Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 11:41 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times

Advertisements

There was a recent article on Houzz about Home Exterior Makeovers. Maybe you'll see something that gives you some ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 01:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I also wonder if you are interested in artificial stone or natural stone?

Why don't you pay for an hour or two of an designer's time for advice? Before you book him or her, find out if he or she has experience with local home exteriors. You could even send a pic of your house ahead of the appointment. You could also designate a budget.

I will say that you should choose stone or faux stone and siding and trim colors together for a cohesive look.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,119 times
Thanks a lots for your crucial idea .

Old 04-14-2020, 05:48 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
We are revisiting this project now. Part of our siding came off and we have wind damage to the roof, so we filed an insurance claim. The contractor says that people are choosing dark color choices. Beige, cream and reds are not used. Since this original post we have installed white garage doors.

Any thoughts on siding and roof color? We might paint the brick temporarily until we can save up for the stone front.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:26 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
I think the original colors of your house are lovely and they work well with one another. Since you feel comfortable with that color scheme, why not stay with it and just freshen it up with new materials? Someone up-post recommended thickening the pillars and I like that idea too. I think the aversion some might feel to adding stone in front is that if it's not done correctly, it can look like the stone was just pasted on. I owned a bi-level years ago and my husband grew up in a tri-level. His parents kept the tri-level for many years after their kids were grown and flown - it was a great family house and wonderful for multi generational family gatherings. Those homes were built before the "open concept" craze took over. I love the layout of a tri-level but would have trouble now with all the stairs. Keep us posted with pics!

Old 04-14-2020, 11:01 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I think the original colors of your house are lovely and they work well with one another. Since you feel comfortable with that color scheme, why not stay with it and just freshen it up with new materials? Someone up-post recommended thickening the pillars and I like that idea too. I think the aversion some might feel to adding stone in front is that if it's not done correctly, it can look like the stone was just pasted on. I owned a bi-level years ago and my husband grew up in a tri-level. His parents kept the tri-level for many years after their kids were grown and flown - it was a great family house and wonderful for multi generational family gatherings. Those homes were built before the "open concept" craze took over. I love the layout of a tri-level but would have trouble now with all the stairs. Keep us posted with pics!
Yes definitely want to update the colors. I love the layout but long term the house will be way to big once the kids leave home. It’s 5 bedrooms.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:14 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
Decisions, decisions. They're so difficult when you're dealing with colors. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I'm a big copycat when it comes to home designs and home colors. I've been known to go into very expensive new neighborhoods and find the color combinations I like. And copy them. I've also gone to many sample homes, including Southern Living idea homes, and copy the inside and outside colors.

My new home has vinyl on a large second story dormer, however it looks like a scalloped wood siding. It helps that the house sits 4 feet off the ground and the first floor's got 10' ceilings. No one can get close enough to the vinyl siding to see that it's top quality vinyl. If I had been building the house, I would have done it in Hardiplank or a comparable product.

Go out and find a home with the colors that really hits you right. They're out there.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:18 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
It depends on region what siding is used. In the Northeast and Midwest, vinyl is still the top siding choice. Fiber cement/Hardi-Plank is most popular in the Mountain West and Pacific Northwest. In most of the Southwest, stucco is the siding of choice. In the South Central United States, brick is the preferred siding. The South Atlantic shows the most diversity in siding choice, with some areas preferring vinyl, some preferring fiber cement, some brick, and some stucco (the latter chiefly in Florida).

Old 04-23-2020, 08:45 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Here’s my house. The stone is similar in color to what you liked upthread. It’s CanyonStone by PlyGem in Suede color. I have stucco on the front painted SW 7507 Stone Lion and the trim and garage are SW 7026 Griffin. The front door is dark red.

Edit: hells bells can’t get picture to post...will keep trying

Last edited by Okey Dokie; 04-23-2020 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating