Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:05 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,978,681 times

Advertisements

golfgal - I was going to suggest the same configuration as denverian did, but I wasn't sure what's behind you (outside of the photo's shot). Is that a computer area on the far right (looks like a mat on the floor).

Love that room and the furniture by the way!

rettogo - yes, I use a lot of painting techniques! I love to experiment (because I always remember "it's just paint"! :-) In that Happy Face room I painted the base a flat Pencil Yellow and then took a square sponge and sponged a checkerboard in the same Pencil Yellow except in a semi-gloss. Depending on where you stood in the room you could see the squares. It was neat actually.

Another favorite technique is paint throwing -- yes, literally throwing the paint. We first painted the walls in a semi-gloss white, then covered the ceiling, windows, doors, floor, and trim with plastic. Next was the messy part, but oh my goodness so fun! We had 4 colors: deep red, hunter green, medium blue, medium purple. We stuck our hands into the quarts and threw the paint on the walls, one color at a time. The splatter patterns made for some truly cool shapes (think how one looks up at clouds and can see bunnies and things :-) The only thing we would have done differently is to not start with the red paint -- looked like a murder scene:-)

Preparation for doing stripes is tedious, but worth the time and effort to do it right. Good painter's tape is essential and won't bleed (or won't bleed that much) if carefully applied. Just take the time to press it down well.

I love doing techniques because they hide mistakes and imperfections. And I've learned from my booboos. For example, in the blue guest room with the dry brush technique, my intent was to create a look similar to the cotton of a blue button-down-collar shirt. The vertical dragging was simple (lots of up and down the ladder), but I didn't think about the horizontal dragging -- I didn't have a scaffold to make the constant across the wall drags. Ooops. No biggie though. The walls look good anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 04:47 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
We had the computer there to start but now there is nothing there. It is just a long room. Eventually I would like to put a game table there. There is a half-wall cabinet that sets off the kitchen and this family room. There is one step down into the family room.

I tried putting the chairs on either side of the fireplace but we have to move the couches down too far and the one blocks the patio door. I would like to close in that patio door and just have windows there but that isn't in the plan for many years.

It is just a bad layout all the way around. There isn't enough room at the one end to create a grouping and then where the furniture is now looks cramped because there is so much open space.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:12 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
We tried having the couch there and it looked ok. I think because we don't have a sofa table it looked a little out of place. Maybe I should just buy a sofa table?? We bought that furniture for our old house and it was specifically for that space, I would have done something totally different in this house had I been buying for this house but the furniture is only a couple years old.

Our dog is actually a rat terrier but she has the colorings of a mini-pin.

Yes, Rat Terriers look similar to MinPins. I think the same wild disposition too!

When we moved into our current house, the furniture we had was too small-scale for our big, open living/dining/kitchen area, so we ended up buying new. It's hard to fit furniture from one house into a new one.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:17 PM

369 posts, read 1,638,669 times
my front rooms (dining, living room) are kind of a light sage green, my back rooms (kitchen, family room, sunroom, are a very earthy yellow tone.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:56 PM

6 posts, read 23,349 times
We have a blue kitchen, a (two toned) sage green and grey living room/dining room, a pink hallway with hot pink polka dots, a (three toned) lavender striped master bedroom, a burnt orange office, a turquoise underwater Nemo themed bathroom with fish and seaweed, and the kids room is painted like a fairy tale land with grass/sky and a castle, trees and animals. My husband and I are artistic (he's a musician and I paint), so we like this sort of thing- it sounds crazy but it's very well done. We have nice crown molding and wood floors- it totally works and looks great! It gives our house a lot of character.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,539 times
my whole house is painted in creams and white. would it look weird to have one room that's aqua blue?

Old 07-15-2008, 12:00 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,864,824 times
I have colors but they flow from room to room... Navy in the LR that opens to my Navy and white dining room- both have red accents and the kitchen that opens through a door to the DR is RED and taupe- the halls off the kitchen are taupe and the other is white and taupe faux painted- FR off the kitchen is taupe... it was a dark dark green that my hubby hated (I miss it)...

Old 07-15-2008, 04:59 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,016 times
Living room and hall are Bermuda Sand.

Dining room (open to the living room) is Belgian Waffle (a light, goldish-yellow).

Kitchen is Cavern Moss Green. Love it.

Hall bath is Arabian Sands.

Kids' rooms are a very light cream color. We painted them neutral after putting our house on the market. They were lighter before, but in bad shape. In our new house, their rooms will be painted whatever color they want.

Master bedroom is Beach House blue.

Master bathroom is Silky Sails (a light yellow that's just a little darker than our dining room.)

Old 07-16-2008, 07:08 PM

275 posts, read 1,544,912 times
Default Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirAura View Post
We have a blue kitchen, a (two toned) sage green and grey living room/dining room, a pink hallway with hot pink polka dots, a (three toned) lavender striped master bedroom, a burnt orange office, a turquoise underwater Nemo themed bathroom with fish and seaweed, and the kids room is painted like a fairy tale land with grass/sky and a castle, trees and animals. My husband and I are artistic (he's a musician and I paint), so we like this sort of thing- it sounds crazy but it's very well done. We have nice crown molding and wood floors- it totally works and looks great! It gives our house a lot of character.
Now this we gotta see!!! Post pics.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:10 PM

275 posts, read 1,544,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
Living room and hall are Bermuda Sand.

Dining room (open to the living room) is Belgian Waffle (a light, goldish-yellow).

Kitchen is Cavern Moss Green. Love it.

Hall bath is Arabian Sands.

Kids' rooms are a very light cream color. We painted them neutral after putting our house on the market. They were lighter before, but in bad shape. In our new house, their rooms will be painted whatever color they want.

Master bedroom is Beach House blue.

Master bathroom is Silky Sails (a light yellow that's just a little darker than our dining room.)
Are these BM paints? We finally know what colors we want and the Cavern Moss Green and Bermuda Sand sounds like colors we are looking for. Also the yellows. Great minds......u know the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating