Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 12:06 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I think "mockery watching" would be a better term.
Or, maybe, "snark watching".
I just go with what the kids are calling it these days. Although apparently I should have hyphenated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate-watching
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 03:08 PM

143 posts, read 166,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
This is funny because it is completely true. I have no problem with people and their tiny house mentality, but for the same price you are spending on buying/building a tiny house on a trailer, you could have just bought a double-wide or even just a small house (800sq/ft or something similar). People can call it a tiny house all they want, but at the end of the day, they live in a mobile home that they paid a small (see what I did there) fortune for.
There are tiny homes being built in my community on permanent foundations. They are built by a local builder at his warehouse, but affixed to a concrete slab (which they do not provide along with plumbing and electrical and the parcel of land). At the end of the day they just can't be wheeled away like a mobile home. The buyer will own the home and the land it is on. They meet all the criteria as a single family home for conventional & VA financing. The first home in the community is being donated to a disabled veteran and his service dog. They are expensive though. I think they start around $70K for a 360sq ft home.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:45 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunsOnCoffee View Post
There are tiny homes being built in my community on permanent foundations. They are built by a local builder at his warehouse, but affixed to a concrete slab (which they do not provide along with plumbing and electrical and the parcel of land). At the end of the day they just can't be wheeled away like a mobile home. The buyer will own the home and the land it is on. They meet all the criteria as a single family home for conventional & VA financing. The first home in the community is being donated to a disabled veteran and his service dog. They are expensive though. I think they start around $70K for a 360sq ft home.
I think these are perfectly fine. I do think 70K is a bit much for what I'm assuming is Central Florida.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:25 AM

143 posts, read 166,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I think these are perfectly fine. I do think 70K is a bit much for what I'm assuming is Central Florida.
Yup. Central FL. They are so expensive for what you are getting.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:23 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Well, the Scott brothers did some nice updating to this house
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...,-CA-90004_rb/

Of course, Jonathan did spend over $1M by my reckoning.
http://www.hgtv.com/shows/property-b...oneymoon-house

Old 12-03-2017, 02:11 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
Yes! That's the kind of updating I like. They preserved the house's original character while bringing it into the current era. They can do a house like that for me any time. Now if only I had the funds!

Old 05-31-2018, 08:51 PM

35 posts, read 29,588 times
So many of HGTV's redos look worse than the before. I recorded the new show Boise Boys since my husband went to high school in Boise. They picked a beautiful, well cared for house with sandstone exterior and fireplace then painted the sandstone! It was so sad we had to quit watching.

We did enjoy fixer upper. It wasn't always to my taste but most of the houses did need some fixing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whotoldyouthat View Post
On every show on HGTV someone says something nice about a house if it is open concept and something negative if it is not. Many lovely homes are not open concept and many homes with open concept are not necessarily comfortable to live in. It is almost like they are trying to convince us and setting rules about what we should like or approve of.

I agree. I can't be the only one who doesn't want to hear the kitchen appliances or smell cooking when I'm in the living room. They show these big houses that have the look of an apartment.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:01 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
I don't like the open concept layout. it reminds me of a time when people lived in log cabins, which were basically one big room.

I guess it's true...everything that's old is new again!

Old 06-01-2018, 07:09 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,113,643 times
One thing I'll say for the Beachfront Bargain shows is the buyers often look at homes with older features and the buyers don't seem to mind. There's not as much "OMG I can't possibly stand to buy a house with last year's backsplash!" Of course, maybe HGTV rules get relaxed because there are only so many homes on (or near) beachfront property you can look at.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:21 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,373 times
About 4 years ago I "cut the cable" and only have OTA television reception now - - so no HGTV.

However, back when I watched HGTV we used to laugh and laugh at the red walls they seemed to love so much, at that time! I can sure think of a lot more restful paint color schemes than having one or more red walls. Not my cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating