Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 11:33 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Vinyl Tile (the stuff you see in grocery stores, hospitals and other high traffic places) is *VERY* resistant to scratches, and when it is scratched a little wax covers it up and makes it vanish. Those things are the same color throughout so a scratch doesn't reveal a different color.

Someone who's installed the planks, what's the edge like when you make a cut?

And if you want to talk about costs, these tiles are in the $0.60 per sq/ft range with LOTS of colors.
I think you are talking about linoleum, not vinyl. Linoleum is a superior material, which has fallen out of favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 11:34 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I've had the stuff down in the bedroom for a couple years and not quite a year in the kitchen. No scuffs or scratches and they are quite durable in those rooms with dogs and people and dragging chairs across them. Water doesn't affect them, dogs and cats having accidents on them hasn't affected them. They overlap each other for a tight seal. And the pattern is surprisingly random, especially if you're halfway conscientious about how you lay them down.

The stuff I used was $2.49/square foot.
Where did you get those planks? Do you remember the name brand?

Old 09-28-2016, 04:40 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Where did you get those planks? Do you remember the name brand?
I had to special order them from the Home Depot from Allure (they usually just sell the cheap $1.69/Sq Ft planks from that manufacturer).

Old 09-28-2016, 06:40 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I think you are talking about linoleum, not vinyl. Linoleum is a superior material, which has fallen out of favor.
Nope, I'm talking about Vinyl Composite Tiles, VCT for short. They are Currently 12x12 tiles but used to be 9x9's back in the 50's (and can be found in 12x24 and 12x36 today).

I don't like Linoleum or it's older brother Marmoleum for in-home use, looks cheap, feels cheap, is cheap. Some high end public buildings (museums come to mind first) do use it to good effect, but it's not common to find in the wild.

And I know this is a topic on LVT, but vinyl is the MAIN composition of both and Should be fairly comparable across the product. That is, unless the LVT is just a vinyl "body" with the fake looking veneer surface.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:08 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
I have vinyl planks in my heavily-used family room (3 kids and a 90 lb dog) that also has patio sliders (lots of traffic going in and out). I also have them in 2 bedrooms and they are holding up very well. I'm planning to rip out some more old carpet and put in vinyl planks.

I don't have any scratches--even with the dog. It is so easy to care for. Vinyl is superior to laminate, in my experiences. For one thing, vinyl is waterproof and laminate is not. It's soft (softer than ceramic tile for sure, but obviously not as soft as carpet). We just use area rugs that are easily cleaned.

I used self-stick planks over the floating floor planks for several reasons. I have installed over concrete and wood subfloor. I have not had the clopping feeling described in another post. Like any other flooring, prepping is key.

I am at the point where they are my favorite flooring choice. So DIY-er friendly and so economical. It's easy to replace one plank, too.

I don't like carpet (especially if I'm buying house) because it is disgusting. I am not a fan of ceramic or any other grouted tiles b/c they are a pain to keep clean and I don't like the feel of them.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:54 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Well, I just got LVP installed in my entire downstairs and they look amazing! I have photos but don't know how to upload them in here. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:49 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Well, I just got LVP installed in my entire downstairs and they look amazing! I have photos but don't know how to upload them in here. Any assistance would be appreciated.
I know how if I am on my computer: I use Imgur. It is a free site I upload my pictures to.
After I've gotten the picture to Imgur, I just click on the image I want, from my photo gallery there, I copy the URL for message boards (will be listed in a box on the right side of the screen) and paste it right into the post.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:11 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
personally it doesn't matter if something is "fake". you buy the flooring that suits your needs and budget. if you have a high traffic area with kids and/or dogs, some flooring types make more sense than others. natural products warp and scratch. if something looks reasonably like the "real thing" AND stands up to the stresses that floors are often put through, I ask why not? I don't scrutinize the floors when I enter someone's house. I just note how nice everything looks, whether the flooring is "real" or "fake".

Old 10-11-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I know how if I am on my computer: I use Imgur. It is a free site I upload my pictures to.
After I've gotten the picture to Imgur, I just click on the image I want, from my photo gallery there, I copy the URL for message boards (will be listed in a box on the right side of the screen) and paste it right into the post.
Thank you!

Old 10-11-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
personally it doesn't matter if something is "fake". you buy the flooring that suits your needs and budget. if you have a high traffic area with kids and/or dogs, some flooring types make more sense than others. natural products warp and scratch. if something looks reasonably like the "real thing" AND stands up to the stresses that floors are often put through, I ask why not? I don't scrutinize the floors when I enter someone's house. I just note how nice everything looks, whether the flooring is "real" or "fake".
I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating