Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 08:09 AM

3,156 posts, read 3,341,044 times

Advertisements

Do you keep it "forever" or keep up with the trends of updating your furniture every few years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 08:19 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,321,844 times
I guess I change it out when it wears down. Or when we moved to a different state.

I don't buy with the latest trend in mind. I buy for comfort and what pleases me, in the options that are available at the time of purchase.

I tend to go with decor that Aren't trendy because I don't want to be stuck with something that will definitely be dated in a few short years. Example: I go with solid neutrals on sofas and chairs. I bring trendy colors in with pillows and curtains/sheers.

Painting also works to keep the house updated but costs much less than a quality piece of furniture.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:22 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,915,217 times
When my Great Danes ruin it. It's a wonderful life

Old 11-02-2016, 09:11 AM

22,421 posts, read 47,411,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Do you keep it "forever" or keep up with the trends of updating your furniture every few years?
I replace things when they no longer function as they are supposed to.

I know of no one who could afford to replace furniture every few years. Seriously. that would be thousands every few years!

They are like me... you know your preferences and you buy that, instead of chasing trends.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:22 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,474,397 times
I like to start with good quality furniture and re-upholster instead of replacing. I think it saves money in the long run.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:41 AM

41,888 posts, read 74,952,198 times
When it wears out. So far, for my upholstered furniture, 24 years and counting.

Most of my furniture I bought used anyway, except the sofa, chair and ottoman, and mattress.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:44 AM

5,840 posts, read 5,251,165 times
I buy with the intent of keep it forever but I have replaced a few items.

-My Laz-Y-Boy recliner needed to be reupholstered. It was cheaper to replace than to repair. So, the old recliner moved to the library and a new one was bought for the living room.

-Years ago, we had a fairly small dinning room table that didn't have leaves. I convinced my husband that we needed a new one. He has 4 kids-and at the time, they were all married and now we have grandkids. With all of them, there was no way everyone could sit around that small table. So, we bought an antique one with 7 leaves (and it only cost $100). Now EVERYONE can sit around it.

-When we lived in our old house, we had a small spare bedroom so we had a small bed. Since moving, our spare bedroom is bigger so we bought a bigger bed.

-We have a futon that we bought at a yard sale. But, the mattress sucked. So, we bought a new mattress for it. Now, I'm thinking of replacing the mattresses to the futons in the living room because they are getting worn out.

-I REALLY want to replace the chairs we have in our kitchen. Yeah, they are still good chairs but I really hate the history that goes with them (I bought them with my first husband). So, I am looking.

-I am also toying with the idea of replacing this computer desk. It is a Saunders (not the best quality) and I have had it for about 20 years or so-so maybe it is time to replace it. But, I just haven't decided yet.

So, you can see that there are only a few items that were replaced over the years. I still have my big console t.v. that I bought back in the '80s and I TRY to talk myself into replacing it but I just haven't be able to convince myself just yet.

Cat

Old 11-02-2016, 12:41 PM

10,077 posts, read 6,375,305 times
Hardly ever. My living room furniture is from the 1920s and is built like a tank. I had all 3 pieces reupholstered with commercial grade fabric when I got the set, so it will last for a really long time. My beds are from the 1870s (I like an earlier look in the bedrooms, with high-backed beds) and the dressers are from the same era, so they should last another 50 years or so. (Of course, I'll be dead by then, so I won't care about replacing it in the future.) Everything I have now fits precisely where it looks good and functions well, so I'm not inclined to change it out just for the sake of change.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:15 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,382,982 times
When there's a Need.

In nearly 2 decades we "needed" to buy most everything (moved across country straight out of college and didn't take our college stuff) once, then "needed" a dining room table for more than 2 (had a bistro set), then sold a few items to cut down on moving again and broke a couch.

Out with one item to be replaced by another? Never. We've bought and sold "accessory" pieces to fill specific spaces in some homes, you know like a church pew for a long wall near an entry, or a corner bookshelf for that odd barren looking corner in one house. But my wife is still sitting in the exact same Flexsteel chair she picked out nearly 20 years ago when we made the first purchases... using the same dining room table and chairs for nearly a decade, bedroom suit is the newest purchase (sold the last one for a move), a used set of 1930's Art Deco design.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:37 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,964,676 times
I think it depends. For me, I have periodically replaced furniture with one of higher quality. For instance, I just replaced my cheap IKEA couch last year with a much nicer one. The nicer one will last for many, many years to come. The IKEA couch was fine enough, but was of very cheap quality. I think the younger generation would change furniture more often due to the cheapness of their first piece of furniture. If they bought a 30 dollar couch off craigslist and then got a job in a different state, I highly doubt they are going to bring the cheap couch with them. They'll sell it and get their 30 bucks back and buy a different couch after they move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating