Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 11:06 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

forbid kids to sit on them. 10 years later, my purple microsuede couches still look like they've been recently purchased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 07:55 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,233,645 times
The density of the foam in the cushions plays a huge part. A properly dense foam means the furniture will last longer. Just as a carpet cushion absorbs the abrasion that would otherwise wear down carpet more quickly, so does proper upholstery foam. If the foam isn't holding up, then your weight and your movements wears on the fabric instead. The yarns get worn from abrasion, the loft gets crushed, etc.

Also consider the frame. Some chairs, and fewer sofas, are made with steel frames....which is obviously more durable than wood. But the bigger problem with wood is that a lot of times the frame is just plywood. Maybe the legs or other bits are solid wood, but even then they are often made out of 'rubber wood' or some other term used to tout sustainable harvesting. The wood extraction may be sustainable, but not so sustainable when you throw it in the landfill after a few years.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:40 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
I got lucky and bought a very long traditional style couch that is beige.. the piping lines on the cushions always look straight. My last sofa the lines on the cushions would move and look saggy. I was always fixing them.

I do live in my home ,, I now like comfort , but work to keep it looking good. The cushions were made very well. We sit on this sofa , and two people can easily sprawl out and get very comfortable. I like the large flat arms. I put my phone on it and remote so it is handy. It still looks clean too. I have a dog but she is not allowed on any furniture. She has two beds and loves them.

Next time I buy a sofa I will try to find something that holds up as good as this sofa. It is 5 years old and still going strong.

I would make sure the cushions were stuffed with little give to them but comfortable ,not hard. We all try to find something that will last and look good and still get plenty of use . Sometimes it is hit or miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating