Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 06:33 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times

Advertisements

While we were house hunting I noticed several houses had stained glass in the window next to a jacuzzi tub. Or maybe it was a vinyl piece with a "stained glass" look?

Not sure because I didn't take that close of a look, but whatever they were I thought they looked cool.

Any suggestions where to buy something like that? Also, do they work well (as far as keeping the neighbors from seeing your nekkid bod?) Are there any problems using these windows that we should know about?

We are big fans of using a jacuzzi, and use it most nights, so it's worth having a cool-looking window as long as steam etc. doesn't cause a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 07:25 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Real stained glass wouldn't care (from a function standpoint), though if you're a clean-freak and it has to look Perfect, you might get frustrated with the cleaning chores. Steam is going to make all the towel lint, that's inherent in bathrooms, stick like crazy and cleaning a real stained glass piece takes some effort else you just push the stuff into the seams. I would suggest a Foiled piece over a Leaded piece (how they're assembled) in that particular instance just due to durability when handling/cleaning.

For the stick-on stuff, Normally it's a full sheet of plastic and you can simply spray it with cleaner and wipe it off, the same as any normal window (or any other window film, like tinted windows in a car). I have a multi-piece static-cling style on my front door, it's somewhere between honest stained glass and a full sheet.

As for hiding yourself, it doesn't take much to obscure and everyone will have a different level of comfort. Step outside and look from the fence where you're thinking others Might look. Typically, as long as it's lighter Outside than it is Inside, even normal glass is pretty hard to see into at any angle other than dead on straight. I know of a few homes with windows in the showers where they simply added a light tint (more reflective than anything) and have an outside accent light that shines on that window which completely obscures everything behind it. Shocking idea to shower infront of a window, but nearly impossible to see in fro the outside (I was only able to by getting right on the window and using a high power flashlight.... architect made the suggestion, wife didn't feel comfortable so he asked us to see for ourselves ~ not like I was peeping... heh).

Old 05-31-2017, 08:51 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
I don't know about "stained glass"- but "leaded glass" inserts are pretty common additions to bath windows over a garden tub.

Decorative? Yes. Do they meet code? No. Are they that opaque? No. Is vinyl a better and safer alternative? You betcha!

Old 05-31-2017, 09:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
You can have an artist make a stained glass panel that fits inside the frame of a normal, dual pane window. I have made several of those. You can also get dual pane custom made (and to code) stained glass windows now, but they will cost a lot. The stained glass is sandwiched between the two sealed clear sheets. Last time I made a custom panel about 8 years ago I charged $200/sf for simple pattern with inexpensive glass. Some of the nicer textured stained glass costs 100/sf wholesale.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:04 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
My husband's business was stained glass restoration, so we used quite a bit of it in our house, including over the Jacuzzi. We popped out the removable muntins in the window and inset the sg panel, fastening it with some kind of little brads or pins.

We tended to get mold trying to form around the edges of the window, since moisture got trapped behind it.

My advice is to hang a panel in front of your window, instead of mounting it in the window frame. You will want the frame of the panel to be something other than lead, like zinc, otherwise it will sag.

Here is a panel we have hanging in our present house. The frame is zinc.

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-24-2020 at 07:07 AM..

Old 06-01-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My husband's business was stained glass restoration, so we used quite a bit of it in our house, including over the Jacuzzi. We popped out the removable muntins in the window and inset the sg panel, fastening it with some kind of little brads or pins.

We tended to get mold trying to form around the edges of the window, since moisture got trapped behind it.

My advice is to hang a panel in front of your window, instead of mounting it in the window frame. You will want the frame of the panel to be something other than lead, like zinc, otherwise it will sag.

Here is a panel we have hanging in our present house. The frame is zinc.
I like the idea of hanging it in front of the window. I guess if we hang it really close, there isn't much space for the neighbors to see me naked. Not that my senior citizen bod is going to be attracting much in the way of peeping toms, LOL. I just don't want to give anyone a heart attack.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:42 AM

I think you guys are right about the practicality of vinyl (even though an actual glass window is classy). There would be less moisture issues, too.

I stopped by Lowe's and looked at some window clings. They were pretty, but I think we want something more 3-dimensional. Something that actually looks like leaded glass.

There are a few I've seen online that look great, but I'm a little nervous to buy something like this over the internet. Anyone have experience buying such a thing online? Can you recommend a site? Wayfair had a few, do they tend to have good merchandise?

Old 06-01-2017, 03:56 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,923,786 times
OH dear you hooked me on this one. I am doing this to many windows around my house. I dump shopped or go to restore store and buy used aluminum windows the size you need. Not too large or they get too heave. A good window is the loose one from a storm door because a good one is tempered.

Then you can find pretty dishes ans those glass globs and anything else glassy to use that is fairly flat and glue them on with silicone. GeII or some thing similar in the clear. I usually place my pieces fairly close and fill in with textured glass between the dishes. One thing on the framed windows is you need to pop rivet the corners because they are usually tabbed together and the tabs will just pull out with the weight of all of it. When you drill the holes for the rivets be careful not to hit the glass.

This is done on a smaller window from maybe a camper or who knows. Again dump shopped so I really have no idea. You can also hang two windows together to fill the space you need . Well sorry this is a double one I can not find the photo of the other.
Attached Thumbnails
Stained glass in the window next to a jacuzzi tub-6-26-16-lizzzie-hung-cropped  

Old 06-01-2017, 03:59 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,923,786 times
And I did this directly on the side door windows with dishes and scrap glass. Not in the bathroom so less chance of mold. Good point there gentlearts.
Attached Thumbnails
Stained glass in the window next to a jacuzzi tub-3-19-17-laundry-room-door  

Old 06-02-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
OH dear you hooked me on this one. I am doing this to many windows around my house. I dump shopped or go to restore store and buy used aluminum windows the size you need. Not too large or they get too heave. A good window is the loose one from a storm door because a good one is tempered.

Then you can find pretty dishes ans those glass globs and anything else glassy to use that is fairly flat and glue them on with silicone. GeII or some thing similar in the clear. I usually place my pieces fairly close and fill in with textured glass between the dishes. One thing on the framed windows is you need to pop rivet the corners because they are usually tabbed together and the tabs will just pull out with the weight of all of it. When you drill the holes for the rivets be careful not to hit the glass.

This is done on a smaller window from maybe a camper or who knows. Again dump shopped so I really have no idea. You can also hang two windows together to fill the space you need . Well sorry this is a double one I can not find the photo of the other.
What an interesting idea! Your artwork is lovely. I wonder how something like that would hold up to shower steam?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating