Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 04:48 PM

50,230 posts, read 63,734,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The truth be told if you have a major leak, the water will most likely infiltrate the board beneath (no matter what you have) and it will have to be taken up.
This happened to me. The ice maker leaked, and the floor was damaged. Insurance covered it, though, and it was just a fluke. Chances are, it will never happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 05:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,077,425 times
Water can mess up lots of materials. We had a big leak in our washer, and our Pergo floor was ruined. Insurance covered the loss, and we got a different Pergo pattern for the room.

I suppose water would not ruin tile or vinyl. Maybe vinyl, if the leak was bad enough? An awful lot of people do put wood in their kitchens, though.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:31 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,976,334 times
We have had wood kitchen floors in 3 houses for 35 years and will have it in the new home we are building.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:55 PM

30,587 posts, read 18,117,213 times
Another vote for wood.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:22 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,448,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I have wood in the kitchen and while it looks nice it is a PITA! Scuffs, scratches, have to worry about moisture...There's no way I'd ever install wood flooring in a bathroom.

You can get wood tile with narrow grout lines if you must have that look. Personally I like the look of the newer, modern long plank tiles than wood flooring and in many homes (at least here in TX) tile is king in the kitchen.
We redid all the flooring in our house a couple of years ago. Put high grade commercial luxury vinyl tile in the kitchen and laundry room. This (in Flux - Black):

Mannington Commercial

Love the stuff. It's almost zero maintenance and easy on your feet. Note that our house is very modern with a somewhat industrial "vibe". Our kitchen looks like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105055...7605107797037/

A floor covering like this might not work in a more traditional house. OTOH - there are patterns that look like wood (have never seen them in person - so I don't know what they look like).

Mannington Commercial

FWIW - products like this are often more expensive than wood.

BTW - the kitchen floor we replaced was Marmoleum:

Marmoleum Click panels and squares

Which I never liked (scratched easily and was hard to maintain).

Note that I agree about not using hard tiles with grout in a kitchen. They're too hard on your feet and the grout stains too easily. They are good for bathrooms though.

I think one issue you have to ask yourself when it comes to floor coverings is what your lifestyle is and what - if anything - you're willing to do in terms of maintenance to keep them looking good. When it comes to our kitchen - we are enthusiastic if somewhat sloppy cooks. And - when it comes to maintenance - the answer is almost nothing. I think if I were the OP - I'd ask my wife if she's willing to do what it takes to maintain a hardwood floor:

Wood Floor Maintenance, Cleaning Hardwood Floors | NWFA

Robyn

P.S. When I was looking at floor coverings - I "test drove" them. Took a shoe and scraped the material to see if it would scuff. Put things that stain (like tomato sauce) on them - let them set - and then tried to clean the stain - etc.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:16 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,246,096 times
We have wood and we love it. Looks great and will never go out of style. Obviously, water spill are not your friend, so you must quickly wipe those up.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:12 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,448,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
We have wood and we love it. Looks great and will never go out of style. Obviously, water spill are not your friend, so you must quickly wipe those up.
How quickly?

I honestly can't imagine cooking up a storm and having to spend time wiping up this/that/the other thing every time I spill a little something on the floor. I am not sure why people follow "fashions" - as opposed to living in the best easy/low maintenance ways (especially if they have children/pets - which I don't). Robyn

Old 07-26-2016, 04:58 AM

163 posts, read 143,795 times
We've owned 4 homes with tile in 3 homes. Loved how durable they where. However, our current home has wood everywhere on the main level including our kitchen. I love it so much better then tile. Our home was build in the 80's and it's beautiful still!

Old 07-26-2016, 08:02 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,246,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
How quickly?

I honestly can't imagine cooking up a storm and having to spend time wiping up this/that/the other thing every time I spill a little something on the floor. I am not sure why people follow "fashions" - as opposed to living in the best easy/low maintenance ways (especially if they have children/pets - which I don't). Robyn
Well, you don't want a puddle of water to sit there for hours. It isn't a big deal for me. For instance, sometimes when I unload the dishwasher, a few drops of water fly off from something I take out. I just grab a towel and wipe it up.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:38 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,150,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
How quickly?

Wood floors have been used in kitchens for centuries, they aren't some trend or fashion that people are following.

As for wiping them off, it's not very different than any other floor. If you spilled a full glass of water or some other larger quantity of liquid, you need to stop what you are doing and wipe it off. If it's messy or sticky spill, you'd wipe that up fairly quickly too, I assume, before it turns into an icky mess. If it's a few drops of water or something, it's fine.

I guess at some point, a splash of water would be big enough that you'd need to wipe it up on a wood floor where you theoretically could let it sit on a tile floor and dry on its own. But if I'm working in a kitchen, I'm going to wipe up a spill that big anyway, so that I don't end up slipping on it, which can happen on most kinds of flooring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating