Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 10:56 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times

Advertisements

Mismatched chairs around a dining room table, especially the popular comfy overstuffed host/hostess chair idea. Why in the world would you give yourself a more comfortable chair than your guests?

Not too crazy about silk flower arrangements, especially if you cant keep them dust free or if they are out of season like a basket of daffodils in July.

Tuscan anything from kitchens to paint colors unless they are in a real Tuscan farm house.

Words as décor unless its a book.

Gray, especially all gray. Depressing and hard to match except with other muted depressing colors.

All neutral or earthtone décor. And really all any kind of décor. Ditto décor that looks like you got it all from Pottery Barn or any other furniture show room.

Fake stuff in general, but especially fake wood whether furniture or floors.

Tile that looks like wood......especially yuck.

Three story houses on zero lot line properties.

Furniture/décor that's not useable. Like white carpet that cant be walked on, upholstery you cant sit on or is covered to protect, tables you can only eat on once a year etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 11:07 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
So does my formica.
You're lucky then. I've been in my house for less than 2 years and my formica already has some scratches/cuts (thanks to my son not using a cutting board) as well as some warping where water seeped in between the sink and the counter. And in my bathroom, the formica is cracked from a nail pop from the cabinet below.

This was new construction and I got formica knowing that I planned to replace it in the first few years, because the builder didn't have what I wanted in granite or quartz. I didn't realize it would develop damage quite as quickly as it has though.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:51 AM

154 posts, read 259,925 times
Wow, this might not be the best thread for this new home owner trying to decide how to decorate her house! :-)

I like granite and do not see it as a fad. Also enjoy stainless steel appliances and recently felt completely in love with a matte stainless steel backsplash in a ... subway tile pattern!

I am putting my TV over the fireplace as someone else stated no other choice but also it is not a bad place, I can see it from the kitchen!

Mismatched chairs on the dinning table, I am also doing this. Yes, might would be the comfy upholstered one. why? well I have children, they will get the normal ones.

Barn doors, another one. I HAVE to do this as the door from the kitchen to the mud room opens right on top of the fridge. So I am making it a barn door to solve that problem, a pocket door will take much more work and this is an easy fix for me.

I have leather couches with the reclining option and cup holder, but these I am definitely moving to the basement for entertainment area. They don't look right in my family room.

I like gray, but not the whole house.

... basically, personal preference and trends can certainly meet at times! Also, it takes a few tries for someone to figure out what they really like.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:49 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
oh, I forgot, sign me up for the words on the wall, really hate that trend

peace
joy
faith
eat
happiness
believe
home is for love
chat
etc

Ihave a family member that has some of these worded thing on top of the cabinets and her house is nothing but "peace", "love", "warmth",.

(She should really should have "yelling", "fighting" & "choas" )

Old 07-12-2016, 02:05 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Country decor in non-country homes.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:07 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
oh, I forgot, sign me up for the words on the wall, really hate that trend

peace
joy
faith
eat
happiness
believe
home is for love
chat
etc

Ihave a family member that has some of these worded thing on top of the cabinets and her house is nothing but "peace", "love", "warmth",.

(She should really should have "yelling", "fighting" & "choas" )
Lol. Maybe you should have yelling, fighting, and chaos worded decor custom made for her and place them secretly.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:17 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I'd prefer pocket doors to barn doors, but I suspect the rationale behind some of the barn doors is that there is plumbing, wiring or hvac in the way of putting in a pocket door in the wall. It's not a bad solution in tight spaces where a regular door might take too much space or open in an inconvenient way.

Not particularly a fan of subway tiles, but there are some kitchen designs in which they look perfect.
This brings me to something that I bet most of us can agree on. I think we reject things that are not authentic. Someone who doesn't like shabby chic might like a 100 year old table with its history written in the marks on its top. I hate mid mod, but I can appreciate the sculptural quality of some pieces of furniture.
Bottom line, I think there is beauty in every style if it's done right.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:36 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Popcorn ceilings
Vinyl "tile"
Laminate "wood" floors
Fake divided light windows with those pop in grids
Mini Blinds and their even uglier cousin..... Vertical blinds

Old 07-12-2016, 07:15 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Chalk paint is the devil's work.

I've had enough of people ripping down walls in older homes to turn the entire living space into an eat-in kitchen. I don't like islands in the kitchen, either - give me a kitchen table to work at instead. No more breakfast bars, either. That's what the kitchen table is for.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:32 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Popcorn ceilings
Vinyl "tile"
Laminate "wood" floors
Fake divided light windows with those pop in grids
Mini Blinds and their even uglier cousin..... Vertical blinds

Popcorn ceilings with glitter!!

Was a huge trend in the suburbs of Philly in the mid to late 80's........yuck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating