Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2017, 02:49 PM

216 posts, read 254,680 times

Advertisements

San Diego. I'm replacing the carpeting in my 2F condo (that I'll be living in) with laminate and I don't want any issues with my downstairs neighbor. I'm aware that carpeting is the best option for noise reduction but the only decent carpeting I found was 3x the cost of the laminate I liked so I dropped that idea quick.

The condo is 625 sq ft, ~600 of which would be covered by laminate and ~25 covered by slate in the small kitchen and bathroom areas (which also currently have slate, I just don't like the style of what's there now).

I was able to find numerous options for soundproofing but have no idea on how to proceed in picking the most cost effective option. The installation guide recommends to use "premium grade laminate flooring underlayment" which doesn't help much. Keep in mind I'll have to get HOA approval for everything.

Here are the options I have found thus far (open to other suggestions of course):

Cork

Rubber

Serena

Stone wool

Everything else

I would assume the HOA wouldn't allow any structural changes to the subfloor as shown in the Serena and stone wool options, please correct me if I'm wrong.

At this point without knowing really anything I'm inclined to go with this for the laminate and this for the slab (is it even necessary for the slab?) as they appear to be the most cost effective options, but if there's a noticeably better option I'm willing to spend more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 07:19 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,447,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKiwi View Post
I'm aware that carpeting is the best option...
You (and your neighbor) will never be happy with the effects of laminate...
regardless of what sort of under layment you might use.
More critically... the HOA agreement probably requires carpeting.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:42 PM

216 posts, read 254,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You (and your neighbor) will never be happy with the effects of laminate...
regardless of what sort of under layment you might use.
More critically... the HOA agreement probably requires carpeting.
No, I've seen a couple other 2F units in the complex with laminate and it's a significant improvement. There are good reasons as to why most people don't put in carpeting anymore...

Old 03-06-2017, 11:51 AM

17,403 posts, read 65,544,355 times
Ive used this-

Foam Products

It has some really good sound-absorbing qualities. Is there better? Maybe. But compared to the other products that were available it seemed far superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating