Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 09:40 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,405,257 times

Advertisements

We've had granite, and we'd prefer quartz kitchen countertops in our next home. One builder quoted us an upcharge of $8,000 for quartz over the base cost (laminate?). Another builder quoted us an upcharge of $6,800 for quartz over standard granite. Sorry, I don't know the exact sqft for the kitchen counters in the model we're looking at.

I know both can vary considerably in cost per sqft, but I assume the fab & install costs would be about the same. Any idea why a builder would (legitimately) have such a huge upcharge for quartz over granite for just the kitchen? Or are they just trying to hedge/steer us away from quartz?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 11:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
My gosh - have the house built MINUS the cost of the granite countertops and have your own countertops installed - that's my advice.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My gosh - have the house built MINUS the cost of the granite countertops and have your own countertops installed - that's my advice.
I'd like to, but the builder doesn't do credits.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
That is a total rip off! Sorry - I just get so mad about this. He will upcharge you but won't give you a credit for not putting in granite. Wow.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Could you put in formica and then buy your choice of counter?

By the way, our bathroom contractor told us that you could put a hot pot on granite all day long, but you should not put a hot pot down on the same spot multiple times with quartz.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Could you put in formica and then buy your choice of counter?

By the way, our bathroom contractor told us that you could put a hot pot on granite all day long, but you should not put a hot pot down on the same spot multiple times with quartz.
Unfortunately the builder we are leaning toward the standard is granite (presumably low grade), but we could have it replaced, seems like a waste of time and money.

Not what I've heard.
Quote:
Neither material will allow you to set your hot pots directly on the surface either. Thermal shock can crack either stone or quartz. Hot pads are always recommended for both.
http://www.reborncabinets.com/how-to...tz-vs-granite/

https://www.silestone.com/hk/quartz-...nite-worktops/

Old 04-12-2017, 02:37 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
When we were having our kitchen done, I wanted quartz but we found out that quartz is more expensive than granite. Who knew? I hate to say this but I settled for granite because of the cost.

Cat

Old 04-12-2017, 02:48 PM
ptt

497 posts, read 636,759 times
When we did our kitchen(2016) a marble like quartz i picked priced at $55/sqf. At the end i went with real marble which was a lot cheaper at $29/sqf

Old 04-12-2017, 03:09 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Meh, I much prefer granite over man-made stuff. We have black granite, good ol' basic sleek, sexy black, because we like it regardless of cost. I don't know why there'd be a markup either. If the standard is granite, then you're gonna have to suck it up and either eat the markup or pay for the removal of the granite top (which is $$).

For the life of me I don't know why quartz would be more expensive.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Meh, I much prefer granite over man-made stuff. We have black granite, good ol' basic sleek, sexy black, because we like it regardless of cost. I don't know why there'd be a markup either. If the standard is granite, then you're gonna have to suck it up and either eat the markup or pay for the removal of the granite top (which is $$).

For the life of me I don't know why quartz would be more expensive.
The only reason we prefer quartz is, it's more impact and crack resistant than granite. We have granite now, and somehow we chipped the edge of the (undermount) sink, without any big impact. It appears it will be impossible to repair without detecting the repair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating