Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 10:28 PM

19,170 posts, read 16,597,535 times

Advertisements

Thank you silibran and historyfan. The stairs are in a condo I used to own. Couldn't stand the carpet and the wood underneath wasn't the best quality. I used a porch and patio paint so it would hold up longer. I sold the place and moved but got a lot of compliments while it was listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 04:49 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,104,750 times
The stairs are done. I showed hubby the photo Mars posted and he liked it but as we looked at the stairs, that linoleum runner didn't really allow for room to do the stripe effect. We primed the stairs with white primer, even that made a huge improvement. We then painted the risers white, the treads yellow and didn't really like how that turned out. We thought we either needed to go with a darker yellow or change it up some. We then painted just the runner part on the treads yellow and the sides of the stairs white. That made a huge difference but still wasn't quite right. We ended up painting them like a runner, like Mars's photo, minus the stripe and like how that turned out much better. Only flaw, the light paint shows the dog hair so hindsight, we should have painted the stairs dog hair color .

We will see how well the paint holds up. If nothing else, they are ready to go if we add a carpet runner now . We have some touching up to do yet to fill in some of the gaps and such from where the carpet was.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:30 PM

Looks good Qwerty Tackle those gaps with paintable caulk so you can paint to match and you'll be good to go. You're brave to use a light color. Unless you go up and down those stairs in your socks, you'll soon see marks from your shoes. But maybe not. Let us know how it turns out. I love the color yellow, though. It's such a happy color.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Looks good Qwerty Tackle those gaps with paintable caulk so you can paint to match and you'll be good to go. You're brave to use a light color. Unless you go up and down those stairs in your socks, you'll soon see marks from your shoes. But maybe not. Let us know how it turns out. I love the color yellow, though. It's such a happy color.
I might have to stick something in the bigger cracks because there isn't really anything behind there for caulk to grab on to. I haven't looked that closely yet though so who knows.

We really debated going with gray but the yellow is a lot brighter. We mostly wear slippers in the house, but not always. We went with yellow because we wanted the basement brighter. It was darker down there before on purpose because it was mostly used as a TV watching area so that worked, but it's a nice change.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I might have to stick something in the bigger cracks because there isn't really anything behind there for caulk to grab on to. I haven't looked that closely yet though so who knows.

We really debated going with gray but the yellow is a lot brighter. We mostly wear slippers in the house, but not always. We went with yellow because we wanted the basement brighter. It was darker down there before on purpose because it was mostly used as a TV watching area so that worked, but it's a nice change.
I didn't realize the gaps were that large. In that case, you can fill those with patching compound and sand smooth. I know that will work because I had the same problem with my stairs. I had huge gaps but I just filled them with patching compound, waited to cure and sanded well before painting. By the time I finished, you couldn't see where any type of repair job was done. It will work, I promise.

Here's a bit better close up of the stairs when finished. You can see there are no more gaps.

And you thought this was going to be a quick fix, didn't you? lol I swear, to make something look great, there's a lot of prep work before that can happen. You can do it! I'm off to buy mortar now. Redoing the bathroom vanity and sink. What was I thinking???

Old 02-06-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I didn't realize the gaps were that large. In that case, you can fill those with patching compound and sand smooth. I know that will work because I had the same problem with my stairs. I had huge gaps but I just filled them with patching compound, waited to cure and sanded well before painting. By the time I finished, you couldn't see where any type of repair job was done. It will work, I promise.

Here's a bit better close up of the stairs when finished. You can see there are no more gaps.

And you thought this was going to be a quick fix, didn't you? lol I swear, to make something look great, there's a lot of prep work before that can happen. You can do it! I'm off to buy mortar now. Redoing the bathroom vanity and sink. What was I thinking???
It's always something. Mainly this was a "I can't find a carpet or runner I like" fix . This was all the result of some sewer back up last spring so we ended up with a new basement. We figured that since we were fixing part of it, we might as well do it all. We hadn't planned on new tile in the shower, but it started falling off as we were working around the shower and all the studs were rotted so something wasn't installed right...so, now I have a nice new shower too. I love it! We put in a new vanity and sink too. I love the top we got. It's Onyx brand and we got a light blue/gray speckled top in a flat finish. I'm still trying to figure out a mirror for in there though.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:18 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,322,522 times
Quote:
It's always something. Mainly this was a "I can't find a carpet or runner I like" fix . This was all the result of some sewer back up last spring so we ended up with a new basement. We figured that since we were fixing part of it, we might as well do it all. We hadn't planned on new tile in the shower, but it started falling off as we were working around the shower and all the studs were rotted so something wasn't installed right...so, now I have a nice new shower too. I love it! We put in a new vanity and sink too. I love the top we got. It's Onyx brand and we got a light blue/gray speckled top in a flat finish. I'm still trying to figure out a mirror for in there though.
If you have a double sink, do two mirrors framed like a picture. If one, just one large frame around it. You can then finish the wood however you like.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
lol @ "It's always something." Boy oh boy, is that ever true. Sounds like you're really going to town on the basement. Watch out, though. Someone might want to move in there. hehe Beautiful colors on the vanity and top. A color choice with so many options for wall color, rugs, towels, Etc. Good luck choosing a mirror. Don't forget. If you find a framed mirror you like but you're not crazy about the color, you can always paint it. I've done that to both frames and lighting fixtures. Who wants to pay $400 for a light just because it's oil rubbed bronze? Rustoleum has the same paint for $6. You can turn anything into a treasure with paint.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
If you have a double sink, do two mirrors framed like a picture. If one, just one large frame around it. You can then finish the wood however you like.
It's a single sink. Mainly I'm trying to decide on shape and finish. The cabinetry is white with brushed stainless knobs/faucet so trying to decide on a white framed mirror or brushed stainless--leaning toward the brushed stainless--then oval, round, square, rectangle, then to actually find what I want...

Quote:
lol @ "It's always something." Boy oh boy, is that ever true. Sounds like you're really going to town on the basement. Watch out, though. Someone might want to move in there. hehe Beautiful colors on the vanity and top. A color choice with so many options for wall color, rugs, towels, Etc. Good luck choosing a mirror. Don't forget. If you find a framed mirror you like but you're not crazy about the color, you can always paint it. I've done that to both frames and lighting fixtures. Who wants to pay $400 for a light just because it's oil rubbed bronze? Rustoleum has the same paint for $6. You can turn anything into a treasure with paint.
I was planning on redoing our kitchen, until the sewer backed up . We moved into the basement so the kids, well, they will have to find another basement of their own . I have limited options for mirror selection in town so I'm going to have to go on a shopping run one of these weekends. I need to find a light for an art nook too so I'll be on a mission.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:07 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,322,522 times
I think shape needs to reflect your use of the mirror. In other words, do two people ever use the mirror at the same time? If so, round or oval won't work as well.

Good luck on your mission! Lighting, for me, has been my hardest choice. There are just too many options!!!! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating