Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2018, 09:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

I don't have quotes in my house, except for a small sign I bought for our bedroom, and that DH appreciates.

But I don't mind if other people have quotes. It doesn't bug me.

But hasn't this fad peaked?

We saw a lot of quotes in homes in 2012 when we were looking for a house to buy.

And there is a clever sign I'd like to post outside which is basically there to say "no soliciting."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 05:58 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don't have quotes in my house, except for a small sign I bought for our bedroom, and that DH appreciates.

But I don't mind if other people have quotes. It doesn't bug me.

But hasn't this fad peaked?

We saw a lot of quotes in homes in 2012 when we were looking for a house to buy.

And there is a clever sign I'd like to post outside which is basically there to say "no soliciting."

I like some signs but it can become over kill in some cases. We had one house on the water that had a beautiful screened in lanai with a bar. I always thought would have been a fun place to hang signs. Not really quotes but beach themed and island themed signs. "It's 5 o'clock somewhere" kind of stuff.

We always have no trespassing signs, lol.

As for quotes....I love reading them

Last edited by ylisa7; 01-21-2018 at 06:42 AM..

Old 01-21-2018, 06:17 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
unless it's intentionial overkill.

Someone posted a big advertising sign they'd put in their dining room. Took up the whole wall.

I liked it.

another thing I hope to not see again: dirty collections. Have a friend who has a toy room..Not a kid-used toy room; her kids are out of the house. This is a room with all kinds of toys she's collected: some antique, some were hers or her kids, some gifts, some just spoke to her for some reason. All well and good but once a toy gets in the toy room, it never gets dusted or washed. I doubt it ever even gets picked up again. There's a bed in there and she'll vacuum the floor just around the bed.

Nothing against collections. I've got a few hippos some would call a collection. They'd be right. But if you have a collection of something, keep it clean.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:34 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
I was going to start a new thread, then I saw this one. I tossed a coin and it came down heads, so I'm bumping this one rather than start a new one.

I am so glad someone besides me doesn't like subway tile. I've been watching some renovation and House Hunter shows lately and I am so sick of subway tile I could barf. That and stainless steel everything.

Now it seems the trend is for ogee backsplashes and different color cabinets on the bottom and top. Tonight I saw a kitchen that had white cabinets on the bottom and black ones on top. Yew!

And I'm sick to death of people who buy a nice "older" home because they like the features. And then promptly ruin all those wonderful original features by tearing down walls, replacing trim, and painting everything white. By the time they're done, all they have is another generic cookie cutter home. Just why?

Something else that drives me nuts are people who constantly call a house what it's not. If you don't know the difference between Colonial, Saltbox, Italianate, Farmhouse, Cape Cod, etc, then don't make yourself look stupid on TV by calling some ugly ranch house in the suburbs "Victorian". Trust me, it's not. Let me clarify that: if it has a big, ugly garage door facing the street, the house is not anything but a common tract house. If it has big, ugly garage doors facing the street with 3000+ square feet and a two story entry, it's a McMansion. Taking a tract house and throwing some trim on it does not make it a Victorian. Putting some brick or stucco on a McMansion does not make it a Tuscan or Mediterranean house. Putting two tiny columns on a house does not make it a Southern Mansion.

There, I feel lots better now.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:13 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
How about taking a two-story center-entrance Colonial and putting two columns on the front stoop? Then it becomes Greek revival!

Old 02-23-2018, 07:35 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
The trend I'd like to see go away is the naked window trend. Bring back drapes!

Until they fell out of fashion, they were such stunning features in a room. They added so much color, drama, temperature control and (most importantly) privacy to a room. Not to mention your house is less likely to be burglarized if people can't look in through your windows. But now drapes are out of fashion, and naked windows are the rage. Please--let this trend pass! Bring back drapes!

Or, if drapes are triggering a fear of imminent death from germs (which is silly in my opinion, but that's a whole different topic) bring back blinds!

I get that uncovered windows allow maximum sunlight into a room. And I'm not talking about large picture windows overlooking a pastoral view. If you have a view, by all means you should enjoy it. But windows that look at another house need a covering that can be closed from time to time.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:32 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I don't know anyone with naked windows, people have blinds and shades. I generally prefer that to drapes and curtains which feel somewhat old fashioned and fussy to me. My styles is transitional - mostly mid century through modern. If you have more traditional styling, then drapery is a better fit.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:28 AM

12,842 posts, read 868,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post

Until they fell out of fashion, they were such stunning features in a room. They added so much color, drama, temperature control and (most importantly) privacy to a room. Not to mention your house is less likely to be burglarized if people can't look in through your windows. But now drapes are out of fashion, and naked windows are the rage. Please--let this trend pass! Bring back drapes!

Or, if drapes are triggering a fear of imminent death from germs (which is silly in my opinion, but that's a whole different topic) bring back blinds!

I get that uncovered windows allow maximum sunlight into a room. And I'm not talking about large picture windows overlooking a pastoral view. If you have a view, by all means you should enjoy it. But windows that look at another house need a covering that can be closed from time to time.
I so much agree with you! I LOVE drapes! I have drapes in my living room, dining room and all the bedrooms. They are lovely and practical for the reasons you listed.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:24 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I'm in a newer neighborhood with large windows and views, and a lot of the houses here do have draperies. Depending on how they're installed, they don't have to interfere with the view or make it darker, but they can add color and interest to a room, help to muffle noise and keep a room warm, like this week! I only have a couple of rooms with draperies in this house but my next home will have more.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I admit to not feeling the need for drapes. We put nice shades or blinds in most our windows, and I love the drapeless look. I would like to add them in our bedroom, for looks. But I don’t
feel the need of them in general.

And I hate valances. Even when valances were in style, I hated them.

If you live in a densely populated area you need some sort of window covering. When I lived on three acres, I left my kichen window bare because it faced dense woods. And in the great room, I had simple curtains.

I guess I sort of got over draperies in the 1990s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating