Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 07:56 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,561,674 times

Advertisements

I guess I could DIY all the way and make rolling platform beds out of pallets and use fiber fill, foam, and bales of straw to fill the mattresses. I have no idea if that would be comfortable, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 09:59 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,472,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I guess I could DIY all the way and make rolling platform beds out of pallets and use fiber fill, foam, and bales of straw to fill the mattresses. I have no idea if that would be comfortable, though.
Using pallets to make rolling platform beds sounds like a doable starter project to me. I'd pick out some indoor/outdoor furniture cushions (bench type cushions) and make the platforms to size to fit the cushions. If you do it the other way around, you're probably not going to find the perfect sized cushion. The cushions should be on sale now too, and you could pick the fabric that would look good in your living room.

BTW, I wouldn't use bales of straw or hay to fill anything that was going inside. I think you'd regret that big time.

It sounds like you just want to build something. I get it. Sometimes I just want to paint something .

Old 08-22-2016, 07:31 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,785,157 times
How often are you going to have someone sleep in your living room? Probably not nearly as often as you're going to sit on your couch. Get a couch that is comfortable to sit on (the daybeds my sisters and I had as kids were not comfortable to sit on or to sleep on, and the futons I owned as a young adult were not either). Buy an inflatable mattress and pump and stick it in the closet for times when you have an overnight guest. The taller inflatable mattresses are pretty decent and comfortable.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
How often are you going to have someone sleep in your living room? Probably not nearly as often as you're going to sit on your couch. Get a couch that is comfortable to sit on (the daybeds my sisters and I had as kids were not comfortable to sit on or to sleep on, and the futons I owned as a young adult were not either). Buy an inflatable mattress and pump and stick it in the closet for times when you have an overnight guest. The taller inflatable mattresses are pretty decent and comfortable.
Pretty often, since my living room is mostly my apartment (this is a studio apartment).

Yes, but a homemade one stuffed with soft foam and hay might be different.

Plus, this is honestly more about wanting to do a project than wanting to save money. I'm interested in hands-on learning how things are made. Besides, inflatable mattresses feel like you are sleeping on the floor, at least the ones I've had. If I just wanted a place for guests to sleep, I'd have a roll-away cot or two, but I want my own statement piece of versatile homemade furniture. I want people to lie on the mattress and say, "wow, this is so comfortable; where did you buy this?"

Old 08-24-2016, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Pretty often, since my living room is mostly my apartment (this is a studio apartment).

Yes, but a homemade one stuffed with soft foam and hay might be different.

Plus, this is honestly more about wanting to do a project than wanting to save money. I'm interested in hands-on learning how things are made. Besides, inflatable mattresses feel like you are sleeping on the floor, at least the ones I've had. If I just wanted a place for guests to sleep, I'd have a roll-away cot or two, but I want my own statement piece of versatile homemade furniture. I want people to lie on the mattress and say, "wow, this is so comfortable; where did you buy this?"
Hay? Is that a typo? Most hay isn't soft and it's dusty and breaks down over time. I guess people used to use hay to stuff mattresses back in the pioneer days but that would have been a matter of necessity and they would have had to change it out every so often.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Hay? Is that a typo? Most hay isn't soft and it's dusty and breaks down over time. I guess people used to use hay to stuff mattresses back in the pioneer days but that would have been a matter of necessity and they would have had to change it out every so often.
Nope, it's not a typo, but I thought it was a nifty idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzk0HH-2wQw

Old 08-25-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Nope, it's not a typo, but I thought it was a nifty idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzk0HH-2wQw
Sleeping on straw would be like sleeping on a pile of sharp, poky twigs. And if you ever got it wet by accident, it would start to rot, complete with heat and odor.

Some kinds of hay are softer than straw...coastal hay is softer than straw, for example and it's cheap...a square bale sells for about $10 and weighs more than 50 lbs. But hay has seeds in it and rodents love to eat hay. I store a small amount of hay in my house in a plastic tub and a larger amount of hay in a plastic can in the garage, but I store them in airtight containers that rodents can't get to (other than the big, adorable rodents I keep as pets and who are supposed to eat the hay). I don't want mice in the garage, and I definitely wouldn't keep a big bag of hay in the living room for fear of mice getting into it.

There's also the issue of dust and allergies...lots of people are allergic to hay or straw and sleeping with your face a couple inches from it is probably not the best idea.

If there were no mattress stores and no credit cards and no Craigslist and the world's last mattress was gone, I might consider sleeping on a mattress stuffed with hay or straw.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:50 AM

18,339 posts, read 18,947,943 times
look at Pintrest for ideas on DIY sofas, day bed, chair 1/2. a great design doesn't always translate to comfort and ease of manufacture. some beautiful and easy designs out there to try.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/47639708536574355/

in a studio make sure entire space is cohesive, tying it together with color and the look of comfort, inviting.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:53 AM

22,359 posts, read 47,346,670 times
Quote:
but I want my own statement piece of versatile homemade furniture. I want people to lie on the mattress and say, "wow, this is so comfortable; where did you buy this?"
They will not say that of furniture made of pallets and hay...

Old 08-27-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
They will not say that of furniture made of pallets and hay...
Hey, it was just an idea. We do have that stuff in abundance around here, but I also have other options. One of the easiest, since most people want to go the chemical free route for allergies and other concerns, would be just to buy a good cheap plush mattress and a quality mattress cover...

...unless i want to go the used mattress route, and that's really not so bad here. The local second-hand shops do carry mattresses that are safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating