Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 03:49 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,276,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post
I was wondering when someone would suggest this ^.

With a new residence, many people rush to fill it with stuff so it looks "lived in" and "complete/finished".

My wife was this way but I talked her into going slow to see how each room would inspire us to get what was needed for how we ended up using the room.

For example, we thought the DR table would go a certain way, hung the ceiling light to be over the table; after a couple years we moved the table because it wasn't working the way we ended up using the room. Also, we just got a 1920's sideboard and needed to move the table to put the sideboard where it best went.

We surprised ourselves by moving some LR furniture into the DR and it works for us. The LR is being decorated with Turn of the Century originals and reproductions for a "parlor" look.

Point being, if you go slow in furnishing your new home, you may find yourself more successful at getting things that please and work for you. Live in the new home to be sure you know what you need; not just what is typical/normal to need.
Right. Plus, you might find that you discover an "inspiration" piece (maybe like your sideboard) and then you build a room around that one thing. I am one who doesn't like matchy-match furniture sets anyway, so YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 11:30 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,356,489 times
Furniture tends to go on sale after Christmas, sometime around February you can get some good deals. Also a good time to get rugs, curtains, lamps, etc.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:18 PM

26 posts, read 31,400 times
It may also depend on the quality but you could do that very efficiently in this budget.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:59 PM

8,121 posts, read 8,303,630 times
We bought some nice pieces at a consignment store in Dallas called Dolce; and our couch at The Dump. Bought the bar/dining buffet as floor sample at Bova outlet. Bought our diningroom set at a restaurant supply place in Dallas on Riverside Blvd. Except for the TV, all the stuff together in this photo was about $5K. Bought both 8x10 rugs online just by comparing the same brand on diff on-line rug sellers (wool rugs) for about $300 each.
Attached Thumbnails
Can I furnish my house with only K?-image.jpeg  

Old 06-20-2016, 04:04 PM

8,121 posts, read 8,303,630 times
$5K includes the artwork, too
Attached Thumbnails
Can I furnish my house with only K?-image.jpeg  

Old 06-20-2016, 04:07 PM
ptt

497 posts, read 635,596 times
combind estate sales, online stores, ikea, thift shops, and flea markets you could have them all less than 10K

Old 06-21-2016, 03:05 PM

424 posts, read 667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
$5K includes the artwork, too
Very nice!

Old 06-28-2016, 10:49 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,622,991 times
You could do it for less than 3k shopping local estate sales, craigslist, consignments stores if you have a good eye for quality.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:28 AM

16,175 posts, read 32,438,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We bought some nice pieces at a consignment store in Dallas called Dolce; and our couch at The Dump. Bought the bar/dining buffet as floor sample at Bova outlet. Bought our diningroom set at a restaurant supply place in Dallas on Riverside Blvd. Except for the TV, all the stuff together in this photo was about $5K. Bought both 8x10 rugs online just by comparing the same brand on diff on-line rug sellers (wool rugs) for about $300 each.
Gorgeous space and great taste! Thanks for posting!

Old 07-10-2016, 11:34 AM

3,167 posts, read 3,994,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansgirl View Post
I'm moving from a 1700 sq ft house to a 2700 sq ft one. Because I wasn't sure when I'd find my next house after closing on my old one, I sold many furniture items. Now I need those items plus more to fully furnish the space. Is $10k enough money? Will I have enough for decor? Here is a quick rundown of what I'd need:

Living Room
-Large sofa
-Coffee table
-Large rug, maybe 9x12 (floor is tiled)
-Side table
-Media console

Dining Area
-Dining table and chairs (large enough to fit 4-6 people)
-Buffet
-Rug (again, tiled floor)

Master Bedroom
-Bedroom set (bed frame, dresser, side tables, etc)

Daughter's Room
-Full size bed and mattress
-Dresser

Patio
-Table and chairs
You can do it. I would suggest investing in the sofa, because that's a piece that needs to last and be very functional. Cheap out on the rug, the table, and the console (ikea is perfect for that), and skip the side table. Use a cheap tray table or something instead, until you can afford better. Get a good dining table, but skip the buffet (or get a used set on craigslist). Skip the beds - get metal frames for now and invest in the mattresses instead. Do the rest at ikea or similar, and skip the patio set for now. Just get a few cheap chairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating