Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:24 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,022 times

Advertisements

I never liked puddled drapes, I thought it was a waste of fabric. Actually, I prefer blinds to drapes, period! My votes are with the majority of those that voted, #A on both.

I'll also say the rules are fine up to a point. Then it's the personality of the homeowners that comes into play. A space needs to be personalized otherwise it's an architectural digest photo shoot AND not a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 02:06 PM

139 posts, read 129,747 times
got to wonder who writes this stuff. the only rules to interior design are building codes and regulations that concern people's safety and welfare.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:20 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Puddled drapes were a thing a few years ago, but I haven't seen them in the design mags or TV shows in quite awhile. If anything, the drapery panels look shorter than I think they should be.

I know the designers don't like the furniture all up against the walls. When I furnished my condo 10 years ago, I just placed the sofa and loveseat against the long and short walls, with an easy chair/ottoman angled in the corner next to the sofa. My neighbor has the same layout, but took her designer friend's advice to pull the loveseat out from the wall...I think maybe she has a big palm or something behind it. Can't believe how much smaller it makes the room look! I'll take my non-designer layout.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:50 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Nice post! I don't like a big rug underneath the bed. Can somebody explain the appeal?

Old 07-20-2017, 06:49 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Nice post! I don't like a big rug underneath the bed. Can somebody explain the appeal?
Maximum dust collection, maybe? I know how much dust I get from under the bed when I go under there with a vacuum on my hard surface floor. Having a rug under there sounds pretty disgusting.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Puddled drapes were a thing a few years ago, but I haven't seen them in the design mags or TV shows in quite awhile. If anything, the drapery panels look shorter than I think they should be.
So the idea is to drag the drapes on the floor? Sounds like a great way for the bottom few inches of the draperies to be filthy in short order. In other words, a stupid idea.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post

I know the designers don't like the furniture all up against the walls. When I furnished my condo 10 years ago, I just placed the sofa and loveseat against the long and short walls, with an easy chair/ottoman angled in the corner next to the sofa. My neighbor has the same layout, but took her designer friend's advice to pull the loveseat out from the wall...I think maybe she has a big palm or something behind it. Can't believe how much smaller it makes the room look! I'll take my non-designer layout.
What looks good in a magazine photo doesn't necessarily look good or function in reality. However, **IMPORTANT** the purpose of those magazines is NOT to give you information on how to lay out and decorate your rooms. Remember that "interior design" magazines are a delivery device for advertising. The purpose of the magazines is to induce you to buy the items being advertised by the companies who are buying ads in the magazines. That is all.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:43 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Glad to see other people don't car for leaning artwork. That's always looked odd to me. Plus pets and kids can knock them over way too easily.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:31 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I think the appeal is less about the part of the rug under the bed and more about having it stick out so that even if you have a hardwood floor in the bedroom, when you get out of bed, you are stepping on to a rug. Having part of it under the bed is just a necessary feature of having the rest of the rug surrounding the bed.

This is another good illustration on rug size and furniture placement. I think it's fine for someone to do whatever they want, but I personally find it more visually pleasing when furniture is mostly on the rug with just the back legs off of it, and that applies in the bedroom as well.

How To Arrange An Area Rug - Safavieh.com

Old 07-20-2017, 06:46 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,022 times
Re: The rug

I can see a rug under a bed or by a bed so your not stepping on a cold floor as you get out of bed. And for some getting out of bed onto any floor other than carpet means possibly slipping, losing your balance, and a fall. I'd think those are the two reasons to have any sort of carpet/rug in the bedroom. That and it absorbs sound.

I agree with the rug being anchored by furniture. The weight holds the rug in place so it's not shifting around (My dogs prove me wrong!) (Especially after a nice chase game!) and it ties the grouping together. Especially in a living room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating