four lights shouldn't be an issue.)

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 02-13-2016 at 01:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating