Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 09:23 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times

Advertisements

Definitely regional differences.

Around here, almost no one prefers a first floor master
In other parts of the country, its very desirable for some reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 09:56 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
How about the divide between those who want their house (especially kitchens and bathrooms) to be "up to date" versus those who don't care? Or are there enough people who don't feel the need to be stylish in the kitchen for it to matter?
Yes. I imagine there are those who will happily live in old kitchens and baths, whithout worry. And of course, there are so many of us who grow out of patience with old things.

I want to gently quibble about equating up-to-date with stylish though. Someone who changes a kitchen, might simply want better function by bringing the kitchen up to date, but not necessarily making it more stylish.

I think wanting to update is often drives changing the kitchen and bath, and possibly other things in a house. Updating might also increase the stylishness, but it would not have to. But often when changing things home owners are influenced by what is widely available which are generally things that are in style at that time.

But if something in a house does not work well, I think updating is in order if it can be done. I think bringing style into it is optional. But on this forum, we do like to talk about style, don't we? I think how we care for and decorate our homes is extremely interesting.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:18 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
popcorn ceilings. I don't know as anyone would put it in now but there seems to be a division between the 'get rid of it' crowd and the 'it's there-it's not bad enough to go to the expense of getting rid of it' crowd. (I belong to the latter)
I think most people belong to the latter. No one wants it done anymore, but it's way too expensive to remove it if you already have it.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:04 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Apparently there is a sizeable contingent of people who hate subway tiles because of their name and cannot get past that.
Others really like them.
I'm one of them, but not because of the name. It's because the room ends up looking like the subway stations in NYC, and that's NOT a relaxed, inviting atmosphere to me. It just reminds me every time of loud, agitated, gritty, stinky world that is the NYC subway system.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:27 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I'm one of them, but not because of the name. It's because the room ends up looking like the subway stations in NYC, and that's NOT a relaxed, inviting atmosphere to me. It just reminds me every time of loud, agitated, gritty, stinky world that is the NYC subway system.
Hmmm. Maybe sometimes, if overdone and on every surface, but not always. I actually kind of like this one:

But this one, not so much:

I'm probably going to do subway tile in my kitchen remodel, but only as a backsplash and it's only about a foot tall in most places, so it won't be overpowering like an actual subway station.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:59 PM

I love subway tiles, because they are clean lines, and simple, and oh-so-easy to keep clean. I will definitely be using them in my kitchen.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:32 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
The only divide that matters is: what I like, vs. what everyone else might like.

Because if I like it, I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Hmmm. Maybe sometimes, if overdone and on every surface, but not always. I actually kind of like this one:

But this one, not so much:

I'm probably going to do subway tile in my kitchen remodel, but only as a backsplash and it's only about a foot tall in most places, so it won't be overpowering like an actual subway station.
I like the subway tile used as a backsplash.

I was interested in using it when we had our shower redone, but was steered to larger porcelain tile because there would be less grouting. I guess, they didn't want to do an entire 10' tall shower with those smaller tiles.

I think we made the right decision for our circumstances. The larger tile looks great in the space and I don't regret choosing it.

But, I would be overjoyed to get new subway tile added to the space between counter and upper cabs in my kitchen. I have large porcelain tile there that matches the counter, and I'd love smaller and more visually interesting tile instead.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:04 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
Tiffer E38, lighting and color balance are the key to those tiles. Your first pic is actually very appealing due to those things. The second pic looks like something out of an institution.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
How about the divide between those who want their house (especially kitchens and bathrooms) to be "up to date" versus those who don't care? Or are there enough people who don't feel the need to be stylish in the kitchen for it to matter?
LOL. I don't think there is much of a divide on that issue. I have read several of your posts now where you are expressing your annoyance at people's desire to update their homes. Do you also prefer 20 year old clothing? Old cars (without any updates)? If so you are in a very small minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating