Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 10:17 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times

Advertisements

In a modern house I'd go with the shades pictured above. I love plantation shutters but you may lose some of the modern feel if you go that route. I'd also try to get them on a remote if you can swing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 02:56 AM

193 posts, read 169,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
We are having plantation shutters installed on the front facing windows. The company measured and are having them made to their measurements. Installation is free. Of course we all know that the installation is pretty much built into the price.

Horizontal blinds are going in the back facing windows, also measured and being installed by the same company.

I am doing curtains in the guest bedrooms. Maybe later down the road I will change out the horizontal blinds for plantation shutters but with the new build, to do all windows with the plantation shutters is just to expensive. We have other things that we need before doing the things we want.

Eventually, horizontal blinds will go in the guest bedrooms also. They will be at least 2" slats. The 3" are a good possibility though. They seem like they would be easier to clean. I think I ordered 3" for the back windows so I'll see how they are.

I'm not a fan of roman shades myself.

I was going to go with Plantations shutters in the front facing windows and faux wood blinds everywhere else.

Decided to just go with Faux wood blind everywhere. Maybe change the front facing windows to shutters in the near future but not really one the top of the list of things to do.

Curtains would have been cheaper and easier to clean. But I like the look of the faux wood blinds.

I was told the reason to go with a 3" slats is because they fit your hands and you can just reach in to open a window w/o having to mess with the shutters. Plus it looks good from a distance.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:06 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Plantation Shutters are quite expensive and if you are planning to sell your home in the next few years, you might not want to invest that much money in something that the next buyer might not even like.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:32 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,751 times
I'd absolutely go with Roman shades if you're looking for a more clean-lined, modern look.
They're fairly easy to install yourself too.

Plantation shutters are beautiful in a more traditional home. I'd put them in mine if I could afford it.

I've bought a few different styles of window treatments (wooden blinds, honeycomb shades, and Roman shades) at blinds.com over the years because they can do custom sizes at a reasonable price.

You might find that honeycomb blinds work for you as well. I got them for our previous house, and they were great. Very clean and simple. Great at filtering light, insulating, and provided some privacy at night.

(If anybody knows where to get custom RELAXED Roman shades at a decent price, please let me know. I found them, but they were $360-600+ per window. Way too expensive for my budget.)

Old 01-02-2017, 06:20 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,161 times
I'm more of a fan of blinds. They can be pulled up out of the way but even just opened they practically disappear in the window and give you a view of the outside. I do like the look of the plantation shutters, but I think they would make me feel too closed in and always in the way of the view.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:34 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I'm more of a fan of blinds. They can be pulled up out of the way but even just opened they practically disappear in the window and give you a view of the outside. I do like the look of the plantation shutters, but I think they would make me feel too closed in and always in the way of the view.
I loved/hated the shutters in my last home. They were easy to clean and looked lovely and matched my traditional style

We ordered real wood for most of the house and the vinyl for the bathrooms - honestly , could not tell the difference between the two.

But I wished I hadnt done them in the rooms where privacy wasn't a concern since during the day I like to have the window covering pulled - with the shutters you were kinda always looking thru bars since there wasn't enought room to swing the doors all the way open and not just open the slats...

Also - we had two white shutters on the windows above the nightstands in the master bedrooms. I found they allowed too much light in - esp when something set off the next door neighbors security light.

The worst thing about the bedroom shutters isn't likely a concern ... but we had a very clever Siamese cat who would come in early every morning and jump up and open the bedroom shutters with his paw to get us to wake up. I was very skeptical that a cat could be capable to such a deliberate action but early morning was the only time he ever open the shutters in or room.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:53 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Plantation shutters imo. They are timeless.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:08 AM

11 posts, read 12,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post

(If anybody knows where to get custom RELAXED Roman shades at a decent price, please let me know. I found them, but they were $360-600+ per window. Way too expensive for my budget.)
Gosh... you can get American-made, wood shutters for that price or less.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:25 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Our plantation shutters were just installed yesterday. I Love them! I can close the bottom half slats and leave the top half open if I want. They just look so classic!

Old 01-04-2017, 06:35 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
We got shutters on some windows, planning to do more if we really loved them. We do like them where we have them, but we decided against getting them in certain rooms, like the kitchen. They aren't meant to be left open, so if you want to be able to enjoy an unobstructed view, or let a cat sit in the window, I wouldn't get them. We're going to get 2.5 inch blinds in the other windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating