Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 05:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's just awful, along with the rest of the dreary color palette featured on that page.

Are people really so afraid of a little color?
It is a color! I think it could be stunning.

But then I do like my blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 07:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I had that color in both of my bedrooms at one time. Oddly enough, it looked "cold" in the front bedroom but "warm" in the back bedroom, even though they both face east and have one window apiece. I finally changed both of them to the current Jekyll Island Ivory that is in the rest of the house, except for my red kitchen. And this year the kitchen will be painted a pale aqua that will better accent the vintage red and white Wedgwood stove - can't wait!
Oooh, oooh, oooh, post pictures!!!!!

Old 01-02-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Sweet~ Weather was a major factor playing in are projects with the roof and window replacements. We live in snow country, so that took a month, plus permits issued .... The kitchen that took 3 months, we hired a gentlemen who owned his own business and been doing it for 40 years, so he a designer/ custom cabinet builder, his work all guaranteed for the life of him.. He build it all by hand, so that took time but it's was wroth it, we have a solid cherry wood cabinets. He was right with his time frame, told us 3 months. So we gutted the kitchen a weeks before and new wood floors installed and the kitchen window installed above where the new location of the sink was went. That took about a day, since we had all three kids still living at home and a few of the roofer help out with the real heavy stuff, like removal of old appliance that went to one guy that help remove em, so it was a win, win! Then the window installer came out and cut through the wall, before that could be done the cabinet guy came out and made sure they center it right according to his measurements. Then on the the two bathrooms lol.. It's all done now but it was a lot work.

Here are some old pics of the old kitchen after it was gutted. I wasn't there for that so the hubby forgot take pics before while still in-tacked, so here a few, with kid included lol...We did live the stove and sink the day before new kitchen came, so we could eat lol... It was not functional, not a lot cabinets! We bought this place due to it's views, we fill in love with the views all around it, sits on a Mt top, remote and in the middle of 50 acres, river below us... Oh the walls were red... That color really made me feel uptight not relax, so was happy to see it go by, by~~
Wow, big improvement - and I feel your pain. I hated having my kitchen torn up. We didn't move or add any windows, but we did change the footprint so it included jack hammering through the concrete slab foundation - OMG!!!

We were also able to keep some of our cabinets - they were solid oak and good quality but you know - that golden oak color that was all the rage in the 1990s. We just wanted to paint them and that was fine but since oak has a distinct grain, the cabinet maker said that we needed to go with oak for the new cabinets and then paint that as well, so that's what we did. He also added a lot of cool storage things when he added the cabinets so that was nice. He also built an island for us too, with all sorts of bells and whistles! What a difference.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:30 PM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's just awful, along with the rest of the dreary color palette featured on that page.

Are people really so afraid of a little color?
one person's dreary is another person's restful. Preference of one over another is not indicative of fear.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:41 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, big improvement - and I feel your pain. I hated having my kitchen torn up. We didn't move or add any windows, but we did change the footprint so it included jack hammering through the concrete slab foundation - OMG!!!

We were also able to keep some of our cabinets - they were solid oak and good quality but you know - that golden oak color that was all the rage in the 1990s. We just wanted to paint them and that was fine but since oak has a distinct grain, the cabinet maker said that we needed to go with oak for the new cabinets and then paint that as well, so that's what we did. He also added a lot of cool storage things when he added the cabinets so that was nice. He also built an island for us too, with all sorts of bells and whistles! What a difference.
Thank you.. The before kitchen as you can see was a worthless, old and had to go, you can see the updates that where added over the years by the former owner... So yeah complete gut! Jack hammer, well I can say we've never done that, "oh my"..I bet that drove you mad the sound and dust... But your kitchen looks great, if one can recycle real wood, go for it.. Are where ugh plywood at best...

It say I have already posted my pics on other post here, so it won't post them here but here the much needed kitchen window I gained and the view as well~~
Attached Thumbnails
2017 Color of the Year-15799850_10207599591816552_3506359713697350711_o.jpeg   2017 Color of the Year-dscf3992.jpg  

Old 01-03-2017, 06:22 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Good Lord! That view is unbelievable. Why on earth did the builder NOT have a window over the sink originally? You can bet that kitchen was not designed by a woman or anybody who has to stand at the sink for more than 10 minutes out of the day. I bet adding that window and redoing the kitchen added great value to your home too.

When we gutted our kitchen and put in a new one in 2003 the cost and then some was definitely recovered in 2009 when we sold the house. And that was even during the recession.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Good Lord! That view is unbelievable. Why on earth did the builder NOT have a window over the sink originally? You can bet that kitchen was not designed by a woman or anybody who has to stand at the sink for more than 10 minutes out of the day. I bet adding that window and redoing the kitchen added great value to your home too.

When we gutted our kitchen and put in a new one in 2003 the cost and then some was definitely recovered in 2009 when we sold the house. And that was even during the recession.

Agree! The sink used to sit at angle with long peninsula looking into the dinning area if you go back view before pics. The home was built on a Mt top, so the front sits 6 ft off the ground but we have views all the way around us... What sold us on it.... We can walk down to the river below us as well..
Attached Thumbnails
2017 Color of the Year-15493821_10207434887099037_3232041595065958399_o.jpeg   2017 Color of the Year-15800623_10207598577071184_7212614035162348778_o.jpeg   2017 Color of the Year-dscf8072.jpg   2017 Color of the Year-dscf8046.jpg  

Old 01-03-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Thank you.. The before kitchen as you can see was a worthless, old and had to go, you can see the updates that where added over the years by the former owner... So yeah complete gut! Jack hammer, well I can say we've never done that, "oh my"..I bet that drove you mad the sound and dust... But your kitchen looks great, if one can recycle real wood, go for it.. Are where ugh plywood at best...

It say I have already posted my pics on other post here, so it won't post them here but here the much needed kitchen window I gained and the view as well~~
Wow, what a view! My kitchen view looks out over my suburban back yard, which is pleasant but certainly not awe inspiring like your view!

Old 01-03-2017, 04:08 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
WildCard- it looks really cold there. Where do you live?

Old 01-03-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, what a view! My kitchen view looks out over my suburban back yard, which is pleasant but certainly not awe inspiring like your view!
Thank you... The view what sold us, this place was snowed in, so we had to walk a mile up the hill in think forest to reach it but once on top?? WOW! It was all open up and views, we both said 'Will Take It"... Yeah before we even stepped foot inside.. Been here 10 years now, still in love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating