Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 04:09 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
That is a good sized room so you have a lot to work with. You could always do a set up like this with a very simple (see through) headboard or just don't have a headboard at all and then widen that window with shears and cute nightstands.

Or do a short headboard using reclaimed wood similar to this to make it more of a rustic coastal or farmhouse look:

Is anyone in your home handy/creative? There are fairly simple ways to make headboards from either just wood and some paint or stain, or using some cloth and a staple gun. That way you can get exactly what you want to meet your needs. Here are some ideas and tutorials:
https://www.google.com/search?q=shor...ke+a+headboard

Or something like this headboard which is sleek and streamlined, yet elegant and then do more color in the artwork, bedding, etc:
https://www.houzz.com/photos/3569980...ary-headboards
LOVE that first bed. So very much my style. Something like that wouldn't impede the windows at all because only the edge of each bed would be in front of the window. Hmm, saving this one for the idea folder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 05:16 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
LOVE that first bed. So very much my style. Something like that wouldn't impede the windows at all because only the edge of each bed would be in front of the window. Hmm, saving this one for the idea folder.
Oh, I thought only 1 bed was going in front of the window. Okay, well, 2 beds there would work as well. I was picturing one bed in front of the window and another bed on another wall which I would think would work as well being that that room is plenty large enough and then also adding a bureau/dresser and nightstands as well.

And yes, I love that first photo also

Is the window on the shorter wall or the longer one?

Old 07-12-2017, 06:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
First, very pretty bed. Second, that looks nice. Do you have any issues if you want to open/close the blinds?
Thank you, and no, no issues at all. You can't tell it but the bed sits about 2 inches out from the windows. You have the room to do that in your space as well.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Oh, I thought only 1 bed was going in front of the window. Okay, well, 2 beds there would work as well. I was picturing one bed in front of the window and another bed on another wall which I would think would work as well being that that room is plenty large enough and then also adding a bureau/dresser and nightstands as well.

And yes, I love that first photo also

Is the window on the shorter wall or the longer one?
Ah, was assuming you were going off Kathryn's suggestion of having both beds on the wall with the double window. I've tried the two beds in there in separate walls and it looks...odd. I can't seem to make it work where it doesn't look off because some of the furniture ends up being too close together and it leaves large areas with nothing. Hard to describe. Since I have no impending guests, I'm back to clean slate trying to figure out what to do.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you, and no, no issues at all. You can't tell it but the bed sits about 2 inches out from the windows. You have the room to do that in your space as well.
I would prefer to have two full sized beds in there at least. I was thinking I may have to do one full sized and a day bed of sorts to make it work.

Obviously the space is there, it's the balance and aesthetics which is giving me heartburn. I think my OCD tendencies demands a certain amount of symmetry.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:02 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Some food for thought is that full beds do not sleep 2 adults comfortably at all. But for 2 children it would fine. A full bed is approx 54" wide (or 4.5') which is only about 16" wider than a twin bed. So I guess it all depends on who most of your guests will be or if it is a mixture of adults and children. If it is mostly adult couples then I personally would not have the 2 full beds in there.

If it is mostly adult couples that will be staying you could always go with a queen bed on the window wall and then also have a queen sleeper sofa in there to use as needed so the room won't look so cluttered/crowded, if you believe it might be. A daybed would work as well but less sleeping space.

Here are mattress/bed sizes so you can figure how much space they will take up in that room:
http://www.sleeptrain.com/mattress-s...ize-chart.html

Oh, and again, which wall has the window? Longer or shorter wall?

Oh wait, I see now that the room itself without the closet measurement is only 15' 6" x 15'. I was looking at only the 17' 10" x 15' in the middle of your diagram. My bad.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 07-12-2017 at 08:19 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 08:09 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Quote:
So, the new house has a guest house. It's only a one bedroom but I need to put two beds in there given my usual guests. I already own a new full sized mattress set so that would be at least one of the beds. Beyond that, I have a small bureau but even it can be replaced. I need help given the room dimensions, shape, etc on how to best place furniture in this room which can accomplish the goal of having more than one bed but not look too crowded or odd and to be able to fit a small bureau at least.

Here's the floor plan. The door next to the closet goes to the bathroom and the other door goes out to the living area.

This is a photo which doesn't show much but gives you an idea at least.

If you're wondering, my style is farmhouse and coastal. I love white and white with a side of white.
Quote:
Some food for thought is that full beds do not sleep 2 adults comfortably at all. But for 2 children it would fine. A full bed is approx 54" wide (or 4.5') which is only about 16" wider than a twin bed. So I guess it all depends on who most of your guests will be or if it is a mixture of adults and children. If it is mostly adult couples then I personally would not have the 2 full beds in there.

If it is mostly adult couples that will be staying you could always go with a queen bed on the window wall and then also have a queen sleeper sofa in there to use as needed so the room won't look so cluttered/crowded, if you believe it might be. A daybed would work as well but less sleeping space.

Looking at the diagram on the first post, it looks like the short wall has the centered window. On the longer wall, there is a window towards the corner which is directly opposite the door leading into the room from the living spaces.

Adding link to the first post: Guest house space planning help

Old 07-12-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:

Both have windows but the shorter wall has a double sized window and the longer wall has a single sized window right next to the closet. The walls are almost the same length though - just doors and window placements create furniture placement issues. The floor plan for the room is in my first post.

I'm a bit stuck with at least one full sized bed as I have a new rather expensive mattress set. I need two beds in the room, one already slated to be full sized. The other could be another full size or even a twin.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:20 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
I would put two full sized beds centered on the wall with the double window if possible, with one small chest of drawers between them. No footboards, only headboards. One lamp on the chest of drawers.
Love this idea. In fact, I think if you definitely want/need 2 beds in there, it's the ONLY way you could do it -- your floor plan really doesn't allow for the beds to go anywhere else.

I did a quick google search for "beds in front of windows" and got a zillion hits. This image was one of them:

Obviously this isn't exactly the look you're going for since your beds will only partially cover your large window, but hopefully you get the idea. (I actually LOVE this look!!)

Quote:
Beside the door to the living room, to the right of it as you face the door, I would put one really cute wooden chair - something really interestingly shaped, maybe with a small cushion propped up against the back. People often need to sit somewhere to put shoes on or whatever. I would hang a tall, full length mirror beside the chair or on the back of the door to the bathroom.
Nice idea to put a chair there but I don't think it would fit unless she goes with a REALLY small chest or table in between the beds (which I think would actually look fine, but it might not give her the space she needs for the guests to unpack etc.). Full-size beds are 4.5' each; that's 9' right there, plus a few inches between each bed and the small chest. Even a 2' chest with 6" of space between it and each bed leaves only 3' on the 15' wall, 1.5' on each side. A small chair might fit next to the bed but I suspect it would look really crowded. (And for putting on shoes, the guests can sit on the bed, no? )

Quote:
I would keep everything quiet, symmetrical, etc. Complementing framed art above each bed. Similar throws or quilts folded at the foot of each bed. One similar throw pillow on each bed. I think it would be fun, clean and simple to go for a European duvet look on the beds.

You could paint the chair and small chest of drawers to complement the headboards. Or keep all of them in a similar wood finish.

I would go very, very sparse on the furniture and accessories but everything in there would be charming - for instance, not a big lamp but a charming lamp.

You can fill the top drawer of the chest of drawers with "guest room" items.
Love all of this! And KA, your master bedroom -- WOW, that is beautiful, and looks SO restful. Wish mine looked half as good, although you have inspired me to work on it!!

Old 07-12-2017, 08:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Love this idea. In fact, I think if you definitely want/need 2 beds in there, it's the ONLY way you could do it -- your floor plan really doesn't allow for the beds to go anywhere else.

I did a quick google search for "beds in front of windows" and got a zillion hits. This image was one of them:

Obviously this isn't exactly the look you're going for since your beds will only partially cover your large window, but hopefully you get the idea. (I actually LOVE this look!!)

Nice idea to put a chair there but I don't think it would fit unless she goes with a REALLY small chest or table in between the beds (which I think would actually look fine, but it might not give her the space she needs for the guests to unpack etc.). Full-size beds are 4.5' each; that's 9' right there, plus a few inches between each bed and the small chest. Even a 2' chest with 6" of space between it and each bed leaves only 3' on the 15' wall, 1.5' on each side. A small chair might fit next to the bed but I suspect it would look really crowded. (And for putting on shoes, the guests can sit on the bed, no? )

Love all of this! And KA, your master bedroom -- WOW, that is beautiful, and looks SO restful. Wish mine looked half as good, although you have inspired me to work on it!!
LOL thank you! I have a lot of riotous color throughout my house but I have to have a quiet, peaceful look and feel in the master.

I probably wasn't clear about the chair. I didn't mean to put it on the wall with the beds and chest and double window. I meant to put it on the wall next to the doorway leading to the living area (same wall as the closet but across the doorway, to the right of the doorway). That might work.

That's a great picture - I love the look of two beds near each other with a chest in between, for a guest room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating