U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:28 PM

17,568 posts, read 21,748,544 times

Advertisements

While my home is from the 1920s, we have an extension built in 1959. The 20s through 50s and early 60s are some of my favorite periods in home design - interior and exterior.

I collect mid century antiques - Heywood Wakefield, Viking glass, chrome craft dinettes, mid century lamps with fiberglass shades, those Libby glasses that were on "Madmen" with the frosted gold leaves.

Also, I am not adverse to good reproductions - Joybird comes to mind.

What do you collect? How did you get into it? Please do tell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 11:36 PM

4,083 posts, read 5,498,726 times
Maybe you should be more descriptive in your title? Like "Mid-Century Modern Collectibles"? I didn't know what "MCM Anyone?" meant....

Old 02-22-2016, 06:05 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,563,632 times
I've found some Libby glasses that our parents had in a little vintage store. Just the other
day I was looking at Craigslist near a metro area and I was very surprised what I saw. However,
I'd rather buy from a shop but on this city's site, several things that caught my eye were from
an antique store.

Came across this:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mallorymcinn...ore#.vobroQWLk

Old 02-22-2016, 10:32 AM

2,689 posts, read 1,770,456 times
What do I collect? Dishes, mostly. Anywhere I can find them!

Food-service china counts, right?

Old 02-22-2016, 10:52 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,288,199 times
You and everyone else. I can't wait for it to become unpopular again. Prices are out of hand.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:33 AM

94 posts, read 59,034 times
I don't collect much of anything, but I do have 1920's crystal and china. I never liked them, but they've grown on me over the years. Attached is a photo of some... I've been searching for a pattern like this since I've broken a few over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
MCM anyone?-img_3027.jpg  

Old 02-22-2016, 11:54 AM

2,689 posts, read 1,770,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveSpringNewb View Post
I don't collect much of anything, but I do have 1920's crystal and china. I never liked them, but they've grown on me over the years. Attached is a photo of some... I've been searching for a pattern like this since I've broken a few over the years.

I may have something similar to the glass in the middle.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:15 PM

5,586 posts, read 11,837,023 times
My collecting goes back a little farther. I collect the real oil lamps. Like Aladdin, Bradley and Hubbard, OVB, etc. The best of my collection is a piano lamp that is a B&H that extends upward to 8 feet. It has the quik light feature, siliconized banquet glass, and the 1 3/4" round wick. I have the railroad lamps too. All are US made and at least 100 years old and they all work. I also collect old license plates. I have them back to 1935 Texas. I collect the old auto accessories like bullet mirrors that went on the front fenders, thru the door spotlights, model T tools and parts, etc. The wife already has the house looking like a museum with all of the old furniture, some of which dates back to the Civil War. I also collect old pictures/photographs of our Texas. I have 1000's. I collect old Edison records too.

Piano lamp but with the wrong glass

Old 02-27-2016, 01:48 PM

5,076 posts, read 7,966,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You and everyone else. I can't wait for it to become unpopular again. Prices are out of hand.
No kidding. Since we bought an MCM home we wanted to put in some inexpensive starter furniture that was period correct. Easier said than done with the "inexpensive" part.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:58 PM

3,431 posts, read 2,751,065 times
I have a MCM footstool (tripod with big vinyl orange top cushion) that I found several years ago via Kijiji (I guess that's Craigslist classified ads in the States). It came from an elderly man who was downsizing, he was basically liquidating a huge apartment full of MCM piece, all mint condition. It was like stepping inside a time travel machine and visiting 1965.

I don't really decorate with this trend, but I notice that it's possible to blend MCM pieces with some current modern style pieces and they fit together quite well, kind of transitional-modernist if I can call it that. West Elm has some versatile stuff that works. A Canadian furniture company, EQ3, has a line called Assembly that has furniture and home accessories by modernist Canadian designers. They also carry Marimekko textiles and housewares, which fit in well with MCM interiors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating