Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 11:34 AM

936 posts, read 2,081,618 times

Advertisements

I just bought a house and repainted the interior. I took down the existing curtains in the Master Bed which is not very attractive. Since it is on the second floor and there are many trees next to the window, privacy is not an issue. It doesn't get much sunlight either because it faces NE and the trees so close to the windows. I also love to see the trees and bought this house because of this.

So you think it is OK to leave the window bare? Does it look weird leaving a bedroom window uncovered?

thanks,

Attached Thumbnails
Is it ever OK to not have curtains or blinds for Master bed window?-window2.jpg   Is it ever OK to not have curtains or blinds for Master bed window?-window3.jpg   Is it ever OK to not have curtains or blinds for Master bed window?-window4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 11:36 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
If you don't want them don't put them up, just be sure your neighbors will not have a reason to call and complain about inappropriate exposure that they can see from their homes.
The last home we rented we did not have curtains however, we lived in the country and our only neighbors were the cows in the pasture.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:36 AM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
How does it open? It doesn't look like a standard window.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:44 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,137 times
Why do you care if it looks strange or not? I thought the reason to have a home(private residence) was to have your own space to do what you wanted with. The real question should be....do you like the wondows bare and if so then eff the opinions others.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:47 AM

936 posts, read 2,081,618 times
The two sliders slide toward the center to open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
How does it open? It doesn't look like a standard window.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:53 AM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
The two sliders slide toward the center to open.
Ok.

Personally I like having the option to close off the window. What if I want to nap in the middle of the day and it's too bright?

With sliders you can have either curtains or blinds. If you like minimal decor, go with blinds since they will only fit the window.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:57 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I love the look of no shade or curtain, but when you are in a lit bedroom and its dark outside, anyone outside will be able to see you, and even if there is never usually someone out there, you will not be able to see if there is or not.

I have this exact situation in one of my guest rooms; a slider, so I bought cotton voile tie tabs from Country Curtains. They can easily be pushed aside if the window is open, or they just waft in the breeze. The back yard is totally private, but I didn't want my guests to feel as if they are in a fish bowl. They let in lots of light, even when closed, but offer privacy at night.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
If you are uneasy about not having curtains, then put some up that can be pulled back from the window in the day, and pulled across the window at night.

Having nice curtains hanging, stacked on either side of the window, with attractive decorative rods, will make your room look finished. I think neutral colors are best. Hang them as high as you can and still have them reach the floor.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:42 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Sure, why not! You have lovely view from the window, and there is no privacy issue. You are not required to have drapes on your window.
In many countries people don't cover their windows.
Dutch people don't like curtains
http://www.desiretodecorate.com/2012...s-windows.html

While it doesn't apply to you, you can check on Peeping Tom laws in your town or county.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:16 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
It makes the room look unfinished to me. I'd hang a blind above the window, and frame it with a curtain on either side. You can hang them from the ceiling, and none of them would block the window and your beautiful view. But, you could close them if you ever wanted to.

I know a lot of people hang the curtains on either side with nothing above the window, and hang them from the ceiling. To me, that looks weird - to have nothing above the window. So, I'd do a blind above the window, with curtains on the sides, like this:

http://www.housetweaking.com/wp-cont...window-tx2.jpg

http://www.younghouselove.com/wp-con...ith-floor-.jpg

Or, you could just do the roll-up blind, and add artwork on the walls next to it, for a cleaner, more modern/minimalist look. I'd still hang the blind from the ceiling. These are some ideas. You'll have to use your imagination:

http://www.decorating-vacation-prope...l-up-blind.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SR160,160_.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1c0d9c3dce.jpg

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 03-02-2016 at 10:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating