Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 07:22 PM

21 posts, read 17,906 times

Advertisements

I haven't sort them, I just throw everything like snowmobiles, skis, and holiday decorations in the garage. You're right, I have to classify them. How do you sort them, do you buy some storage racks and shelves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 06:08 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Wow. It's called basic organization skills. I'd hope you do the same INSIDE your house, where you keep pots and pans near each other and in the kitchen (not under the bathroom sink or scattered through the house).

Like with like. We keep ALL of our decorations together, but we don't have a whole lot. If you have enough to fill up storage containers for each holiday, then use a dedicated storage container (plastic bins/totes) for each. Label them. Keep them organized so when you want to decorate you only have to go to one place, grab one or two boxes and be on your way.

Skiing gear all goes together. Skis and poles hang on a wall, shelf near them for boots/boot bags/goggles/all the other clothing junk that goes with skiing:

Snowmachines are a Little more complicated, but designing off-season storage for them will make it a lot nicer to use the space as well. Again, keep your gear with them, helmets, riding suits and 'stuff' in a storage container with the machines. Plenty of options, but here's one:

If you have vermin problems and would rather keep the fabric items inside, then do so. But, again, dedicate a space and keep it all neatly organized so when the season rolls around again you're not hunting for a lost boot, or cursing because goggles were accidentally crushed.

Any item you have to store, you can just type into a search engine "**item** storage ideas" and get dozens of ideas. There is no one "right" way, though there are usually better and worse ways, which I'd think should be plenty evident to anyone who gave even a brief moment to think about it. This isn't rocket science, it's just keeping "stuff" out of the way in a neat fashion.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
If you are truly stumped by this, why not hire a declutterer pro to give you guidance about what you can do? It might be worth it to find out how to store the things that you are finding it hard to store in an organized fashion.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2016, 07:06 PM

21 posts, read 17,906 times
The ceiling garage rack is a great idea, not taking space.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:29 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I luckily have a nice dry attic. I keep seasonal decorations in marked Rubbermaid bins. The only thing I can't store up there is candles...too hot.
We do not have winter here, so there are no issues with snowblowers or skis, etc.

I actually have WAY too many coats stored. I cannot seem to make myself give them away. As soon as I do, I'll plan a trip up north in the winter, and need to go buy another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating