Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 12:42 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,018,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I would have done the same.

It's only in super small kitchens where you have no choice in the matter. On the other hand, I've rented a couple of houses with small kitchens, that somehow still had adequate counter space.

The current rental is like that. The corners of the counter tops are so deep, they could hold a microwave without compromising work space. There are two large expanses of counter space to work on. But no . . . the microwave is over the damn stove.

I think some houses exist to teach us what we don't want.
I would rather the microwave be over the stove. I want my counters to be neat, clean and nothing to move to be able to wipe them down.

Different strokes for different folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 02:08 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,386,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

I would rather the microwave be over the stove. I want my counters to be neat, clean and nothing to move to be able to wipe them down.

Some people install a microwave over a wall oven.

I rented one house where they had a shallow pantry as part of the kitchen cabinets and the microwave was behind it's own little door.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:17 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

Mine is over my stove/oven combo and I'm totally fine with it.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Some people install a microwave over a wall oven.

I rented one house where they had a shallow pantry as part of the kitchen cabinets and the microwave was behind it's own little door.
When I had my kitchen remodeled in 1999 I had them build a special shelf for the micro, and that's where it ended up. It was close to, but not over the stove.

In my present kitchen, I have the micro built in over the oven. It works OK there. Instead of a range hood, I have a downdraft vent that raises and lowers. It is installed at the back of my cooktop. It works really well, IMO.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:56 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,332,386 times
Shiplap
Big Clocks
Quotes all over walls
Shaker kitchen cabinets that look cheap...just like open floor(which I do like) plans are cheaper for builders shaker cabinets are cheaper to make.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:12 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,477,898 times
Ylisa7: ^^^^ Totally agree with your list above. I used to be glued to the Chip and Joanna Gaines' shows, but not anymore. It seems she does every house pretty much the same on the interior. It's boring as heck. Even their book "Magnolia" shows all the same 'ideas'. Traditional comfy living design and furniture will be back; everything goes full circle. (I don't get HGTV magazine anymore either .... borrring; and all that super glossy wild color paint gives me a headache.)

Old 01-13-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Ylisa7: ^^^^ Totally agree with your list above. I used to be glued to the Chip and Joanna Gaines' shows, but not anymore. It seems she does every house pretty much the same on the interior. It's boring as heck. Even their book "Magnolia" shows all the same 'ideas'. Traditional comfy living design and furniture will be back; everything goes full circle. (I don't get HGTV magazine anymore either .... borrring; and all that super glossy wild color paint gives me a headache.)

I get falling into the designing trap. My DH and I have flipped houses in the past and when I look back we are pretty boring, lol. I'm not saying I don't like them it's just that they are the same old thing for us, lol.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:22 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,477,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I get falling into the designing trap. My DH and I have flipped houses in the past and when I look back we are pretty boring, lol. I'm not saying I don't like them it's just that they are the same old thing for us, lol.

There is always a new trend right around the corner. Yes, flippers have to do what sells; I've seen some real disasters over the years and make sure my own homes are finished and decorated to be soothing, 'just in case' I sell. and it works.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
There is always a new trend right around the corner. Yes, flippers have to do what sells; I've seen some real disasters over the years and make sure my own homes are finished and decorated to be soothing, 'just in case' I sell. and it works.
That's smart.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:09 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,122,698 times
Quote:
what does the bolded mean?

I think Joanna Gaines does nice work, although it's not completely my style, it's a bit more rustic and farmhouse than my preference. But it generally looks comfortable and livable to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating