Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saycheez View Post
In ours,it started out being anthing that was an earth tone was allowed.that being anything from browns,greens,ect.. as long as it fit in to the woodsy envirerment. So majority was shades of browns or dark green stain.i choice a nice sage,and brown with cream trim just to be different and was approved.since that time they have approved even some shades of blue (earth tone?) I guess my question being with so many shades of color a paint store sells,why would you copy someone within your own neighborhood. Another neighbor wanted to be different so had a color made,and she had a builder outside trying to match hers with paint sample s,lol oh well i guess its like going to a party and six people are wearing the same dress,what are you gonna do ��thanks for the feedback
I think others trying to copy my colors is OK, as long as it isn't for a house on my block.

Your choices sound pretty. I imagine your house is or will be beautiful.

In my subdivision, there are many light gray homes, which I find boring. This color does nothing for bulky two story homes, either. Good for you looking for a distinctive look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 11:15 AM

17 posts, read 20,530 times
Sorry for all the typos early morning and to little coffee ��

Old 04-21-2017, 03:14 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,814,129 times
Not on the same road,especially if the house is close enough in style to be noticable.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:06 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
We had a tough time with our house colors, historic Spanish eclectic with traditional barrel tile roof. It was a very pale pink with tan trim - which actually wasn't bad but needed to be redone. It seems so obvious, creamy white with sage green trim for the windows- but GAWD- every damn Spanish around here- of which there are 1000s-seems to have the same tired, if appropriate color scheme so we had to come up with something different.

We stayed with the creamy white body but went with a pumpkin pie orange for the trim after trying literally a dozen different colors which really worked. Had a nice neighbor a few streets down with a Spanish (of course) knock on the door and ask what the colors were and we obliged- she added a sage green third color to her handsome house so it looks very different and because our houses are both 80-90 years old they are very unique to begin with.

Over the years we have noticed a few other historic Spanish buildings with this color combination which looks great and appropriate, but not many which is nice to have one of the rare ones.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:47 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
When we lived in UT, many years back it was funny, one person would paint their front door red and add a brass foot kick and by the end of the month every house pretty much was sporting it! Same with fences, window shutter, bird baths, porch swing , etc, etc! ... It was like a chain reaction! We live remote now..

Old 04-23-2017, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 471 times
I'd take it as a compliment! While I think it would be a bit odd to have a "neighbor" copy you to the exact tee, it proves that your house stands out on the block(which is the whole point correct?) . Maybe instead of giving them the exact details of your decor you could give them advice on how to spice up and make their house stand out.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:32 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
I have spent two months debating and looking at homes to see what is a good color combination. I just want to paint the trim . The house is sort of a yellow but not yellow. It is a Florida color yellow with a think is a tint of orange but not at all orange .. Now I am thinking of a reddish copper kind of color .. saw it on another home. I can always switch it out if I don't like it because it is only the trim.

I wish I would just have it done but still debating.. saw a light steel blue and liked that too.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:22 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenz709 View Post
I'd take it as a compliment! While I think it would be a bit odd to have a "neighbor" copy you to the exact tee, it proves that your house stands out on the block(which is the whole point correct?) . Maybe instead of giving them the exact details of your decor you could give them advice on how to spice up and make their house stand out.
Exactly. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. It would be ok with me as long as the house isn't on the same street/block. In our last subdivision, we had numerous people come and ask about specifics with our exterior. My wife did good with the colors/landscaping, etc.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:29 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I gave a lot of thought into our previous home's colors. I wanted a dark gray house with gleaming white trim. Matching black shudders. In a see of beige, ours stood out. But it was an impressive looking house nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating