Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 12:39 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I probably should have mentioned that I had a kitchen designer too. Although I picked out the cabinets in the store, we ordered them online to save money. Free kitchen design and layout was part of the package. I don't think we could have done a decent job of trying to figure cabinet placement by ourselves.

Our kitchen designer gave us detailed plans on where spacers should go and placement of the cabinets to make it all symmetrical based on our measurements. Thankfully my husband is very good at taking measurements and using the laser level because we had to see where the flooring or walls were off and take that into consideration for the design. All my appliances are custom fitted to the cabinets too.
My husband only did the installation.

I just know having someone do it all made it so much easier and everything slipped right into place, this guy what exact!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 09:54 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
I personally like contrasting metals. If the cabinets are dark wood then nickel will really pop. Bronze just wouldn't work IMHO. I have maple cabinets with ORB, now those work well together. You don't have to match metals. You can mix and match different metals as long as there's a reason behind it.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:58 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I personally like contrasting metals. If the cabinets are dark wood then nickel will really pop. Bronze just wouldn't work IMHO. I have maple cabinets with ORB, now those work well together. You don't have to match metals. You can mix and match different metals as long as there's a reason behind it.
Mine are maple too but I took the photo's from my cell phone and it really doesn't show the accurate color. They're really not dark, more of a mid range wood tone so I think ORB would look nice too. I figure I'll just buy one of each and bring them home and see which one looks best.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:51 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,815,277 times
I love granite,and oil rubbed bronze. I must b going out style ��

Old 04-22-2017, 06:44 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannymontanny View Post
I love granite,and oil rubbed bronze. I must b going out style ��
We're not going out of style, we are embracing our individuality

Old 04-22-2017, 06:44 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I like the cabinets, but since they are dark, I'd keep everything else light. Light granite, cream subway tile backsplash, and brushed nickel hardware. Stainless sink. I think OP IS overthinking, but I get how that feels when you have to make a bunch of decisions at once.
As far as knobs or pulls. Just buy a few different ones that you like and hold them up. Choose the one you like best. This would be the last thing I'd choose, after the counters and walls are done.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Thanks!

I hesitate to contact an agent.. I have two that I know personally, one of them sold me this home, and they're both bugging me to list with them. I don't want to give either one of them false hope. But when I mentioned we were planning on redoing the kitchen, they both said not to, and that at this price point any buyer will come in, rip it out and redo it their way but it was too late by then. We had already demo'd the entire thing. I wanted a new kitchen anyway and I plan to enjoy it while I'm here.
I'm in NY. Houses are expensive.
Come to think of it, anyone who has bought a home on my block has always been in their early 40's and has more than one income so I guess those would be the buyers I'd have to target. I guess this would be considered an upper middle class neighborhood. One of my friends/ agents said he'd list this for 735.000 but I think it would go for around 700ish or high 6's judging from the comp's in my neighborhood.
I'd take your friends advice and list price suggestion. You can always come down.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Thanks!

I hesitate to contact an agent.. I have two that I know personally, one of them sold me this home, and they're both bugging me to list with them. I don't want to give either one of them false hope. But when I mentioned we were planning on redoing the kitchen, they both said not to, and that at this price point any buyer will come in, rip it out and redo it their way but it was too late by then. We had already demo'd the entire thing. I wanted a new kitchen anyway and I plan to enjoy it while I'm here.
I'm in NY. Houses are expensive.
Come to think of it, anyone who has bought a home on my block has always been in their early 40's and has more than one income so I guess those would be the buyers I'd have to target. I guess this would be considered an upper middle class neighborhood. One of my friends/ agents said he'd list this for 735.000 but I think it would go for around 700ish or high 6's judging from the comp's in my neighborhood.
You can look on realtor.com and see the average price per square foot that homes in your neighborhood list for. Just be sure to consider condition. I mean, there may be a wide range but when you look at the pictures you'll see that some are more updated than others.

Yes, you can always come down but you don't want your house to get stale on the market.

Example - my mom's house. We told our realtor to list it AT the price per square foot that other homes in the neighborhood had sold for - not above, not below, just AT.

House was under contract in three days, at full list price. An important note is that we knew what the homes SOLD for - we didn't go for just what they were LISTED for which can be different. So if you can get the sold prices, that's best but if you can just get the listed prices per square foot, then go by that but shave a few dollars off the price per square foot.

When I was a realtor (and not to brag but I was a good one), I always asked people if they wanted to price the house to sit on the market, draining their checking account, or if they wanted to price it to sell. In fact, I would make them a deal if they insisted on a higher list price - I'd write it into the contract in fact: I'd commit to (fill in the blank marketing plan - photos, open house, fliers to neighbors, various websites, etc depending on the property) and knock the marketing out of the ballpark for 2 weeks. No offer in two weeks, and they would commit to dropping the sale price to my original recommendation.

I can't recall ever having anyone balk at that idea. I also can't recall ever selling an overpriced house in that first two weeks, but I can recall getting good offers as soon as I dropped the price to a realistic number - usually getting a full list price offer, and occasionally getting competing offers and sales at slightly above list price.

So my advice is to do your research on what price PER SQUARE FOOT houses in your neighborhood have actually sold for.

And do remember - a kitchen remodel is one of the most expensive remodels you can do in a house. You say your neighborhood is upper middle class - then don't go cheap on the finishes or cabinetry. The remodel needs to match other local remodeled kitchens in your neighborhood. Then of course, consider this in your asking price.

Our home is in an upper middle class neighborhood in our area. We spent about $22,000 on our master bath remodel. We didn't do it ourselves - we had a contractor do it. I've had people freak out when I told them the price, but what I also knew is that the other homes in our neighborhood with bathroom remodels used about the same level of quality. We simply couldn't go cheap because cheap wouldn't have matched other local homes and when we do eventually sell this home we want the master bath to be comparable to the competition.

Ironically our kitchen remodel wasn't much more expensive (we already had most appliances) than the master bath - but do the math, that means we've spent around $50k in just those two rooms. That's a lot of money but we got the house at a great price BECAUSE it needed updating and remodeling.

When we put in the outside living area, we knew that we probably have gone a bit over what we could ask for this house, by about $10k. I don't really like that, but I wanted to enjoy our back yard and we DO. Houses in this area are appreciating by about 7 percent per year (which is amazing - hope it continues!), so hopefully the market will catch up with what we've got in the house, but if not, well, then we're out $10k, but we didn't buy the house to flip it, we bought it to live in and enjoy.

My point is to find that balance but enjoy your home and if you want to put in something really nice, just decide if you're OK with perhaps nibbling into your profit in exchange for loving it every time you walk into the room (or out on the patio, in our case!).

Old 04-27-2017, 07:18 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,916 times
Thanks Kathryn.

When I'm ready to move I'm going to price it to sell because by that time I'll have some sort of idea where we're going to move to.
I checked Realtor.com and I looked at some comps.. There's so little inventory here in decent neighborhoods that many homes had multiple offers and sold quickly. The trouble is we have no place to go at this time. It all boils down to how much retirement income my husband will get and how much in taxes we'll have to pay if we move out of state. If we stay in NY, we won't be paying state tax on his retirement income.. but there are no decent houses for sale..
I'm stuck between a rock and hard place right now.

On a positive note.. The new dishwasher was delivered this morning.

The granite guy comes to measure today. I chose a light background granite with gray and tan running through it.

I bought a sink and a faucet. Yay.. I went with a spot free stainless faucet because it looked nice with the granite. So, it's coming together. Once I picked out the granite every thing else seemed to fall in place.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Thanks Kathryn.

When I'm ready to move I'm going to price it to sell because by that time I'll have some sort of idea where we're going to move to.
I checked Realtor.com and I looked at some comps.. There's so little inventory here in decent neighborhoods that many homes had multiple offers and sold quickly. The trouble is we have no place to go at this time. It all boils down to how much retirement income my husband will get and how much in taxes we'll have to pay if we move out of state. If we stay in NY, we won't be paying state tax on his retirement income.. but there are no decent houses for sale..
I'm stuck between a rock and hard place right now.

On a positive note.. The new dishwasher was delivered this morning.

The granite guy comes to measure today. I chose a light background granite with gray and tan running through it.

I bought a sink and a faucet. Yay.. I went with a spot free stainless faucet because it looked nice with the granite. So, it's coming together. Once I picked out the granite every thing else seemed to fall in place.
Well, all of that - every bit of it - sounds LOVELY. Hoping you post some pictures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating