Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 11:57 AM

142 posts, read 166,911 times

Advertisements

Looking for suggestions for what to do with deep built-in shelves over a fireplace mantle. Pic is attached. The shelves are 2'4" deep. It must have originally been built for old larger TV and stereo system. There is a cable and electrical outlet in there. We've lived here a year now and I still don't know what to do with it. I'd really like to put doors over them and use it to store games, blankets, and odds and ends. It would have to be custom made because of the large size. I had a cabinet guy come out, and he gave me a quote for $600. Too much for me. Because it is so deep, books and decor look strange to me, but maybe something is better than nothing. Or maybe I need to get another door quote. This is located in a keeping area off my kitchen. Would love suggestions. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Deep Built-In Shelves-img_5497.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 12:08 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,565,631 times
Can you remove them? Or cut off part and drywall over it? Or hang a painting in front of it?

I'd do one of those personally. But you could also do some pretty vases and books and clocks and just position them towards the front of the shelves. or two rows of book. A nice globe could look nice too and would take up a lot of space.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:15 PM

22,292 posts, read 47,230,980 times
I would drywall over it, personally. Ans that would cost more than $600.

OP, $600 is not a bad price to make the space functional for you. A separate piece of furniture to do what you want that space to do would more than likely cost more.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:12 PM

142 posts, read 166,911 times
Thanks for the suggestions. Drywalling the area is something I hadn't thought of before. The shelves are not moveable. Attached is a pic of the type of doors I was hoping to do. My space is much higher than this pic though. I thought $600 was steep for one set of bi-fold doors. But maybe another quote would be worthwhile. Or can I take my measurements to home depot and order custom doors like this? Anyone know?
Attached Thumbnails
Deep Built-In Shelves-fullsizerender.jpg  

Old 09-26-2016, 01:34 PM

17,676 posts, read 29,589,839 times
Nuke it.

Or, given that this sub-forum is Home Interior Design and Decorating, you could get an old CRT TV and put it in there.
Zero$

Old 09-26-2016, 01:48 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,565,631 times
If you have basic tools you could probably even make the doors yourself.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:17 PM

17,421 posts, read 65,612,338 times
I really wouldn't consider that "usable" storage space due to its locale.

First thought, is just rip it out, drywall over the hole- done! Hang pic/mirror and you've transformed a wart into something appreciated.

But, if you really think you would use the space I can see spending some money for a face frame and hinged doors. Like some raised panel MDF doors- these can be made to size.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,745,148 times
Personally I'd hang a large mirror over it and enjoy having some secret storage. My kids would think it was fun.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:09 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,741,271 times
Or I'd store stuff I didn't use very often in large baskets, decorative boxes in the back, and in front I'd display pictures or stack books.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,955,649 times
I'd hate it for storage. It would always look sloppy. I don't like the door idea, because over the fireplace is a great place to make a focal point for art.

I think I'd have it drywalled over, honestly. You might be able to find someone to do this for less than $600, but I think I'd pay to have it done whatever the price. Then I'd hang a great piece of art.

If you really don't want to do that route, then you have to regard the spaces above your fireplace mantel as an opportunity. Put a picture in the TV space. Place it on an easel, and pull it to the front. Then add things to the shelves that add interest and that are beautiful to your eyes. If you have old family pieces, that would be a place to display them. Don't clutter up each shelf. I think you'd want to put fewer things in each space to showcase them.

You could also paint the interior of the spaces in a deeper color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating