Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 06:45 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
You have done so well with the project so far. I'd hate to see bad advice ruin it.

The guys who install tile, pushed for the darker tile because they were not looking at the overall effect. They are only looking at the granite and dark tile up close and they like it. But if you back away and look at the overall picture, that dark tile will create a busy narrow strip of darkness around the kitchen. It won't relate to anything and will look like an amateur did it.

Typically, if you choose a back splash to be the eye-catching element, it works best when there are few upper cabinets and the back splash takes up a lot of wall space. With lots of uppers, a dramatic back splash looks like a disruptive stripe.

Any designer will advise to only have one eye-catching element per kitchen. The dark tiles will compete for attention because they will be sandwiched in between light upper cabinets and patterned granite. That would give the eye THREE very different things to look at all bunched together.

Not to mention that kitchens already look busy by nature with all the appliances and stuff on counters.
Thanks for articulating it so well. It is something that I "felt" inside but couldn't quite describe. Then the granite people threw me for a loop when I mentioned doing some sort of soft white tile. Unfortunately, they said this in front of my husband who normally never has an opinion...and now he wants to have one over the tile after listening to them.

But I am going to show him your thoughts on this. I think you may be spot on. That just leaves me with going back to the tile store. I want to find a soft "tumbled" white that doesn't have any pattern. Didn't see much of that at the tile store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 07:00 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Great job on your cabinets and your floor looks really nice. Personally I'm not a granite fan....My daughter has had granite many times....I think it is too picky for everyday use....I prefer the counter tops that you have....they go well....if you are looking for some color and/or pizazz why not do a back splash in the new glass tiles....and leave the counter tops alone. Links below.

If you are set on choosing one of the samples in your pic....I'd go with the off white, 3rd in from the frig. Or the similar one stacked on counter, under the grey, near the toaster. I personally would stay with warm tones and never choose stark tones or black for that kitchen....You could do white which would make your cabinets and floor pop.

I also am not sure why you left the doors off your cupboards? If intentional? I would not like that look.

Another idea. Spend a little more on a top on the island/breakfast bar counter....And leave the rest alone, or go with a less expensive complementary match.....and emphasize the breakfast counter top.

Great job overall...Congrats!

Kitchen Backsplash | Backsplash Tile | TileBar.com

https://www.houzz.com/photos/2316027...ry-mosaic-tile

Last edited by JanND; 07-31-2017 at 07:20 AM..

Old 07-31-2017, 08:31 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,748 times
Not sure if you'll like this, but I'm building a house now, and for the budget options, for my white kitchen, I went with Shaw Contempo Gulf 6x6 in a brick subway pattern. I would have went with a lighter gray if it was a free option.

It seems like the builder's warm whites are saturating out the cabinets and backsplash, but I intend on swapping it out for whiter bulbs

Old 07-31-2017, 08:39 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Wow! nice work and thanks for all the photos. These are helpful to me, too, as I plan my kitchen remodel.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:39 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
jhtrico1850: is that tile a light gray? It looks like it in the photo.

Just curious on your colors: you walls look an awful lot like mine. What color are you using? Are the countertop Luna Pearl or Cotton White?

Old 07-31-2017, 08:53 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,698,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Great job on your cabinets and your floor looks really nice. Personally I'm not a granite fan....My daughter has had granite many times....I think it is too picky for everyday use....I prefer the counter tops that you have....they go well....if you are looking for some color and/or pizazz why not do a back splash in the new glass tiles....and leave the counter tops alone. Links below.

If you are set on choosing one of the samples in your pic....I'd go with the off white, 3rd in from the frig. Or the similar one stacked on counter, under the grey, near the toaster. I personally would stay with warm tones and never choose stark tones or black for that kitchen....You could do white which would make your cabinets and floor pop.

I also am not sure why you left the doors off your cupboards? If intentional? I would not like that look.

Another idea. Spend a little more on a top on the island/breakfast bar counter....And leave the rest alone, or go with a less expensive complementary match.....and emphasize the breakfast counter top.

Great job overall...Congrats!

Kitchen Backsplash | Backsplash Tile | TileBar.com

https://www.houzz.com/photos/2316027...ry-mosaic-tile
OP has already completed the counter tops (post #97 and #98) and is now working on the back splash.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
jhtrico1850: is that tile a light gray? It looks like it in the photo.

Just curious on your colors: you walls look an awful lot like mine. What color are you using? Are the countertop Luna Pearl or Cotton White?
Paint is Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray. It looks gray with natural sunlight, and yellowy beige with the builder's supplied bulbs. Kind of wish I went for a lighter color now, like a creamy white.

Countertops is salt and pepper granite.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...ngColors&p=PS0

Old 07-31-2017, 09:19 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

Thanks for articulating it so well. It is something that I "felt" inside but couldn't quite describe. Then the granite people threw me for a loop when I mentioned doing some sort of soft white tile. Unfortunately, they said this in front of my husband who normally never has an opinion...and now he wants to have one over the tile after listening to them.
The lighter tile on the right in your photo seems to work great. A tile that's the lightest color in the granite would be the only other good choice.

Never listen to anyone just because they install granite for a living!!! You have no idea if this person has any design sense or not.

The tile installer told the owner of this kitchen that she should not tear out the expensive stone back splash and put up less expensive plain cream subway tiles.

She told him to just do it and now it looks like this. Should she have listened to his advice? NO!

Reference: My Sister's Fresh New Backsplash: Before & After - Maria Killam - The True Colour Expert

Old 07-31-2017, 09:21 AM

Also, the tile is Shaw Contempo Gulf. Not sure if anyone besides a builder can get it, but I bet you can find something similar at the home improvement store.

https://shawfloors.com/flooring/tile...x13-cs85l/gulf

Old 07-31-2017, 09:28 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Two more photos of the kitchen where the tile installer didn't want to change the back splash.

BEFORE

AFTER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating