Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 01:24 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

We have a lot of places here where you can go and pick out your individual slab. I wouldn't buy granite without being able to do that, since there is so much variation between slabs.

OP, glad you found something you like and looking forward to seeing photos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 09:40 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
My mother has the brown pattern granite and she hates it. Says she can't see anything on it. A while ago we all had an ant problem because of the extremely dry conditions. They were all over the counters but we didn't even realize it until we happened to see one moving. I guess she has a point and I am leaning toward white cabinets with a white/gray/turquoise granite. I don't want anything too busy that I will get tired of looking at. I'll save the color and contract for the backsplash or in my accessories.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:44 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Definitely think you should keep to a "warm" palette, your floors are too prominent and would be seen right up against the countertops from some angles. I love your floors so wouldn't have a problem with that myself at all.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:14 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My mother has the brown pattern granite and she hates it. Says she can't see anything on it. A while ago we all had an ant problem because of the extremely dry conditions. They were all over the counters but we didn't even realize it until we happened to see one moving. I guess she has a point and I am leaning toward white cabinets with a white/gray/turquoise granite. I don't want anything too busy that I will get tired of looking at. I'll save the color and contract for the backsplash or in my accessories.
I thought all patterned granite was that way. This is my first house with granite (a creamy color, similar to the Giallo Ornamental mentioned here) and I really dislike how you cannot see what is on the countertop until you touch it. Drives both of us crazy.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:30 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,979 times
I'm building a house with white cabinets and was deciding between Verde Butterfly (green black) and salt and pepper as level 1 options. Glad I went with Salt and Pepper. Lighter colors are trending.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:18 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Default Decision Made!

Finally, I have made my decision.

The granite company came by last night to measure. He brought two samples for me: Delicatus White ($50 per sq. ft. installed, usually $80) and Iced White ($40 per sq ft. installed, usually $80).

Again, there was something I liked about each one. The Iced White is really very pretty but, as I posted earlier, it's got these "butter" colored blotches in it. They are very pretty actually, but in some areas there are huge swaths of them. They can be as large as your fist and they bunch up in certain areas. My thought while in the shop was that in some places it can be a bit much. He had told me he could cut some of them out while cutting the granite. But when he got to my house he said that the way my kitchen is laid out prevented him being able to work some of the yellow out. He then recommended Iced White based on the pattern and my layout, so that was a good thing.

Of course he's ready to go next week but I'm not.

If you'll note on some of the first pictures I posted, I have a "desk" in the kitchen. Totally useless space and I've been lately shoving my trash can and dog bowls under it. I've decided to pull those base cabinets out and buy some Ikea base cabinets (I know, they aren't great) and paint them to match my same paint. The base cabinets at Ikea are similar enough to my own base cabinets that I think it will be fine. I'm buying a large pullout drawer that holds two 14 gallon trash bins so I will finally have a place for my trash can. Then I can put in another organizing drawer unit next to it. These cabinets will also be a few inches taller than the desk I have so the countertop will be even with my regular countertop now. I have to get all that done before the countertops can be installed. I'm pretty excited about this portion of it because I have HATED that area for over 20 years.

Anyway, I will definitely post pics of the finished product and I really want to thank everyone for taking the time to hash this out with me. It was really helpful.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:05 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

The granite company came by last night to measure. He brought two samples for me: Delicatus White ($50 per sq. ft. installed, usually $80) and Iced White ($40 per sq ft. installed, usually $80).

Again, there was something I liked about each one. The Iced White is really very pretty but, as I posted earlier, it's got these "butter" colored blotches in it. They are very pretty actually, but in some areas there are huge swaths of them. They can be as large as your fist and they bunch up in certain areas. My thought while in the shop was that in some places it can be a bit much. He had told me he could cut some of them out while cutting the granite. But when he got to my house he said that the way my kitchen is laid out prevented him being able to work some of the yellow out. He then recommended Iced White based on the pattern and my layout, so that was a good thing.

If you'll note on some of the first pictures I posted, I have a "desk" in the kitchen. Totally useless space and I've been lately shoving my trash can and dog bowls under it. I've decided to pull those base cabinets out and buy some Ikea base cabinets (I know, they aren't great) and paint them to match my same paint. The base cabinets at Ikea are similar enough to my own base cabinets that I think it will be fine. I'm buying a large pullout drawer that holds two 14 gallon trash bins so I will finally have a place for my trash can. Then I can put in another organizing drawer unit next to it. These cabinets will also be a few inches taller than the desk I have so the countertop will be even with my regular countertop now. I have to get all that done before the countertops can be installed. I'm pretty excited about this portion of it because I have HATED that area for over 20 years.

Anyway, I will definitely post pics of the finished product and I really want to thank everyone for taking the time to hash this out with me. It was really helpful.
I bet it feels wonderful finally having that decision done! I look forward to your pictures.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:20 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Congrats on picking your granite!

My mom has a desk in her kitchen like that, but she actually uses it as a desk. It would definitely be annoying to have it as wasted space if you didn't use it that way.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:10 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

Great to watch this project coming along. Love the notes about the desk. We have a desk in our kitchen that we've never used as a desk, too. This might make a great topic on its own! Hope you don't mind, but I think I'll start one.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:25 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
We have a lot of places here where you can go and pick out your individual slab. I wouldn't buy granite without being able to do that, since there is so much variation between slabs.

OP, glad you found something you like and looking forward to seeing photos!
Oh you can pick your slab here too. In fact you have to. You just have to have the yard send your selection(s) to the fabricator, to find out the price. They will give you price level, A-E, but that's all you have to go by until your fabricator calls you with the quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating