Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which direction did you go in, the last time you redecorated?
I changed my white/neutral walls to colored walls 35 60.34%
I changed my colored walls to white/neutral 23 39.66%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 04:14 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times

Advertisements

White needs a lot of light to come alive.

Any room that doesn't get a lot of natural light, is going to look depressing and institutional with white paint. White needs light to glow. Look at magazines and you will notice that every time a white room looks great, there is natural light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 10:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
White needs a lot of light to come alive.

Any room that doesn't get a lot of natural light, is going to look depressing and institutional with white paint. White needs light to glow. Look at magazines and you will notice that every time a white room looks great, there is natural light.
Good point! A white room with poor natural light will tend to look gray.

Old 06-17-2022, 02:31 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,577,745 times
In my prior house I went from colored walls to white. White gives a clean, neat, happy/cheerful look to a room and is easier to touch up. It's also a better backdrop for paintings/prints. I particularly like white in the kitchen, since it gives a clean, fresh look.

I stick to white or ivory drapes (I used to have gorgeous velvet tan drapes...another neutral...in the living room).

I love colors, though, and use them extensively in decor. Bright colors, used judiciously. Area rugs, painted armoire, brightly colored prints/paintings, etc.

Last edited by bpollen; 06-17-2022 at 02:46 PM..

Old 06-19-2022, 07:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Update - my home's walls were already painted a beautiful soft mossy green, but I repainted most of the ceilings a very pale, soft robin egg blue from Sherwin Williams called "Bravo Blue." I love them so much! And wow, the trim really shows up great now.
Attached Thumbnails
Did you change your house interior from white to color, or color to white?-blue-ceiling-3.jpg  

Old 06-19-2022, 08:59 AM

6,792 posts, read 9,340,858 times
I painted my bright white walls a neutral warm gray.

I know people make fun of the warm grays and say that gray is depressing and whatnot, but I actually really like how color “pops” (man, I hate that I’m using that word, LOL) against it. So I feel like the wood floors, artwork, and other items on the wall look more vivid in terms of the colors on those.

Old 06-21-2022, 09:13 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
After 5yrs- when this thread was started- there’s definitely a shift toward “white” (throw any color of tint at it you want). Color is now in flooring, furniture, artwork, and accessories.

Working with long time client right now who bought an interior unit t’hse (windows only front and back). It was dark- a lot of the original builder color was still in-place along with vile previous owner colors of bedrooms&baths. The ceiling is now WHITE- all walls are a “white” with just a very slight hint of yellow. Several ceiling fixtures were added- cans, LED, etc. along with newer fixtures that bare more bulbs than the previous fixtures. The unit is totally electric- used LEDs exclusively.

Saying that the unit was “transformed” would be an understatement. She is now working with a base “light grey” for accessories with a punch of different coordinating colors in the rooms.

Old 06-21-2022, 11:26 AM

899 posts, read 540,236 times
It's well worth remembering "white" comes in a million different shades and undertones ranging from the cool to warm. A lot of colors people might not think of as white but very pale pink or cream or silver or gray are actually "white" with a slightly colored undertone reacting to the natural light available.

I painted my interiors Benjamin Moore Navajo White (not the same as Sherwin Williams Navajo White FYI) and it really has warmed up the house while keeping it light and airy. It has a soft cream undertone.

I am contemplating painting one of the bedrooms a strong color for the fun of it and to offer a bit of contrast from the rest of the house. It's the smallest bedroom and has the least amount of natural light. But not sure which color (or if I will ever get around to it). FYI the quality of paint and paint job is just as important as the color.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:46 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,546,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Several ceiling fixtures were added- cans, LED, etc. along with newer fixtures that bare more bulbs than the previous fixtures. The unit is totally electric- used LEDs exclusively.

Saying that the unit was “transformed” would be an understatement. She is now working with a base “light grey” for accessories with a punch of different coordinating colors in the rooms.
What color temp are they using for the new LED fixtures?

Old 06-21-2022, 05:15 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Hell will freeze over before I paint a majority of my house shades of white. Besides the fact that I love color, paint reminds me of my rental days. No thanks.

Old 06-22-2022, 09:34 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
What color temp are they using for the new LED fixtures?
4000-4500k, iirc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating