Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 06:25 AM

496 posts, read 409,975 times

Advertisements

My mom loved color,clutter and plants. She redecorated fairly often and was constantly collecting things. Her style overall was some variation of country although her last kitchen redo was sort of Mediterranean.

I love color and have eclectic tastes, but I do not care for clutter at all. That being said, right now my life feels exhausting and chaotic and I am preparing to paint the living room off white, which is totally out of character for me. Maybe it will soothe me lol.

So, our tastes are similar in that I love color and plants, but differ in the amount of clutter and knick knacks and the fact that I have not liked country style decorating since the late 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 10:45 AM

13,441 posts, read 15,411,159 times
My mom has impeccable taste, I'd be fortunate to borrow some things from her.

I'm more "out there" than her, though. I like lots of color. I'm more transitional, she's firmly contemporary. We do borrow ideas from each other though and tend to shop at the same places. She's definitely not in the "grandma's taste" category, unlike the previous owners of our house. Still trying to reverse some of their choices.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:05 AM

18,408 posts, read 31,532,830 times
blech !!!! I absolutely hate my mothers taste with a passion. Growing up ( 70, 80's)is wasnt too bad, because I used to influence her, but now that she is an old lady and I have been gone for decades, yuck.
I hate her taste in everything.

me and my sister just roll out eyes and think, omg horrible.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:21 AM

50,178 posts, read 63,623,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
blech !!!! I absolutely hate my mothers taste with a passion. Growing up ( 70, 80's)is wasnt too bad, because I used to influence her, but now that she is an old lady and I have been gone for decades, yuck.
I hate her taste in everything.

me and my sister just roll out eyes and think, omg horrible.
Like Oprah said once, a person wouldn't want to still have the same hairstyle as they had in the 1980s, so their house shouldn't be stuck there either.

My sister has a husband who thinks, since they decorated every room in their house when they built it 35 years ago, there is no need to ever redo anything. I'd have to kill him.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:07 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,823,061 times
My moms decorating is ugly. Nothing changes. Everything the same colors. You cant sit on anything or use anything. " i have this living room but you cant touch anything".

Old 06-26-2017, 12:48 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,018,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Just posting about my mom's kitchen cabinets I got to thinking about how she influenced my own choices in decorating.

Basically we were the exact opposite. Where she wanted big furniture and recliners, I love smaller pieces that are less visually heavy and wouldn't let a Lazy Boy past my threshold. She adored her dark wood custom kitchen and I am a white cabinet only person. She insisted on wall to wall carpet and I won't live in a house without hardwood even in the bedrooms. And her bedroom and living room furniture all matched and came as a set (nice sets, high quality). I adore eclectic pieces where I can hunt for each perfect one.

There is nothing wrong with how my mom decorated, but I definitely did not adopt her style. One of my siblings is much more similar to mom's taste than I.

Are you and your mom on the same page or not even in the same ballpark when it comes to decorating?
My mom and I have similar taste. So much so that it is often that I will buy something new, walk in her house and she also found the same thing in her travels.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:12 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,483,550 times
I think my whole family has some sort of impairment when it comes to decorating. Not kidding, I don't know ONE blood relative that has a nicely decorated house

We're very clean and neat and into maintenance and all that.

But decorating? Renovating? Nope nope nope.

Unfortunately I am in that category as well.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:28 PM

14,709 posts, read 8,034,142 times
We have totally opposite tastes.
My Son and I also have totally different taste.
What's that old saying....One man's trash is another Man's treasure?

Old 06-26-2017, 01:41 PM

50,178 posts, read 63,623,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
We have totally opposite tastes.
My Son and I also have totally different taste.
What's that old saying....One man's trash is another Man's treasure?
I'm going out on a limb here to say I'm a mother with great taste. I have 3 grown children. My daughter's taste is nothing like mine, and one son's isn't either. They don't have any....son doesn't care, and daughter's house looks like the inside of a gypsy wagon.

My young son has definite taste preferences that are rather like mine. In fact he can be even more particular. One time when he was in high school, I had a weak moment at Hobby Lobby and brought home some silk flowers. He told me he thought they looked tacky, and that I should take them back to the store. So I did.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Like Oprah said once, a person wouldn't want to still have the same hairstyle as they had in the 1980s, so their house shouldn't be stuck there either.

My sister has a husband who thinks, since they decorated every room in their house when they built it 35 years ago, there is no need to ever redo anything. I'd have to kill him.
I was born in the 70's and lived in a neighborhood built in the 70's. I remember all the formal living rooms, impeccably decorated in the 70's, and never touched again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating