Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 02:05 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times

Advertisements

Hello, we currently have a fiberglass front door (6 panel) that is framed with two sidelights and a transom above. The door itself is protected by a glass storm door. The house is 16 years old, and when these were installed they were likely high-end. We're the second owners and don't like the door and would like to change it out for something nicer. But, we do not want a pre-hung door because we don't want to replace the sidelights or the glass transom above. We'd like a two-panel arched wooden door that would be painted black (facing the street) and bright white (interior) to match the surrounding trim work.

I would normally not be inclined to go with a wood door in this location, but given the heavy-duty glass storm door protecting it, I feel much better about it. Plus, I like the idea of wood because I can plane it down to fit perfectly. I am capable of routing in the hinge mounts and hardware.

We don't want to spend a ton on the door itself. It can be unfinished as I will need to paint it myself anyway with the same black and white paints to match the interior trim and outside shutters and flower boxes.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good place where I can look to order the door online and have it delivered to me? I tried home depot, and they have a couple but they're "knotty" wood, meant to be stained to look their best.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 02:25 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
I went through the process of looking for a nicer stain-grade wood door and everywhere I could find online wanted $2k (odd sized opening). Walked into my local hardware store and they were able to get me a very nice douglas fir door for $800 delivered/after tax.

So, if you haven't bothered to check with the smaller/locally owned hardware/lumber stores it's worth your time.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:36 PM

Thanks Brian, I think I'm on that exact same path myself. I keep seeing the same as you mentioned, thousands of dollars for a door online..

Old 03-20-2017, 06:45 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Even if it's veneered with a staining grade wood, it doesn't mean you can't paint it. It's generally going to be a veneer if you buy at Home Despot.

Why don't you visit a true lumberyard, which can probably order you something of reasonable cost.

No need for routers, just use a sharp chisel. While you might cut your finger with a chisel, you can't cut your finger off with a chisel. Chiseling out for three hinges and a couple locks isn't exactly precision work.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:28 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Pella-

Pella 2 Panel Arch Entry Door Solid Panel | Pella

...and yes, you can get just the slab. It comes in either f/glass or steel. I prefer the steel because it has a foam core (better insulation); never been a fan of the f/glass doors- they take almost as much maintenance as and actual wood door.

The biggest complaints I always got with actual wood panel doors is shrinkage and splitting- and storm doors do nothing to keep that from happening- if anything, it made it worse!

Old 03-22-2017, 06:37 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Try an architectural salvage place. They have some great doors that can refinished.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Pella-

Pella 2 Panel Arch Entry Door Solid Panel | Pella

...and yes, you can get just the slab. It comes in either f/glass or steel. I prefer the steel because it has a foam core (better insulation); never been a fan of the f/glass doors- they take almost as much maintenance as and actual wood door.

The biggest complaints I always got with actual wood panel doors is shrinkage and splitting- and storm doors do nothing to keep that from happening- if anything, it made it worse!

Thanks amigo, I agree on the steel doors. We're in need of replacing our garage entry door that is steel with a new one. Old one is dented up so badly there is no way of saving it.

We had our rear patio doors (sliders, Anderson) replaced with French doors last year. Ended up with a composite structure that is paintable, and really like it. But the door in question for this post is our front, and it's a key piece to the overall feel of the interior space. We have an open foyer and the front door is seen from upstairs and down, so really want something that is appealing for the interior. The storm door is a heavy duty (probably Pella) unit. It catches the wind-driven rain and snow from hitting the actual door. I figure if I can get a decent wooden door for under $1,000 and get 5 years out of it before problems, that'll be ok with us.

Thanks on the advice of heading to the local lumber yard. Heading there on Saturday to take a look. If prices are decent, might be the spot where we also start replacing these hollow-core interior doors with wood doors as well.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:30 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
5 years life on a wooden front door?

My house, built 1939, has its original (wood, obviously) front door. 78 years on the same door and no problems. If you don't get similar results, something is very seriously wrong.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:43 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
5 years life on a wooden front door?

My house, built 1939, has its original (wood, obviously) front door. 78 years on the same door and no problems. If you don't get similar results, something is very seriously wrong.

Not true. My sister has a wooden door on her home circa 1929. The door is fabulous. A few irregularities here and there but all in all, still close to perfection and with weight. I bought a home a mile from her in 1997 and replaced the door that was peeled and could not be saved, with an all wood paneled and 6 lites of glass new door that cost a bundle. When I sold my home in 2013 that door, while properly maintained did not look as good as hers did. Mind you we had the same southern exposure. The door of old, like many things are not made like they used to be.

OP, another consideration is the exposure. While a storm door offers protection, it also bakes the door if you have direct sunlight on it all day.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:44 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
[/b]
The door of old, like many things are not made like they used to be.
It's also not made with the wood of old. true old growth hardwood, properly dried and joined, makes a big difference in the life of the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating