Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 10:41 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

Don't even get me started on the 20- and 30-somethings that walk into a perfectly useful kitchen and complain they can't cook in it until it's been totally renovated. I never knew cooking on a white stove as opposed to cooking on an updated stainless steel one was soooooo difficult.
I totally agree.

My queue to turn the channel to ANYTHING other than HGTV is when the 20-year old couple (who are all, for some reason, WAY richer than I am) on House Hunters or Property Brothers, etc, are looking at houses to buy - and walk into a kitchen that's a lot nicer than mine, and immediately say "Well this kitchen will need to be completely gutted".

It make me wonder if these people are really that snotty and entitled, or if the TV producers try to encourage them to be that way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 10:58 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Mid-century living rooms had curtains.
Right, a lot of them had sheers. Those were white translucent ruffled tie backs. They let the light in but it was hard to really see through them. I still have some in a box somewhere, came out of my aunt's house.

They also had floor length pinch pleat drapes, usually in a solid or some kind of abstract. I didn't think the patterns were very attractive.

A furniture style I never want to lay eyes on again is "French Provincial." That curvy fake French style that some people had in their formal rooms. It also seemed to be highly favored for little girls' bedrooms, poor girls. The girl's bedroom would have white "French Provincial" with pink ruffled fabric. Four poster beds with pick gingham checks too.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:53 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I'm with you, Rodentraiser. Those entitled 20 and 30-somethings are enough to make you want to move into a log cabin - the old kind.

For every looker who said, "Of course, the kitchen would have to be completely redone," when I thought it was perfectly usable, there was one who said, "This is entirely too small." I know they have to get a story on those house hunter programs, but that sort of thing made me quit watching it because I usually wanted to throw a brick through the TV while watching them.

I do credit that show with making people understand they can't be showing their house for sale with all their kid's underwear left all over the floor. Even if they do go a little too far.
Lol...I was feeling a little cringy while reading these posts about ripping apart the functional kitchen in a new house till I remembered I DID live in a tiny cabin in th northern Idaho mountains with an equally tiny kitchen, most of that time offgrid for nearly 15 years. The inside propane fridge was one of those teeny apartment sized ones, because that’s as big as propane fridges come, though we did have a big fridge in a shed across the yard. No dishwasher, no counter space, and for much of that time a vintage 1940’s apartment sized gas stove converted to propane.

So when we decided to move our full time address into the city, my husband decided I was going to have a fabulous kitchen. We bought a northwest contemporary with a 1987 kitchen and that thing was ripped out the day we closed.

No regrets. I love my kitchen now. Especially the monster Thermidor refrigerator/freezer towers. And the dishwasher. The whole damned thing.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:55 PM

388 posts, read 473,773 times
I hate vertical venetian blinds - the wide-blade ones apartment complex owners install to cover sliding glass doors. They are even uglier than horizontal venetian blinds, which no one dusts properly.

And would someone please ban plaid upholstery fabric?

I agree with others about plaques / whatever with words like "Joy" or "Live, Life, Love" - that soft of barfy stuff.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:34 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,742,664 times
Quote:
I agree with others about plaques / whatever with words like "Joy" or "Live, Life, Love" - that soft of barfy stuff.
Previously in the thread, someone said they believed that this fad had peaked. One trip to Hobby Lobby or Home Goods and they would change their minds. I see entire aisles of wordy treacle. Granted, Home Goods is an outlet store, so perhaps there is hope that mainstream décor retailers are finally phasing this stuff out somewhat. I always assumed all the lame quotes and motivational clichés were a cheaper option for producers of décor pieces (calligraphers probably work cheaper than painters), but the Hobby Lobby overload on such stuff is likely their nod (some would say their bending over) to Chip and Joanna Gaines. That's likely why Hobby Lobby also seems to be on a chicken-wire and cotton-boll binge in the past year.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:19 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
I hate vertical venetian blinds - the wide-blade ones apartment complex owners install to cover sliding glass doors. They are even uglier than horizontal venetian blinds, which no one dusts properly.

And would someone please ban plaid upholstery fabric?

I hate to break it to you, but we get a new plaid fabric in my shop at least once a week. We make custom upholstered furniture and it's expensive; a sofa is $3500 to $4000 plus the cost of the fabric, which averages around $2000 to $3000. Rich people (well, their designers) are still using plaid pretty regularly.

As for the word signs... yeah, I don't care for them either. Some of the phrases I like, but I can't bring myself to put that stuff in my house. I could maybe do it in a kid's room. Maybe.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:26 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,406,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post

Previously in the thread, someone said they believed that this fad had peaked.

One trip to Hobby Lobby or Home Goods and they would change their minds. I see entire aisles of wordy treacle. Granted, Home Goods is an outlet store, so perhaps there is hope that mainstream décor retailers are finally phasing this stuff out somewhat.
"Wordy Treacle" Can I steal that term?

I have a family member who is better than most at decorating, but they still fall for wordy treacle.

They have a pillow that says "HOME" on the sofa and a planter that says "HOME" on the fireplace mantel right next to the sofa. I guess they really wanted to drive the point home.

I won't even go into all the "FAMILY" signs in the house. But they are happy, so there's that.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
I bought a small lumbar pillow before Thanksgiving, that says Grateful I and like seeing it. It is a reminder for me to be grateful. It seems pretty inoffensive to me.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:03 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Lol...I was feeling a little cringy while reading these posts about ripping apart the functional kitchen in a new house till I remembered I DID live in a tiny cabin in th northern Idaho mountains with an equally tiny kitchen, most of that time offgrid for nearly 15 years. The inside propane fridge was one of those teeny apartment sized ones, because that’s as big as propane fridges come, though we did have a big fridge in a shed across the yard. No dishwasher, no counter space, and for much of that time a vintage 1940’s apartment sized gas stove converted to propane.

So when we decided to move our full time address into the city, my husband decided I was going to have a fabulous kitchen. We bought a northwest contemporary with a 1987 kitchen and that thing was ripped out the day we closed.

No regrets. I love my kitchen now. Especially the monster Thermidor refrigerator/freezer towers. And the dishwasher. The whole damned thing.
We all have different tastes. And yes, if I moved into a kitchen with stainless steel appliances and granite counters, if I had the money, I'd rip it all out and replace it with some vintage appliances and tile counters as soon as I could.

I think the thing is, though, I wouldn't declare to a viewing nation that I absolutely couldn't cook in a kitchen that wasn't decorated exactly the way I wanted it to be and you wouldn't either.

Actually, I'm so eager to get a home of my own I'd cook in a cardboard box if it came with a roof and its own lawn. LOL

Old 02-27-2018, 07:07 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,752 times
I have a few 'word' signs in the bar area. A couple of them to hide the bracket needed to hold up the shot glass cabinets. They actually work in that area.

I do have one sign that is perfect in my kitchen. It resides over the pantry door.

It says:

but first...COFFEE (The 'O' is the silhouette of a coffee cup)

A housewarming gift from my stepdaughter. She knows me so well. <3

Other than those, not any elsewhere in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating