Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 02:30 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,338,511 times

Advertisements

I like open floor plans in certain capacities.

I have never lived in anywhere that is more than 725 square feet, including the house I grew up in/lived in for a little over twenty years.

The coop I live in now is probably somewhere between 600-650 square feet. Because the LR/DR area and office area (depending on what you decide to make it, of course) has sort of an open feeling, it doesn't feel as enclosed as it could. My kitchen is TINY and closed off and I hate being in there---actually, my husband hates being in there with me so he waits for me to leave before he does anything because it's so tight.

Anyway, between the tight space, the closed off areas and the lack of windows, I wish it was more open. I do not get direct sunlight because of my placement in the building and I have no windows in the office area/kitchen, so everything feels on the darker-side to me. It adds to that closed/small/claustrophobic feeling.

Now, if you are talking a nice big house with lots of light and windows, you don't need to manipulate the house in order to make it feel "open."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 05:21 AM

8,021 posts, read 10,607,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
Barn doors...all that big ugly exposed hardware just turns me off. I cringe every time Joanna Gaines puts one in, and the homeowners go gah-gah over it.
I agree, kind of like metal roofing. Unless you have a farm house or actual converted barn, it doesn't really belong. Although I like some of the homes she's re-done, they are all so repetitive, decoratively speaking. Watch two or three shows and you've watched them all. Get loan from the bank for double or more the value of the home (?), take walls down, check; hardwood flooring throughout, check; Ship-lap wall siding, check; pale painted walls, check. There, a Gaines home.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:25 AM

8,021 posts, read 10,607,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have not seen turreted houses. If I had, I would have deplored them.

Here's something that I wish would go away: really big, squatty houses on tiny building lots.

And I am not fond of faux stone on houses.
That fake stone, I agree. So phony looking.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:47 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,326,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Love your house!!
Thank you! We fell in love with it and it had all the rooms we needed, plus an extra one. No more having guests sleep in the living room when the kids and grandkids visit.

Now if they would just pour the slab! Once that happens, it shouldn't be but a few months before we can move in. LOL.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:52 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,401,385 times
Quote:
Barn doors...all that big ugly exposed hardware just turns me off. I cringe every time Joanna Gaines puts one in, and the homeowners go gah-gah over it.
I just visited 4 pricey new model homes down the street and every one of them had a set of huge barn doors in more than one location. On both the main level and upstairs. Hubby and I were staring blankly at them because we couldn't understand the value of them in the locations we saw. They were just for design. I'm curious how many people actually put them in their homes.

And someone mentioned turrets. There are lots of turrets in homes around me. Most of them are around 10 years old so maybe that's a trend that's played out.

Robino, I like your home design. This looks very livable to me because the kitchen is in a back corner, not in the center of everything, like mine. I would like my kitchen to be like that.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:18 AM

50,233 posts, read 63,745,127 times
To circle back to the original post. I am bothered that everyone has to say "hardwood" floors, on TV.
In real life, doesn't everyone just say, "wood floors"?

Old 09-05-2016, 09:19 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,326,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I just visited 4 pricey new model homes down the street and every one of them had a set of huge barn doors in more than one location. On both the main level and upstairs. Hubby and I were staring blankly at them because we couldn't understand the value of them in the locations we saw. They were just for design. I'm curious how many people actually put them in their homes.

And someone mentioned turrets. There are lots of turrets in homes around me. Most of them are around 10 years old so maybe that's a trend that's played out.

Robino, I like your home design. This looks very livable to me because the kitchen is in a back corner, not in the center of everything, like mine. I would like my kitchen to be like that.
Thank you

In the rental we are in now, our kitchen is pretty central also. I do like that the new place has the kitchen tucked in out of the main space.

The ceiling in the kitchen is also lower than the main rooms (dining and living). They (the main rooms) aren't cathedral but they are 12' ceilings. That should help with any of that echo that tends to happen with kitchens being 'open' to the rest of the house.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:16 AM

5,843 posts, read 5,258,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
No, it really couldn't happen. Houses are inspected by the authorities at many phases throughout the building process and the build will be shut down if it doesn't pass, until the issue is rectified. No house is going to pass inspection and get a certificate of occupancy allowing for the builder to sell it without appropriate support beams in place.

I went through a new build with a tract builder and I lost track of how many city inspections there were, along with the inspector I hired myself, who did a foundation and framing inspection before the drywall went up, and then a final inspection before closing.

Maybe with new houses but there have been many DIY jobs that are not inspected.

Cat

Old 09-05-2016, 02:34 PM

41,932 posts, read 75,037,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
No, it really couldn't happen. Houses are inspected by the authorities at many phases throughout the building process and the build will be shut down if it doesn't pass, until the issue is rectified. No house is going to pass inspection and get a certificate of occupancy allowing for the builder to sell it without appropriate support beams in place.
LMAO.

I have a bridge to sell you. No idea if it's been inspected or not ...

Old 09-05-2016, 02:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
To circle back to the original post. I am bothered that everyone has to say "hardwood" floors, on TV.
In real life, doesn't everyone just say, "wood floors"?
I believe some very old floors are softwood. If the floors are oak, then to call them hardwood is accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating