Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have a special twinge in my heartstrings for old dining furniture. I imagine all the generations who sat at it, and conversations that happened around it.
I had to let mine go, though, because it just didn't fit anymore.

I have the same dilemma with the old China I drag from house to house but never use.
I have pieces of my mom's old china, and I want to get rid of most of it. I have kept a dinner and salad plate and a small platter. I've hung them in my home, and so even if I get rid of the all the rest, I have kept some few pieces as mementos of our Thanksgivings and Christmases around her table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 05:32 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have pieces of my mom's old china, and I want to get rid of most of it. I have kept a dinner and salad plate and a small platter. I've hung them in my home, and so even if I get rid of the all the rest, I have kept some few pieces as mementos of our Thanksgivings and Christmases around her table.

That's a good idea. I have some of my mother's china (not a complete set). It is in the pile to be sold but I just haven't had the heart to do so. Maybe I will keep just a few pieces.

Cat

Old 05-12-2017, 12:30 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
I mostly buy vintage furniture. Its well made (or at least the pieces I buy are) and it's very affordable. Especially casegoods, as long as you're not trying to buy something that's super trendy right now (read: Hot MidCentury; or genuine Chippendale..)..

I have my parent's 1950's dining room suite; Drexel. It was a style called Triennale and was a transitional style - not as linear as much mid century, but much less fussy than some earlier styles.

Additionally I have my parents 1950s drexel bedroom suite (cherry; very linear) and my mother's 1920's maple bedroom suite (turned legs, turned spindles)

as well as numerous other pieces (black king Baker Barbara Barry bed with cream leather headboard/footboard) ...

It all works fine. I suppose some people may be distressed that there is "different furniture" in different rooms, but that's their issue not mine. I use paint colors to keep the rooms unified, and the style is an overall eclectic/transitional one. I am not beholden to a specific style, but if I see something that I like and have a space for (at a great price) - I pick it up.

So, what I'm saying is - if you like the furniture, you can make it work. Even if it doesn't all match. Especially bedrooms... who wants every bedroom to be similar?

If however you don't *like* it, then find a new home for it. For me, my parents' dining room set is wonderful because the new tables are so wide they take up far too much of the dining room. Their much narrower table with multiple leaves (seats 8 comfortably when fully extended) is a much better fit for my rectangular room. And I have room for their china hutch and separate server without overwhelming the room.

I have gotten rid of some of their furniture, and I do pass up "old" pieces all the time. Its all about knowing your rooms/space and knowing what you can fit and how it will relate to your space.

best of luck whatever you decide..

Old 05-12-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
That's a good idea. I have some of my mother's china (not a complete set). It is in the pile to be sold but I just haven't had the heart to do so. Maybe I will keep just a few pieces.

Cat
There you go!

Old 05-12-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
I mostly buy vintage furniture. Its well made (or at least the pieces I buy are) and it's very affordable. Especially casegoods, as long as you're not trying to buy something that's super trendy right now (read: Hot MidCentury; or genuine Chippendale..)..

I have my parent's 1950's dining room suite; Drexel. It was a style called Triennale and was a transitional style - not as linear as much mid century, but much less fussy than some earlier styles.

Additionally I have my parents 1950s drexel bedroom suite (cherry; very linear) and my mother's 1920's maple bedroom suite (turned legs, turned spindles)

as well as numerous other pieces (black king Baker Barbara Barry bed with cream leather headboard/footboard) ...

It all works fine. I suppose some people may be distressed that there is "different furniture" in different rooms, but that's their issue not mine. I use paint colors to keep the rooms unified, and the style is an overall eclectic/transitional one. I am not beholden to a specific style, but if I see something that I like and have a space for (at a great price) - I pick it up.

So, what I'm saying is - if you like the furniture, you can make it work. Even if it doesn't all match. Especially bedrooms... who wants every bedroom to be similar?

If however you don't *like* it, then find a new home for it. For me, my parents' dining room set is wonderful because the new tables are so wide they take up far too much of the dining room. Their much narrower table with multiple leaves (seats 8 comfortably when fully extended) is a much better fit for my rectangular room. And I have room for their china hutch and separate server without overwhelming the room.

I have gotten rid of some of their furniture, and I do pass up "old" pieces all the time. Its all about knowing your rooms/space and knowing what you can fit and how it will relate to your space.

best of luck whatever you decide..
I imagine that your house is wonderful. I do agree that liking the stuff is key.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:34 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
I mix periods & styles of furniture all the time. I think color & rugs are what helps bring it all together. I use old Persian rugs.

If the dining chairs have upholstered seats, it is really easy to change that fabric. We have my husband's grandfather's dining room set. I've changed the seats for 3 different houses for 3 completely different uses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating