Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 07:05 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times

Advertisements

The most important question has been asked but not answered: What is the zoning on your property?

Your town probably has restrictions on renting it out for various functions, and it would be good to know that.

Since you don't have the money for any improvements that would make the most of that incredible building, you should at least paint it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 12:34 PM

5,840 posts, read 5,249,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The most important question has been asked but not answered: What is the zoning on your property?

Your town probably has restrictions on renting it out for various functions, and it would be good to know that.

Since you don't have the money for any improvements that would make the most of that incredible building, you should at least paint it.
We plan to paint it and do other upgrades to it-replace rotted boards on the second floor and replace windows. We also want to electrify it which it had electricity at some point. But, all of that is put on hold until we sell that &^%$# boat. Once the boat sells, then I want to have the driveway paved before having the garage painted.

Cat

Old 01-05-2019, 01:50 PM

50,169 posts, read 63,623,198 times
Aren’t there boat brokers, or is that just for yachts? It seems like you’d have better luck if it was at a place where folks go to shop for boats.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Aren’t there boat brokers, or is that just for yachts? It seems like you’d have better luck if it was at a place where folks go to shop for boats.
We listed it on boat selling sites, put up flyers in places in the area. The problem is, around here many "boat" people are into motorboats, not sailboats. If we were closer to a "sailing community" we would have better luck.

Cat

Old 01-06-2019, 08:44 PM

18,408 posts, read 31,532,830 times
is this an old thread?
anyway, heres my take.

You can make it an outside retreat, meaning, get windows, skylights, remove the garage doors, and make it like a greenhouse, plants room. maybe a ceiling fan, comfy chase lounges to keep you cool on a summer day. a table chairs, like outside, but inside (thus removing the doors)

I love plants, seeds, rooting, etc...this would be a great place for that, so then I thought like a conservatory room, and then I thought skylights, ceiling fan (s) a new floor w/ pavers...

i guess like people have a screen house is kinda what I mean, I can envision it in my head. OMG, Id have fun with this.

Even if you just clean it up add the windows and paint it, if just for purely for looks (and not use it) would be better than the condition it is in now......
and I def understand, this isnt the most important thing in the bucket, so it kinda gets thron back in...

but, it is adoreable, and can really be made even better... I almsot feel like I want to start schetching.......................

good luck and keep us updated

Old 01-07-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
is this an old thread?
anyway, heres my take.

You can make it an outside retreat, meaning, get windows, skylights, remove the garage doors, and make it like a greenhouse, plants room. maybe a ceiling fan, comfy chase lounges to keep you cool on a summer day. a table chairs, like outside, but inside (thus removing the doors)

I love plants, seeds, rooting, etc...this would be a great place for that, so then I thought like a conservatory room, and then I thought skylights, ceiling fan (s) a new floor w/ pavers...

i guess like people have a screen house is kinda what I mean, I can envision it in my head. OMG, Id have fun with this.

Even if you just clean it up add the windows and paint it, if just for purely for looks (and not use it) would be better than the condition it is in now......
and I def understand, this isnt the most important thing in the bucket, so it kinda gets thron back in...

but, it is adoreable, and can really be made even better... I almsot feel like I want to start schetching.......................

good luck and keep us updated

Yes, it is an old thread but nothing has really happened since I started it.

Like I said, we plan on putting in the windows & having it painted.

I like the idea of a greenhouse and thought about it-outside the garage but I don't it would work-our property isn't very big. The idea is to keep the carriage house as much possible in its original form. We could put in lighting for plants but it wouldn't work in the winter because it is not heated/insulated.

There is still so much work to be done before we decide to do ANYTHING. It is so frustrating because we can't do the things that we want to with that boat in the way.

Cat

Old 01-07-2019, 03:51 PM

6,351 posts, read 4,120,575 times
I would start with the zoning to determine the allowed usage, then onto what use would command the best lease and then evaluate that with utility costs and insurance.

Big variables such as long term storage vs a wood shop or studio of some sort.

Then determine construction costs, property tax increase, insurance, etc, based on the intended use.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:49 AM

30,367 posts, read 16,094,682 times
Just have it dismantled and moved. Somebody somewhere might want a beautiful old building like that.

Your taxes go down (maybe). You don't have to come up with a use for something you really have no use for. The building gets saved. Somebody gets a potentially beautiful old building.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:59 AM

2,693 posts, read 3,390,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post

I like the idea of a greenhouse and thought about it-outside the garage but I don't it would work-our property isn't very big. The idea is to keep the carriage house as much possible in its original form. We could put in lighting for plants but it wouldn't work in the winter because it is not heated/insulated.

There is still so much work to be done before we decide to do ANYTHING. It is so frustrating because we can't do the things that we want to with that boat in the way.

Cat
I don't know if there is sailing on Venus but
if not can you sell it to a broker down south?
The east coast states have a good bit of sailing and
maybe a broker or middle man wants to buy it. If you don't need the money from
selling the boat maybe just put a fire sale price on it , also list in
places like craigs list.

Don't fret over time gone by , we all have projects that do not
move along at the pace we like , that said I would hate looking at that boat
every time I am in driveway . Good luck and one day
you guys will be dancing in that barn.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:25 AM

6,351 posts, read 4,120,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post

Cat
I would consider new roof shingles prior to doing any other work to spruce up its appearance in order to protect the structural integrity of the building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating