Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 07:56 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times

Advertisements

I have no choice but to use a spare room as both storage and an office.

I don't have any other space to store what most would store in an attic.
I have trimmed it down to about 30 boxes that fit against the wall and take up about 1/4 of this 12 x 12 room.

My question is how to I make the storage look better.
I have considered using moving boxes and painting the side that faces the room.
I also considered using long curtains that span the length of the room and hiding the boxes behind that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 11:46 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Put them in the closet

Old 03-19-2017, 03:57 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
Hang a curtain or put up a privacy screen of some kind to hide them?

Old 03-19-2017, 05:09 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
What kind of stuff are you storing? IF they are documents, can you scan them and get rid of the paper? If it is stuff try this trick that I was told about when I was actually moving. Pretend you are moving and every box the mover has to touch will cost you $100. That adds up very quickly and things I could not live without because fairly easy to get rid of.

As I said we were moving, but in the end using this imagery helped me to end up with only a 3 boxes of stuff that 4 years later I could have lived without.

If you don't want to put up curtains try a tri or quad fold screen.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
A curtain would take up the least amount of space.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I vote for a curtain if you absolutely must keep this stuff.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:44 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
It depends on how big the boxes are. Ideally, get a large storage unit or shelves (Ikea would be good) with doors, and cover one wall with it and put all the boxes in there. If you can't fit them in shelves with doors, use large open shelves (I love the ikea modular ivar, also very cheap, but billy in white also looks good), and then get really attractive boxes (plastic, not cardboard) and put them on the shelves in a way that looks pleasing. There are so many styles of boxes available, you should be able to make it look really nice. I did that in my last office, and had one whole wall of shelving with boxes and books, and it looked pretty good.

A curtain or set of curtains can also look nice, but you would have to find one that spans the whole of the room, and I'm not sure how that would work.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:52 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post

A curtain or set of curtains can also look nice, but you would have to find one that spans the whole of the room, and I'm not sure how that would work.
They work well. I know one person who has it in a sitting area and two people who blocked off storage in their basements.

My mother got creative did it in my bedroom when I was a teen. My twin bed was on the far wall...a hutch cabinet with books and TV was at the foot area and she had a rod going across the length with swayed curtains(old patterned sheets that matched my bedspread). It closed off my whole bed area and was cool....I had my own private cubby

Old 03-19-2017, 08:15 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I can't imagine what you have in 30 boxes for storage. Holiday stuff?
I downsized to NOTHING twice in relocating. Stuff. I've seen too many estate sales with boxes of stuff left untouched and forgotten for years. Good china? Good silver? Take that stuff out and use it! Nothing sadder than beautiful stuff that's never used and sits in boxes for ever.

I vote for trimming back more, get bins, pack wisely, use a storage unit designed to hold bins.
You could hire someone to help you organize. But it's your stuff and ultimately, you keep what you want.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:20 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Sometimes we just have treasures we want to keep. I understand.

How about building a false wall with an opening at one or both ends. Ive seen this done as a closet for clothes with the bed headboard on the false wall. Later when you sell it would be a bedroom with extra closet space. The boxes would be in the "closet".

If you don't want to build an actual wall you could do free standing bookcases. Same principal. Just make sure to anchor them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating