Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2016, 08:35 PM

3,755 posts, read 5,839,697 times

Advertisements

Vessel Sinks ? It is fine if you have a maid following you around all day. I am not a fan of the "open floor plan either". I don't like the idea of having the kitchen with all its mess in plain view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 10:26 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,576,986 times
We use our jacuzzi tub almost daily...appears we're the exception to the rule huh?

Old 11-16-2016, 09:04 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,406,813 times
1. Microwave over the stove. Seems like an easy way to set yourself on fire if you want to use the microwave while cooking. Also much harder to clean up spills inside.

2. Vessel sinks. Too cluttery looking and in the way. Easy to bang into.

3. Glass doors on the bathtub. Too hard to clean the tub, the glass and the tracks. Much prefer a simple shower curtain.

4. Dual washer/dryer in one machine. You can only do one load at a time. I want to be able to wash and dry at the same time if doing several loads of laundry.

5. Very high cathedral ceilings. Great for spiders and other bugs and impossible to clean.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:44 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
5. Very high cathedral ceilings. Great for spiders and other bugs and impossible to clean.
And a real waste of energy when the heat is on.
I haven't seen them in awhile but catwalks are a real turn off for me.The downstairs open to the upstairs is not good for a busy family. Seems like a real lack of privacy and noisy too.

Also you rarely see firepits here in the South, or at least in NC. We have a real bug problem and most folks don't like to sit still at night outside. A screened in porch is essential IMHO.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:10 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,700,325 times
Interesting. Fire pits are a big thing here in northeast Texas. In fact, we just had one built and the guys building it said they are doing at least one a week and have been for a long time now. And that's just one subcontractor.

They are especially popular in back yards that have either an outdoor kitchen area or a swimming pool (or both).

Old 11-17-2016, 09:21 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,980,650 times
I'm surprised to hear that. Y'all have some big insects there too. We've had pools in the last 3 houses and never even thought of a fire pit. Maybe I just haven't been to any houses around here which have them. But we do have a beautiful fireplace on our screened in back porch. We've never used it. But the squirrels do!

Old 11-17-2016, 09:35 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,700,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm surprised to hear that. Y'all have some big insects there too. We've had pools in the last 3 houses and never even thought of a fire pit. Maybe I just haven't been to any houses around here which have them. But we do have a beautiful fireplace on our screened in back porch. We've never used it. But the squirrels do!
I don't know - they're popular around here. We've already used ours about 4 times and it was just completed in late September!

No bug issues.

We do treat our yard though. But apparently bugs aren't stopping anyone else because fire pits are common around here.

I think one reason is that our winters, though mild, do have chilly nights and cool or even cold days. But not ridiculously chilly nights or cold days, so it's reasonable to consider using the fire pit regularly from October through April. That's seven months of regular usage. Of course, that's only applicable if your family is a family of "porch sitters." Some people really use outdoor spaces and others don't. But bugs aren't generally a problem in the cool months anyway, and that's when a fire pit will get used.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:14 PM

9,842 posts, read 7,153,670 times
We are just north of Boston. We carve seats in the snow around the fire in the winter and enjoy a fire regularly in the winter,

Old 11-18-2016, 05:36 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,108,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
1. Microwave over the stove. Seems like an easy way to set yourself on fire if you want to use the microwave while cooking. Also much harder to clean up spills inside.

2. Vessel sinks. Too cluttery looking and in the way. Easy to bang into.

3. Glass doors on the bathtub. Too hard to clean the tub, the glass and the tracks. Much prefer a simple shower curtain.

4. Dual washer/dryer in one machine. You can only do one load at a time. I want to be able to wash and dry at the same time if doing several loads of laundry.

We've had a microwave over our stove for years and years and never set fire to anyone (and I'm short). Cleaning is easy enough too.

I am not a fan of vessel sinks either, just impractical all the way around.

I HATE glass shower/tub doors. Shower curtains are so much easier to keep clean and you can change up the look of the room for $20.

High ceilings in the south make sense because hot air rises, but I agree, anywhere you need to heat your house, waste of money and space.

Firepits--popular here too. I think almost everyone we know has one in some form (build in or store bought). I think only one neighbor doesn't have one and she is elderly.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:10 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,335,155 times
I live in Denver and love, love, LOVE having cathedral ceilings with huge windows. The natural light is incredible, along with the mountain views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating