Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 10:14 AM

400 posts, read 566,899 times

Advertisements

I'm having some problems picking an exterior door color that goes well with my house's trim and siding. the house is tan, the trim is Sherwin Williams "Muddled Basil", and the doors are currently a pretty strong red color. I've attached a couple pictures for reference. There is something about the Muddled Basil/red color combination that doesn't strike me as extremely pleasing, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's too Christmas like, I don't know.

What I'd really appreciate is some suggestions for colors to repaint my doors with. I would like to stay away from really garish colors, but do like the concept of the door color giving the house a little "pop".

My front door. I'd been washing some chalk drawings off, so there are wet spots on the brick.

My side door. It was earlier in the morning, so there is a bit of an off tint to the picture.

And closer up.

Attached Thumbnails
Help Picking Exterior Door Color-img_0150.jpg   Help Picking Exterior Door Color-img_0146.jpg   Help Picking Exterior Door Color-img_0149.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 11:32 AM

17,406 posts, read 65,568,867 times
I see nothing "wrong" with the current combination.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:57 AM

18,364 posts, read 31,445,727 times
Not loving the red, I'd go with a hunter green, also, the white frame on the back door needs to be painted the same color as the door.
jmo.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Not loving the red, I'd go with a hunter green, also, the white frame on the back door needs to be painted the same color as the door.
jmo.
Agreed on the frame. That used to be a solid door and I installed the window. That's one of the reasons I'm repainting - the door paint got scratched and I need to fix that and also do the frame. Figured I might as well think about changing colors at the same time.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:45 PM

22,265 posts, read 47,190,693 times
I like it how it is.
But if I was looking for a change, I would keep the red doors and repaint the trim black.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:56 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,032,663 times
My front door is muddled basil! I was a bit hesitant at first (builder chosen colors based on HOA mandate for a variety of color palattes) but now I love it.

My trim work is off white, which looks very nice next to the muddled basil and the other two paint colors on the house are a sand color kind of like this

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...ngColors&p=PS0

and a darker but not too dark brown.

Sherwin-Williams Paints, Stains, Supplies and Coating Solutions

I'm just guessing on the last two, as I don't recall the specific names. Muddled Basil stuck with me, though! lol!

Old 05-17-2016, 02:00 PM

914 posts, read 1,127,321 times
I like the current combination, maybe just address the trim, make it off white or black, in order to make the door pop more.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:41 PM

41,737 posts, read 74,684,043 times
I kinda like it as is, but ... What about a paler version of the green, or a very light buttery yellow? I can't really tell what color the brick is, though. Is it grey?

Old 05-17-2016, 07:28 PM

This has been an interesting thread, I'll honestly say I'm glad to hear that most people are OK with the combination. I didn't think that would be the result when I posted it. To answer a few of the questions...

- I don't think I can change the color of the trim around the doors. Well.....I can, but it would involve painting the trim on the rest of the house. I really, really, really don't want to do that. And I like the Muddled Basil color, so I think it's staying.

- The brick is a mix of colors, it has some pinks, browns, and greys in it. It's only located on the front of the house, under the porch that the front door is located on.

I think this is going to be one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" things. The good news is that it means there is a whole lot less painting in my future! I can touch up the dings on the side door and paint the white trim on the new window and call it a day. I've got some other house projects I'd rather be starting this summer anyway.

Thanks everyone!

Old 05-17-2016, 11:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,935,403 times
Well, I have to say that I agree with the original post. I don't like the intensities of the two colors together. However, it simply may be that different people like different things.

My first thought was that the red could be toned down with a gray/green glaze. That would tone the really loud red down, and make the door relate better to the green trim.

Sherwin Williams shows a blue as a possible accent color.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...ngColors&p=PS0

I like Let it Rain. But you would have to get a chip and hold it up outside to see how well it would go. It seems to me there is a bluish tint in the mortar of the brick and that color of blue might work. For the side doors, I don't know why you wouldn't have them the basil green rather than the red or another color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating