Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Well, brass has been back a few years and is coming into it's full "glory" now it seems. And now I'm seeing quilts everywhere - and wallpaper! Is it the 1980s and 1990s again?

What other trends are you seeing coming back on the scene? I can think of several more but I want to hear from others. And what is your opinion on these "retrends?"

Personally I could do without wallpaper of any kind. I'm OK with the brass - it's a classic in my opinion. And quilts - well, I don't like them on a wall or flung over a table (yes, guilty of both back in the 1980s!) but I'm glad to see that all those old family heirloom quilts haven't been relegated to the very back of everyone's closets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 02:18 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
Well that's good, now all of the brass in my house is back in style. Of course it isn't the "right" kind of brass

I think wallpaper has always been in style. You just don't want to buy a house covered in someone else's.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Well that's good, now all of the brass in my house is back in style. Of course it isn't the "right" kind of brass

I think wallpaper has always been in style. You just don't want to buy a house covered in someone else's.
LOL my brass is back in style too! When we bought the house three years ago, we mulled over whether or not to replace all the brass everywhere and I finally said, "This would cost thousands of dollars that I'd rather spend elsewhere - let's hold onto it and it will come back in style," and it has!

Wallpaper...I don't know - I get sick even of my own after a while. And it's such a pain to take down. I think I am going to stick with paint.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:01 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
When we sold our house 2 years ago, our agent told us we HAD to remove the newish wallpaper on one accent wall, because nobody wants wallpaper. So we did remove it and the new owners put up almost the exact same paper on the same wall. In addition, we removed the old dining room paper on our own volition, and had the walls painted, and the new owners papered every surface of that room, too.

Brass that is in good shape has never bothered me and that's something I wouldn't have spent money to change in my own house. Whether it comes back or not, I'm sticking to what's in my house.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:08 PM

524 posts, read 574,191 times
Well, I like quilts. I have taken down too much wall paper to ever put up any, though I do think the added pattern looks lovely in other peoples homes. Model homes here do a lot of single wall or pops of bold wall paper. Brass, I keep reading it is in, but I don't see much of it.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:39 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,345,820 times
Most home trends are recycled from previous design elements, re-introduced with a contemporary interpretation. The warmer metal alloys are going to be "out" and back "in", again and again. Unless you are bound to trends, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The more interesting questions are what NEW technologies and materials are emerging and how these elements will fit into the design consciousness. I'm interested in how advances in LED and nanotechnology will change interior design. LED wallpaper? Wow!

Speaking of wallpaper, it was never really "out". The cost and hassle of changing out wallpapers are big factors for many consumers who moved away from them, like you mentioned. Modern lifestyle is evolving faster than wallpaper. People move to different homes more frequently now, and people reinvent themselves more readily now. Wallpapers became a sort of barrier to people on the go. But designers have never stopped using wallpaper. The intricate patterns and textural quality of wallpapers make design statements that are difficult to articulate through a coat of paint. Many of the beautifully designed spaces featured in magazines inevitably contain a smartly applied wallpaper here and there, and so many people don't even notice it. Whereas many are now channeling their artistic self-expression through the wallpapers on their laptop and iphones, where the mood du jour can be easily changed with the click of a button (or a finger tap), some still commit to expressing their design statements with wallpaper. Hard to change out? Yes. A big commitment? Certainly. But it's courageous, and I love it!

Old 02-01-2017, 04:52 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I had a bath in my former home in black and white toille wallpaper. If I could I would do it again, but the bathrooms I have now just don't lend themselves to it.

Recently went to a home that had papered a bedroom wall with toile paper and they stopped short of the ceiling by about 18 inches and put a frame around the wallpaper. They hung a mirror on the "framed " wall. It was stunning.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:08 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
I have had accent walls papered. I would never try to do it myself. It's a lot of money so make sure you like it.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:45 PM

Well, as much as I admire wallpaper, I just don't want to do it again in my house. I thought about it for a little nook area, but then I realized that I might want to change it, so instead, I bought yards and yards of very thin fabric, put a tension rod at the top and at the bottom, and shirred the wall instead, if that makes sense. Then I hung a mirror over the shirred fabric - you talk about stunning! And if I want to change it, all I have to do is change the fabric. It was the easiest thing in the world to sew - six straight lines. That was it.

I also enjoy stenciling and I stenciled fleur de lis on an accent wall. That way if I get tired of it, I don't have to strip it off - all I have to do is paint the accent wall.

First photo is of the little nook area. Second is up close stencil and third is the wall I stenciled in the foyer.
Attached Thumbnails
Brass, quilts and wallpaper - say it ain't so!-pendant-lamp-8-feet-smaller.jpg   Brass, quilts and wallpaper - say it ain't so!-foyer-fleur-de-lis.jpg   Brass, quilts and wallpaper - say it ain't so!-foyer-fleur-de-lis-close-smaller.jpg  

Old 02-01-2017, 06:13 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I know - most people hate it, but they probably think about the (now) ugly wallpaper from the 70' & 80' - the a fusty relic of another era, dark busy flowers, and weird colorful patterns... - well it WAS trendy once...
However modern wallpaper could be timeless and beautiful. Coming from Europe, where wallpaper is more popular - I love the look of wallpapered walls!
Shop Designer Wallpaper and Modern Wallpaper Designs | Burke Decor <<< some of those are elegant and chic, although you can't get here the variety and quality available overseas.

An entire room with wallpaper can indeed look old-fashioned or retro looking, but with a little imagination, you can make a comfortable living room with impressive interior. Some people cover just a single accent wall. This gives all the drama and texture of wallpaper without the huge commitment. They use it to define an area in an open plan room, or to create some drama instead of hanging pictures.
Wallpapers can replace boring paint on the walls and transform a room in ways that paint just can't.
Most people opt to paint, because on average, is cheaper and requires very few supplies, and an amateur can apply it. Wallpaper on average is more expensive, more durable, and done right with a high quality, luxury paper, can make rooms look very sophisticated, refined and appealing.

Wallpaper is also one of the greatest weapons in the interior decorator's arsenal. Not only will a single roll often cover a whole wall, making an affordable, yet dramatic, statement, but it is also great for covering up those bumpy walls that you can't afford to strip and replaster.

Last edited by elnina; 02-01-2017 at 06:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating