Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:49 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I disagree. I think it is an aspect of advertising and consumerism, not an aspect of human nature. The whole purpose of advertising and marketing of consumer goods is to make us dissatisfied with what we have now. Why? $$$$$$$, that's why.

If you look at traditional societies you will see that "style" (whatever that is) changes very slowly. Things, practices, thought patterns, beliefs are retained, in many cases long past their usefulness.

I am not arguing that we should go back to the Neolithic, but I am arguing that as inhabitants of the modern world we have a CHOICE. We should not blindly accept the dictates of advertisers and marketeers as actual needs or requirements.
So true - years ago when people bought a house it stayed the same way for years. They might get a new appliance when it stopped working (although in "those" days appliances lasted 20-30 years) or repaint a room but people weren't fanatical about keeping everything updated. And of course it is all a marketing gimmick. Don't you think the goal of most of the shows on HGTV is to make us look at our house and decide it's not good enough compared to what we see on their shows? Then we go out and start redecorating or hire someone to do a complete make-over. Who benefits? Places like Home Depot, Kitchen & bathroom remodelers, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 12:11 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
So true - years ago when people bought a house it stayed the same way for years. They might get a new appliance when it stopped working (although in "those" days appliances lasted 20-30 years) or repaint a room but people weren't fanatical about keeping everything updated. And of course it is all a marketing gimmick. Don't you think the goal of most of the shows on HGTV is to make us look at our house and decide it's not good enough compared to what we see on their shows? Then we go out and start redecorating or hire someone to do a complete make-over. Who benefits? Places like Home Depot, Kitchen & bathroom remodelers, etc.

Im also thinking that back in the day, no one really put that much emphasis on kitchen appliances they way do now a days.

you have a stove, fridge, and a few choices in color, everyone was happy. No one really ever heard that thier appliances were out dated, (like it was a mortal sin) if it broke, you bought a new one....

today, and Im thinking because of HGTV, they are making people insane when it comes to appliances, its actually sickening.

your either a good cook, or your not, having a viking stove isnt going to make that much of a difference, from a GE stove.....

and whether your milk is in a sub zero fridge or sears kenmore fridge, it will still stay cold.

its all a money making scam.....and to bad there are such dumb people that fall for it..

i think shows like "this old house" were better, as they taught you how to do things in your home, and you learned something, they introduced new products for repairs....etc, they let you know what was out there.

where as HGTV were hearing things like" I can see the neighbors house", 'the yard isnt big enough for fluffy"
"were gonna open this up" this is so dated......

Last edited by nightcrawler; 08-15-2017 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-15-2017, 12:20 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
The whole purpose of advertising and marketing of consumer goods is to make us dissatisfied with what we have now. Why? $$$$$$$, that's why.

We should not blindly accept the dictates of advertisers and marketeers as actual needs or requirements.
fabulous post!

Old 08-21-2017, 01:08 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I haven't hung it yet.. waiting for my electrician to fit me in his schedule.

This is an old e-bay pic.. this is a single tier.

I have nine lights, these have six.. I just hope it isn't too heavy and comes crashing down.. the electrician will have to go into the attic.. to make sure it is well supported.

Pair 2 Quoizel Lafayette Pineapple Gold Coast Bahama Collection Chandelier lamps | eBay
Love love LOVE these! Definitely my style!

Old 08-26-2017, 02:56 PM

68 posts, read 71,182 times
I've never understood how people are so influenced by "trends", honestly. Gray paint would've looked horrible in a Victorian house with rich, dark hardwoods like mine in 1890 and would look equally horrible now. The blonde Pergo I desperately want to rip out of my kitchen was just as hideous in 2005 as it is now (and I said as much at the time). I still like the mauve/pink and dark green-blue palettes of the '90s and also the olive green palette of the '70s, even though the latter predates my birth, because I simply like those colors. Likewise, no amount of staring at the beige-on-tan palette so popular in the '00s made me hate it less.

This is all personal, of course, but what I like really hasn't changed much since I was a teenager.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion Garden View Post
I've never understood how people are so influenced by "trends", honestly. Gray paint would've looked horrible in a Victorian house with rich, dark hardwoods like mine in 1890 and would look equally horrible now. The blonde Pergo I desperately want to rip out of my kitchen was just as hideous in 2005 as it is now (and I said as much at the time). I still like the mauve/pink and dark green-blue palettes of the '90s and also the olive green palette of the '70s, even though the latter predates my birth, because I simply like those colors. Likewise, no amount of staring at the beige-on-tan palette so popular in the '00s made me hate it less.

This is all personal, of course, but what I like really hasn't changed much since I was a teenager.
I never cared for the avocado greens and golden harvest colors of the late seventies, and the browns of the early eighties, or the southwest colors that came later. I always gravitated toward colors of the Impressionist painters. I still love aquas, blues and greens. But I do love them against the grayed walls of my home.

I think people tire of things. In the late sixties and early seventies, the colors were warm. Warm yellows, oranges, browns, golds. Colors have moved around a lot, but we have so many cool colors available to us now, and these colors frankly make me happy, especially when paired with wood tones. Remember past years when wood was everywhere? Yikes!

20 years from now people will be making fun of our gray walls. But now gray is very popular. Just have a look at the S-W Pottery Barn colors, or the Benjamin Moore colors. There are also whites out there, and it seems to me there is a movement toward white as a wall color. But perhaps whites have been trending for longer than I think. And white is always a good option, if a little dull to my eyes.

When fat white trim is no longer as popular as it is now, I imagine gray will fade as well. Gray really looks good with bright white trim. So I think the two trends emphasize each other.

Even when we are at odds with the current trend, as I certainly was with the colors of the seventies, we can still find ways to let our personalities shine. There will always be multitudes of colors to choose from for our walls, and we can often find colors in older accent pieces that are no longer available now by shopping vintage or antique.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:23 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,047 times
real old hardwood floors
wood burning fireplaces
crystal looking chandeliers
anything soft
cookies-always- on the coffee table [keep frozen cookies in freezer and put on tray before answering door]
a wall dedicated to decades of childrens and grandchildrens artwork
flowers everywhere [and I do not care if they are fake]
cool stuff found outdoors

Old 08-26-2017, 09:27 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Oh Boy my whole house screams of I do not care what is in style or not and what I truly love. I have very light wild iris walls in kitchen dinning room bathrooms guest room and a very pale mint green in the living room hallway and master bedroom. Accented with purples and turquoise and lots of white draped furniture. Yes throws on everything I have many animals inside. Need to have easy wash.I have antiques and vintage everything for furniture. Excluding appliances nothing but a few things were bought new. Recliner ,TV ,and Love seat. Well mattresses for beds. Tv can go way it is just hard to get rid of it when it in only a little over a year old but it has not been turned on since at least December. Hubby watched Tv. I do not. And yes I even have n antique buffet in the bedroom. Oh My. Honestly I know I just have too much stuff but every time I get rid of some thing and have a hole I just fill it again. Oh well. It all makes me happy.
I would so love to drink a cup of coffee at your house.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:20 PM

534 posts, read 489,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
This is where I'm at now! I am now inspired by blending and adding myself with whatever house I have, rather than just ripping it all out because it's "dated' per current fashions.

There is a weird correlation around age and what's in fashion. In houses and in people! Until a certain age is reached, then it's OK to be worshipped again. Nobody really does documentaries on middle-aged people...just the really old, or else the fabulous and youthful. Nobody likes a middle-age house..."it's so dated!" but after a time, it becomes 'classic', and then 'antique.' It's funny! At one point every antique house was just middle-aged and dated. It all depends on what part of the spectrum you're looking at.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:29 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typical_guinea_pig View Post
This is where I'm at now! I am now inspired by blending and adding myself with whatever house I have, rather than just ripping it all out because it's "dated' per current fashions.

There is a weird correlation around age and what's in fashion. In houses and in people! Until a certain age is reached, then it's OK to be worshipped again. Nobody really does documentaries on middle-aged people...just the really old, or else the fabulous and youthful. Nobody likes a middle-age house..."it's so dated!" but after a time, it becomes 'classic', and then 'antique.' It's funny! At one point every antique house was just middle-aged and dated. It all depends on what part of the spectrum you're looking at.
When I think of a dated house, I think of low number of electric outlets, small rooms, cut up floor plan, aged appliances, kitchen carpet, floor plan with no entry, tiny garage, tiny kitchen, tiny windows. Most of us do not like things like that.

In terms of something not being trendy, well, that is another story. I still have a fondness for late fifties, early sixties houses with hipped roofs and brick exteriors, especially if it is a rambler. But I would probably hate living in one with the aforementioned characteristics. Of course if one falls in love with an old fashioned house, and has a large budget for remodeling, that is different. I've never been in that category, however, so when I've moved to a newer house I've always been delighted with the improvements that made sense to me.

If I was really wealthy I'd find a two level Tudor built in around 1920. I'd remodel, keeping the "character" bits and add the good wiring and possibly refine the floor plan. I know just what neighborhood I'd choose, too. But this isn't the cards for me.

I do like looking at houses though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating