Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 11:13 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,418,383 times

Advertisements

Something else that might be fun, is to do a barn door type sliding window covering. It would create an interesting focal point. You can use different style hardware and use simple panels - they don't have to look like rustic barn doors. Here are a few ideas:

https://sbs.zd-cms.com/cms/res/image...o_original.jpg

http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/wp-cont...-2-500x375.jpg

https://sbs.zd-cms.com/cms/res/image...m_original.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 05:53 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,108,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It makes the room look unfinished to me. I'd hang a blind above the window, and frame it with a curtain on either side. You can hang them from the ceiling, and none of them would block the window and your beautiful view. But, you could close them if you ever wanted to.
I agree, put something up there, even if it is just a sheer swag. If you are ok with the lack of privacy (what happens in the winter when the leaves are gone) that is up to you. I'm not a fan of "drapes" either so I would probably put up a fabric cornice board and some cellular shades if that were my room. You can keep the shades up most of the time and the cornice board would finish off the window but still give you the view.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:21 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,529,442 times
You've got a beautiful view.

Also, that looks like a typical MCM type window - where they were placed high in the wall, and wide .. to let in lots of light, but were not tall windows. Thus, especially as this is a 2nd story, it's unlikely someone from the street would ever see much more than someone's upper torso/head.

That said - I'd still go out to the street and have a friend/spouse stand in the room to see exactly what is visible.

Assuming the answer is "nothing much" .. then window coverings are strictly and aesthetic and/or insulative question.

As far as what other's think... doesn't really matter. When you're selling, nit-picky buyers will find whatever reasons they want to be crazy. Lack of drapes/window coverings in one room shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Enjoy your lovely view!

Old 03-03-2016, 10:36 AM

936 posts, read 2,073,831 times
Thank you, last night I went outside and checked like many of you have said, you could actually see inside the room when it is lit. I may try a zebra blind. The barn window type looks nice but it doesn't fit well with my attempt to have minimalist/modern house.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:20 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,038,846 times
Put up some nice curtains cause yes it makes the room look like it is undone sorry .

Old 03-03-2016, 11:26 AM

18,436 posts, read 31,562,778 times
I like the bare look also, especially with the trees.

I live on the 4th floor so all my windows have nothing on them. Well, I have shades that I keep all rolled up. When i go to bed I roll them down in the bedroom. In the day, rolled up and they basically go away. I have plants hanging in all my windows so to me, that is my window dressing.

If you go out at night and try to look in, if you happy with the amount of privacy the trees give you, then thats great.

You dont have to put anything up though, its your home, ONLY YOU get to deceide that......

by looking at the picture again, you can mount on the inside of the window, since the top half looks like it has a few inches to spare, a regular roller type shade. All rolled up, it will look like nothing, and if and when you feel you need privacy / light control, it is there to be rolled down.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:35 AM

50,229 posts, read 63,734,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I like the bare look also, especially with the trees.

I live on the 4th floor so all my windows have nothing on them. Well, I have shades that I keep all rolled up. When i go to bed I roll them down in the bedroom. In the day, rolled up and they basically go away. I have plants hanging in all my windows so to me, that is my window dressing.

If you go out at night and try to look in, if you happy with the amount of privacy the trees give you, then thats great.

You dont have to put anything up though, its your home, ONLY YOU get to deceide that......

by looking at the picture again, you can mount on the inside of the window, since the top half looks like it has a few inches to spare, a regular roller type shade. All rolled up, it will look like nothing, and if and when you feel you need privacy / light control, it is there to be rolled down.
Here's the thing though...if he wants the windows open and wants the shade down, the air can't get through. I can hear it going bang bang all night. With a curtain, he can slide one side, or both sides towards the center. Or with a sheer, he can leave them closed and the breeze can still come through.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:48 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,707,803 times
From your photos, I see a walkway, a street, and cars parked on that street. People certainly would be able to see in at night, when your lights are on. For that reason, I'd feel uncomfortable being in that room at night without any curtains.

I don't mind a bare window, and have had some in my home. But I've never done that in my bedroom. I can understand why someone might do it if you were way out in the country or backed up to a large lake or something, where there was no chance at all anyone would be seeing anything. But I personally wouldn't be comfortable.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:10 PM

292 posts, read 1,242,970 times
How about 2" blinds in a solid color or modern wood with fabric tapes? We have these in on a similarly-sized window, and it allows as much light and air as we'd like.

https://www.blinds.com/p/blindscom-2...d-blind/517899

Old 03-04-2016, 10:13 AM

18,436 posts, read 31,562,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here's the thing though...if he wants the windows open and wants the shade down, the air can't get through. I can hear it going bang bang all night. With a curtain, he can slide one side, or both sides towards the center. Or with a sheer, he can leave them closed and the breeze can still come through.

yes, thats true,
I didnt think of that, because it is a sliding window.

my bad

only with the windows closed then......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating