Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 03:14 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times

Advertisements

Depends on the house, the brick, the trim. I'm not really a fan of brick and particularly not the orange, yellow or tan brick. I do like weathered red brick pavers as patios, but otherwise, unless there is some historic or stylistic reason to leave it (ie: the mantel will really only look good with natural brick), count me in as someone who will paint it.

I generally prefer to leave natural wood as natural wood, but there are exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 04:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Painted brick is labor intensive and also requires a LOT more maintenance than unpainted brick. So think long and hard before you decide to paint a brick house - especially if you could really change the look by painting or adding trim, shutters, doors, porches, etc.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:19 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
No doubt painting brick is a PITA. I painted brick on one of our houses, just the front of it, in 2003.(using a brush) Surprisingly it still looks good and I know they never repainted anything. The house is exactly the same as when we sold it.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
It always amazes me when people choose a really ugly brick. I mean, why choose an ugly brick? Pretty brick doesn't cost any more than ugly brick usually. I know that taste is subjective but honestly - some brick is just really, really ugly. Just a pleasant, low key brick...there's so much of that out there. Why go ugly? LOL

Old 03-29-2017, 05:14 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Drapes on the floor I just saw that last night. Ugh talk about dust collectors and what a pain when you vacuum or mop.
My drapes go all the way to the floor. They were a little too long when we bought them about a year ago, and I actually only got around to mending them a few weeks ago. Its really not a pain to vacuum around them. They're in my bedroom, so when I'm going to vacuum, I just drape them over my dresser, or if I'm doing a quick vacuum, I just move them out of the way as I'm vacuuming.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:36 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

Drapes on the floor I just saw that last night. Ugh talk about dust collectors and what a pain when you vacuum or mop.
Curtains that form a puddle at the bottom (on purpose) are most commonly seen in large houses with classical architecture. You really need tall windows and ceilings for them to have the graceful effect they are meant to have.

They tend to look out of place in any other context. There would be staff to deal with them in a mansion, so the owners wouldn't care.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:19 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,601 times
I understand the importance of child safety, but it irritates me when couples pass up on beautiful homes simply because of some small issue such as banister ledges, stairs, hill in back yard, etc. I'm like, your kid won't be a toddler forever, get over it!

Old 03-30-2017, 05:44 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Curtains that form a puddle at the bottom (on purpose) are most commonly seen in large houses with classical architecture. You really need tall windows and ceilings for them to have the graceful effect they are meant to have.

They tend to look out of place in any other context. There would be staff to deal with them in a mansion, so the owners wouldn't care.

Ah...so I'm just lacking the staff, lol.

Actually the windows in your picture make statement enough and those drapes look good. There isn't too much on the floor.

The one I was on TV was not from the ceiling but had at least a foot of drapery on the floor. It kind of reminds me of wedding trains. Another dopey idea. Sure let's clean the floor with my dress

Again as I always say practical and pretty don't mix.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:45 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I understand the importance of child safety, but it irritates me when couples pass up on beautiful homes simply because of some small issue such as banister ledges, stairs, hill in back yard, etc. I'm like, your kid won't be a toddler forever, get over it!
That irritates me also.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:12 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Ha ha ha, so true. Put up netting or a gate for a year, and then enjoy the house for 20 years.

My folks like in a house with a double stair case (both of which were quite steep) and several other features that aren't the best for toddlers. Somehow they raised a whole houseful of kids without killing any of us. Or even doing serious damage. I believe in safety gates, etc. but not in bypassing a perfectly nice house when toddlers grow up so quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating