Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 11:57 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times

Advertisements

Granite - comes in many grades with much variation in price.
Quartz - one grade via licensed process from Macchine e Impianti per Lavorazione Marmo, Granito e Pietra Composita, centri di lavoro a alta velocità
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 02:10 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
If you want to go for a pricey option, why not wood? Maple butcher block will outlast you and the house, and when it gets stained and scarred it's just patina. Plus it's so far out of fashion that you will be forever immune to the risk of trends changing.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I love my black granite. It is not 'busy'.
That is really beautiful.

We went with black leathered granite for our island top - here's the rough version of black granite. Our main counter tops are soapstone - LOVE it.
Attached Thumbnails
Quartz vs Granite Countertop Pricing?-granite-counter-top-island-120-x  

Old 04-14-2017, 11:30 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
The main disadvantage of granite is also it's advantage - every slab is unique. It all depends on what you are looking for AND your ability to hand-pick slabs so that you know exactly what you are getting and how the slabs will be cut to fit. If you are looking at a granite* sample that has a lot of movement and veining in it, you may or may not get that if your builder (or actually your builder's subcontractor) is the one who picks the slabs.

Granite has come down in price because the worldwide supply has increased, but the flip side of that is that the quality is sometimes not what it was, particularly on the cheap "builder big box" stores and builder-grade supply houses. Check the slab for large pits and cracks near the veining. I have seen some dodgy stuff.

The main advantage of quartz is that it is fairly uniform (because it is manufactured to be) and durable and the color match between slabs is *fairly* reliable.

And if someone is going to talk cartels and the like as a reason to pick granite over quartz - where, exactly, did that granite come from? China? Brazil? India? Do you want to know what the working conditions in those quarries are like? Google "child labor in granite quarries." Most soapstones are from Canada, the US, Finland and I think Brazil.

My redo of this kitchen (last redone by the previous owners about 7 years ago with the above-mentioned problematic "builder-grade" granite) will likely be with a lightish, low-movement quartz - it is a small kitchen on the north side of the house and it can use all the "light" it can get.

* and I have to say it drives the geologist in me nuts to see what some people call "granite," in petrographic terms a granite is a intrusive volcanic rock formed under certain conditions with a set percentage of SiO2 plus other minerals. If it is black, it is not a granite, it's at least a gabbro or even an extrusive volcanic rock, like a basalt.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 04-15-2017 at 12:00 AM..

Old 04-15-2017, 12:52 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
I don't know if "in style" and "trendy" are two different things, but I do see granite falling out of favor eventually. Which would mean eventually it will look dated, as all the newer homes or renovations use quartz or marble or soapstone or whatever the "next big thing" is.

I say this because I haven't seen anything stay in style forever. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:08 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
They upcharge for the quartz because the standard granite is cheap. If you wanted a more unique granite, you'd be upcharged for that too. The cheaper builder grade granites are not on trend. They look something like this

https://www.uscgranite.com/galleries/venetian-gold/

We have granite, quartz, and quartzite in different areas of our house and I love them all where we chose to put them. Quartz is too manufactured looking for my kitchen taste. I wanted marble but not the upkeep and patina. We ended up with white macubus quartzite and I love it.

https://www.uscgranite.com/products/white-macubas/

Old 04-15-2017, 06:43 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The main disadvantage of granite is also it's advantage - every slab is unique. It all depends on what you are looking for AND your ability to hand-pick slabs so that you know exactly what you are getting and how the slabs will be cut to fit. If you are looking at a granite* sample that has a lot of movement and veining in it, you may or may not get that if your builder (or actually your builder's subcontractor) is the one who picks the slabs.

Granite has come down in price because the worldwide supply has increased, but the flip side of that is that the quality is sometimes not what it was, particularly on the cheap "builder big box" stores and builder-grade supply houses. Check the slab for large pits and cracks near the veining. I have seen some dodgy stuff.

The main advantage of quartz is that it is fairly uniform (because it is manufactured to be) and durable and the color match between slabs is *fairly* reliable.

And if someone is going to talk cartels and the like as a reason to pick granite over quartz - where, exactly, did that granite come from? China? Brazil? India? Do you want to know what the working conditions in those quarries are like? Google "child labor in granite quarries." Most soapstones are from Canada, the US, Finland and I think Brazil.

My redo of this kitchen (last redone by the previous owners about 7 years ago with the above-mentioned problematic "builder-grade" granite) will likely be with a lightish, low-movement quartz - it is a small kitchen on the north side of the house and it can use all the "light" it can get.

* and I have to say it drives the geologist in me nuts to see what some people call "granite," in petrographic terms a granite is a intrusive volcanic rock formed under certain conditions with a set percentage of SiO2 plus other minerals. If it is black, it is not a granite, it's at least a gabbro or even an extrusive volcanic rock, like a basalt.
I've always wondered what makes a granite "builder grade"? Is it lack of veining/movement? Or like you said, the presence of pits and defects? I really don't like a lot of movement at all. I guess quartz would have been my choice but I like the durability and look of black/gray granite. Natural stones, even uniform like black, have flecks of minerals etc. that make them interesting. My counter has gray and brown shimmering in a backdrop of black. I didn't find that with a slab of black quartz.

Like quartz there's a wide range of prices with granite. you tend to pay more for the less uniform granites, so a person's gotta compare apples to apples. I guess granite is "affordable" because like you said, there's more sources, including China (which I am suspect of). I say "affordable" in quotes because $40/ft is still a wad of cash to put out for a countertop.

And lol, I'm no geologist, but my black granite (not absolute black) is probably feldspar with other minerals. it is classified as an "igneous rock" even if it may not be true granite. it's just easier I guess to say "black granite" and probably sexier. "black feldspar" doesn't have the same effect

Old 04-15-2017, 06:46 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I don't know if "in style" and "trendy" are two different things, but I do see granite falling out of favor eventually. Which would mean eventually it will look dated, as all the newer homes or renovations use quartz or marble or soapstone or whatever the "next big thing" is.

I say this because I haven't seen anything stay in style forever. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The new construction I've seen use both quartz and granite, depending on the look they're trying to pull off. I really don't think my counter will ever look dated. it has a classic, basic look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
They upcharge for the quartz because the standard granite is cheap. If you wanted a more unique granite, you'd be upcharged for that too. The cheaper builder grade granites are not on trend. They look something like this

https://www.uscgranite.com/galleries/venetian-gold/

We have granite, quartz, and quartzite in different areas of our house and I love them all where we chose to put them. Quartz is too manufactured looking for my kitchen taste. I wanted marble but not the upkeep and patina. We ended up with white macubus quartzite and I love it.

https://www.uscgranite.com/products/white-macubas/
See, I don't see anything wrong with the "builder grade" granite. It may not be trendy anymore, but it still has its place.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:16 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,437 times
I'm a little puzzled by all the votes for granite due to veining and natural features. While true, quartz is significantly more durable (crack and chip resistant) than granite. But our new granite chipped within a year. That's the offsetting advantage to me. YMMV

Old 04-16-2017, 10:33 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quartz is more expensive than lower grade granite. Quartz is also harder, more durable, non-porous, non maintenance and stain resistant. It is less expensive than the exotic granite. I have had quartz in past two homes and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating